Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Famicom suggestions/advice

Looking at getting a Famicom.

Now, I know strictly they can't output RGB but I figure eventually I'll just drop in a PlayChoice-10 PPU and put up with the slightly off colours. I've read the AV Famicom is the best of the Famicom machines to do this with as it's got the best composite video and so results in the cleanest image.

I'm just wondering if the disk system is worth bothering with, and if it is, would it be worth me getting a Sharp Twin Famicom instead? Possibly the second revision with longer controller cables and turbo fire.

Damn you GameCenter CX!

Double post.
    Last edited by Baseley09; 06-11-2012, 23:17.

Comment

The Famicom titler is the only one to produce RGB I think, though it will probably cost a mint.

Comment

Bun the Titler. The Titler has a similar PPU to the PlayChoice-10, but the PC-10 PPU is far more common. There's not much in it really.

Titler needs internal modification to tap RGB also.

Comment

To be honest, I have started to think the line blending present in the comp FC/NES has a certain charm to it. Look at this page and highlight your mouse over Blaster Master:

When I read about what dropping a Playchoice PPU does to the colours (browns end up pink, everything else is too bright, etc), I shy far away from the idea. The FC Titler doesn't seem to do that.

As for getting a Famicom Disk System, you're probably better off buying a NES Powerpak flash cartridge and an adapter to run it on your Famicom. It's compatibility is pretty high for FDS games, and there's no worry about moving parts or the fragility of the floppy. Plus you can put the entire GoodNES set on it, and then run them on actual hardware. There's only a few multi-disk games which aren't compatible, so I'm told, but there are adventure games.

I'm getting one in the post anyday, with a US NES which I'm going to perform an audio mod on for 5-channel Famicom audio (you just solder a 47k resistor to pins 3 and 9 on the underside). The controllers and style are ugly, but it's 60Hz and I'll have every Famicom game at my disposal. Including fan-translations and hack improvements.

It depends. Are you interested in a set-up purely for style (the gold FC is quite beautiful), or do you just want access to all the best games, on actual hardware, at 60Hz?

Comment

Well, putting aside the RGB for a sec (can buy specialized board from Japan that simply drop in: http://homepage3.nifty.com/F-LABO/ProductsList.html - they also improve the sound n shiz) compo**** will do. Now you say that Disk titles can be run via flash carts which sounds great. I wouldn't want a Powerpak though due to it's shape. Definitely don't want a toaster either.

The AV Fami may be the one to go for then.

EDIT: Krikzz appears to be making a Famicom Everdrive. I'll wait for that and play real game until those come out.

Also, I was wondering, is the colour of the Famicom cart dependent on anything - say genre?
            Last edited by speedlolita; 07-11-2012, 08:38.

Comment

From all I've seen over the years, there's no logic whatsoever to Famicom cartridges. They just did what they thought looked cool - one of the reasons I like the system. There's none of that drab consistency you get with other machines. Some FC games even have little lights on them (like Spelunker). And there are various "sets" of specific themed designs from some companies.

---

Yeah, the toaster NES is ugly. And it needs modding for audio. AV Fami's are great, from what I've heard. If I had limitless money I'd buy an original Famicom modded for AV comp output, with some controller slots added so you can remove the two hardwired pads.

Stay away from the NES model 2 - it looks like an AV Famicom, but it's RF and they screwed up the innards so the visuals are degraded (ugly vertical bars throughout).

I can't speak for the PowerPak, since it's not arrived yet. But reading various forums, there's been quite a few developments by third parties regarding the mappers. It's even possible to create an SRAM save for any game, at any point in the game! Which is bloody handy. FDS games require disk images with a full header, so you'll need the GoodNES archive, or a reliable source.

Most problems people have are from bad ROM/Disk dumps. Also, a few games won't work at all, like Lagrange Point, due to the custom Konami sound chip inside. Then again, it's a Japanese RPG and I'd prefer to play it fan-translated. You do need to do some work with the flash cart though - like making a custom cocktail of mapper drivers from several sources (official site, Loopy's mappers, the save guy's mappers, etc).

Despite the inherently ugly hardware, I'm rather looking forward to this. I'm keen to try out Almana no Kiseki on actual hardware, along with translations of several games which I'd only emulated before.

The Everdrive sounds interesting! I'd not heard of it previously.

EDIT:

In case you've not seen it, some lovely photos here:
              famicomblog.blogspot.com

Bloody hell, look at the price! Best shmup on the system!

Last edited by Sketcz; 07-11-2012, 09:00.

Comment

So, er, Hit-Japan listed an AV Fami 6 hours ago and it had an offer so I straight up bought it. Looks to be minty mint. Awesome. Just need to choose a few games now.

RE: Famicom - if you ever did want one AV modded and the pads modularized let me know. It's what I was half planning to do before but I don't fancy the chances of the plastic yellowing.

Comment

This might be of interest if yellowing bothers you (no experience myself, but the sicence was interesting):

Comment

Mmm. Vanpeebles said that the yellowing makes the plastic brittle too though. Anyway, I'm happy.

Comment

Not a Famicom, but the Top Loader NES. This guy makes an "RGB to Component" Mod. I wonder if the same quality can be achieved with a/ny Famicom. It's the same hardware...?

Be sure to LIKE and SUBSCRIBE! It really helps!Visit my website for more info: www.game-tech.usEmail = [email protected] up the BA6592F rgb to ...

Comment

Would cost at least ?200.

Comment

Working...
                        X