No announcement yet.

New Dreamcast Blog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today we take a look at the Dural over the Black Belt projects and why Sega made the decision they did. But were they justified?

Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

Comment

Interesting article. Sounds like they made the right decision, but why were they always so fixated on playing off their US and Japanese divisions against each other? You'd have thought they learned their lesson after the Mega CD/32X debacle.

I always thought Sega's focus on new hardware was a bit shortsighted. They had way too much stuff in R&D for most of the 90s. Unifying their strategy rather than burning millions on developing stuff that would never be released might've helped too.

Comment

Both projects progressed but in early 2007 Sega made the decision to cancel the Black Belt project and proceed with Dural.
        Typo?

Comment

Ooops, yeah. Thanks for picking that one out.

Comment

Very good. One complaint is I find the text a bit small to read.

Comment

Do you use IE? IE seems to have a problem with the text on the site. I haven't had any issues with other browsers though.

Comment

The Sega fan in me wishes Sega hadn't bothered with the 32X or even the Mega CD and instead had supported the MD/Genesis totally and to a lesser extent the GG and perhaps released a new model of it later on featuring a smaller thinner build with less batteries. Then come with their 32bit machine in November 95 in Japan and 2nd half of 96 in the US and Europe featuring an SH3 chip and early Power VR 1 for it's GPU.

Comment

Exactly, i think in 1996 they had like 7 consoles on the go - Master System, Megadrive, Mega CD, Game Gear, 32X, Nomad, Saturn....they definitely overstretched themselves.

Comment

Yeah totally. And the sad thing is if they had gone with a more powerful but simpler designed 32 bit system like the one i mentioned a year later than they did with the Saturn it could of carried them through to like 2001 when they could of launched their 128 bit console. Around the time of the Gamecube's launch they could of made a machine featuring a 400mhz Hitachi SH5 chip with a Power VR3 GPU and 48mb ram (twice that of DC) they could also of used DVD and had it play DVD movies aswel as making it backward compatible with their previous 32 bit design. They could of launched a machine like this around the end of 2001 for no more than 299.

Comment

Where was you when Sega needed you!

Comment

What the hell is Segagaga? Check out my short play through of the game to find out more.

Comment

Did anything ever come of the people behind doing the translation, last I checked, it had been going on for years..and this was a long time ago!
                          It looks amazing...tongue and cheek - gutsy and wonderful.

Comment

Yeah, it seems to be on hold unfortunately. The guys seemed to be doing an awesome job too.....http://www.adilegian.com/Segagaga/

Comment

I am looking to add a magazine section to the website so if anyone has any files of any magazines which were published around the DC period (multi-format magazines are welcome too) and you would like to share them with the DC community, please let me know! http://dreamcastgaga.blogspot.jp/

Comment

Magazine section now up, http://dreamcastgaga.blogspot.jp/201...magazines.html

Comment

Working...
                                X