Sega Nomad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sega Nomad

I've never had one before. Has anyone any views on them who have owned one, are they worth picking up for a bit of fun. I know they are massive and eat batteries, not too worried about that.

Originally posted by SUMIRE View Post
    I know they are massive and eat batteries
    That's the gist of it pretty much. When it's up and running, with that massive battery pack strapped to the back, game cartridge awkwardly poking out the top, and with the angular design of the Nomad itself, it's certainly an ungainly machine. But that's all part of it's charm for me.

I must say, I never play the thing though.

Comment

I think these days, a PSP and the Picodrive emulator is the best bet - better battery life, better screen, smaller form factor, MegaCD support etc.

But for sheer novelty value, I'd love a Nomad.

Comment

I bought one cheap and sold it on. I played it mostly hooked up to the tv with rgb scart. Decent picture quality and region free, but not nice to hold and I didn't like the buttons either.

Comment

Not really worth it for anything other than adding to a collection these days. Agree with the PSP and Picodrive suggestion- knocks spots off the Nomad.

Edit: Should probably point out that I played one years ago and was amazed, then borrowed one last year and was underwhelmed.
          Last edited by Decider-VT; 31-10-2012, 18:21.

Comment

I had one when I was in hospital in 1999 and it was pretty fun then. Now the PSP knocks spots off it. Save states, better battery, MCD support.

Comment

The problem with retro handhelds is that the screens are terrible (and really small), and they eat batteries like a bitch.

Maybe there's a couple of exceptions, but these hold generally true for me. Even the NGPC, which I'm a massive fan of, has such a bollocks little dark screen on it that it's rendered virtually unusable when you're used to iPhones and PS Vitas.

Comment

yeah I think the main problem that is stopping me from buying one is how blurry the screen appears to be. Thanks for the replies chaps.

Comment

I agree with what's been said, had one years ago, awful screen and was clearly rubbish even back then.

Comment

Originally posted by acidbearboy View Post
                    I bought one cheap and sold it on. I played it mostly hooked up to the tv with rgb scart. Decent picture quality and region free, but not nice to hold and I didn't like the buttons either.
                    I don't think they're region free.

It's just that the region locking is determined by the cart and it's only really common in later MD games.

Comment

Working...
                    X