No announcement yet.

Shocking ebay prices! 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All fair points, but for those people only just getting in to gaming of that era now, who the **** is dropping £300 on some piece of garbage like say an Atari Jaguar (seen loads in sold listings) receiving it and thinking, "yeah, I've made a good purchase here, this is awesome"??? They were crap when you could pick them up for £30 out of simple curiosity. Hundreds of pounds each on relatively common MD/SFC/PCE games? Is everyone earning a fortune these days?

Comment

Even more weird as during this pandemic it's not like everyones working or still has a job so you would have thought money would be tight. I'm just glad i tread so far off the beaten path most youtubers don't know squat about the stuff i tend to buy so the prices are not too insane.

Comment

The prices are completely mental, I agree.

It's even madder when you consider you can easily play all these games for free, if that's really what you want to do - just play them. It's certainly what I do

EDIT:

Just checked Ebay as people paying £300 for a Jaguar had to be seen to be believed. Absolutely incredible

Comment

I always end up finding something to collect that I'm OK with paying the prices for. I'm currently on a Yahoo Auctions binge for Super Famicom games. If you're happy to go cart only (and buy through proxy), then you can have almost all the good games on the system for under £40, a good chunk for under a tenner.

Comment

Id agree, emulation is a valid path if you are interested in retrogaming. CD based stuff a bit trickier to get hold of and run but it's a great way of trying anything out and if you truly like it after playing you can then think about adding a real copy to your collection. I have much more respect for people that do the work and find stuff they like by researching and trying out rather than just been told what they should be liking from the same cookie cutter top 10 lists.

LOL £300 for a crappy Jaguar the world is truly ending

Comment

Good points here, I can understand some of the resentment over high prices, I guess people who were there first time round feel like gatekeepers of that hardware/software and can see them slipping away with the insane pricing, that's natural.

You can get the odd good deal, it's a real waiting game but it's getting less there is definitely some hoarding going on.

Comment

I was watching this thing on Amazon last night about game 'collectors' and they'll literally just buy any old **** in order to have their wall of crap behind them in their youtube videos. I couldn't even get twenty minutes in to it without turning it off after seeing the ****holes they all live in.

Comment

Emulation or flashcarts/ODEs is really the only way to go if you are interested in playing (not collecting) older games to be honest, as many of the prices for original software are now just so high.

I'm glad opinions have changed in that regard - 15 years ago on here and elsewhere, there was still a significant contingent who were very anti-ROMs, considering it piracy. And that was in the days BEFORE Virtual Consoles and Live Arcade and others offered at least a selection of older games legally (and cheaply).

Pretty funny that so many people felt that way in retrospect. A bit like saying you're immoral if you read Action Comics #1 without spending £3 million!

Comment

€250 for an SD2SNES though... I'm wondering if it's cheaper for me to just stick to the carts I'm interested in.

I wish I could say the same for both the NeoGeo and CPS stuff. No other choice but to go the MiSTer route for all that.

I could sell my PCE and Super Famicom and get the MiSTer, but something's holding me back from doing that. Maybe the regret of off-loading everything I had before, coupled with my love for the machines.

Comment

I was admittedly anti Rom back then, definite change of opinion now though, love my Raspberry Pi!

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                        I was watching this thing on Amazon last night about game 'collectors' and they'll literally just buy any old **** in order to have their wall of crap behind them in their youtube videos. I couldn't even get twenty minutes in to it without turning it off after seeing the ****holes they all live in.
                        But how are viewers meant to know tubers are hardcore unless they have a wall of (usually cart only) games to show how leet they are

Comment

Honestly guys if you want to see retro game scrubs, Instagram is the place to go. People showing stuff off either in horrifying condition or playing games via kit like the SupaBoy, which stretches SNES games into 16:9

Originally posted by dataDave

€250 for an SD2SNES though... I'm wondering if it's cheaper for me to just stick to the carts I'm interested in.

I wish I could say the same for both the NeoGeo and CPS stuff. No other choice but to go the MiSTer route for all that.

I could sell my PCE and Super Famicom and get the MiSTer, but something's holding me back from doing that. Maybe the regret of off-loading everything I had before, coupled with my love for the machines.
                          On the flipside though, it's pretty awesome how many options there are now for playing old games. Emulation via PC, Raspberry Pi or Chinese handhelds, sophisticated flashcarts and ODEs, dedicated FPGA systems, multi-system FPGA systems...it's pretty incredible really, and it's where we really see the benefit of the boom in retrogaming popularity.

It might have driven up prices of original software, but it's made possible a thriving cottage industry of other options.
                          Last edited by wakka; 24-08-2020, 12:25.

Comment

I'd love a small collection of games only because my boy loves nothing more than pulling boxes off of shelves (or out of boxes, currently) and studying the artwork and screens. He could spend all day doing that with what little I have left, let alone what I had before.

The magic just isn't there with a bunch of ROMz on an SD card. Even for adult me.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                              Honestly guys if you want to see retro game scrubs, Instagram is the place to go. People showing stuff off either in horrifying condition or playing games via kit like the SupaBoy, which stretches SNES games into 16:9

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                                The magic just isn't there with a bunch of ROMz on an SD card. Even for adult me.
                                Can I suggest therapy? It'll be cheaper than rebuilding your collection!

Comment

Working...
                                X