How to remove sticker glue from consoles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to remove sticker glue from consoles

I've decided to remove a console sticker on put on my N64 in 1998. Unfortunately it did not come off cleanly, leaving a thick white coating that water and a cloth won't budge. I read lighter fluid will help and so far it is but its still leaving some of the glue. Anyone got any more tips and advice?

Goo Gone.

Comment

Nail polish remover always worked for me when the tacky stuff got left on game boxes.

Comment

Its not tacky glue, its just so dried into the plastic, cant even scratch it out. Im still trying lighter fluid and its starting to come out now, think its just going to be a lot of hard work, cheers for the suggestions though, i'll try them if this doesnt come out 100%

Comment

Lighter fluid, works a treat, does not mark like acetone (nail polish remover) can do on certain plastics and washes off afterwards with no residue.

EDIT - Sorry did not realise you are already using it.

Comment

I use peanut butter, lol seriously it works. The oil in the peanut butter dissolves the glue & because it's thick you can leave it on for a few hours then take it off. Obviously you can only use it on non cardboard stuff due to the oil.

Comment

Anyone got any techniques as well or cloths to recommend? Such as doing it in a circular motion or using a kitchen sponge (which is what i did).

Comment

I used paper towels, basically nothing to scratch it. Depends on what you use to melt the glue as some could leave the plastic a bit more fragile & succeptible to scratching, ideally you want whatever your using to soak into the glue so leave a pool of it on to soak.

In my case when i got my pachislot the instruction sticker was coming away from the panel & the glue left behind was really strong, i read online & found out about peanut butter. So i got a jar & slowly started adding it to my panel, i was sceptical but about half an hour later i wiped a bit away with a paper towel & the residual glue just slid off.

Comment

Originally posted by RetroRevival View Post
                  Lighter fluid, works a treat, does not mark like acetone (nail polish remover) can do on certain plastics and washes off afterwards with no residue.

EDIT - Sorry did not realise you are already using it.
                  Nail polish remover didn't leave a mark for me Maybe there are different strengths or something. This was back in the PS1 days when I used this so it could be that the tougher plastic cases helped too. Not sure what it would be like on the modern DVD cases.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Sack View Post
                    I've decided to remove a console sticker on put on my N64 in 1998. Unfortunately it did not come off cleanly, leaving a thick white coating that water and a cloth won't budge. I read lighter fluid will help and so far it is but its still leaving some of the glue. Anyone got any more tips and advice?
                    A small amount of white spirit will do the job nice on a console, apply to a cotton bud then to the sticker residue

Comment

Lighter fluid is the best thing you can use. Leave a pool of it on the offending mark, and then wipe off.
                      Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Working...
                      X