Battle of the Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asura View Post
    with the many people walking around in the UK with Chinese tattoos that say "chicken-fried rice".
    Hahaha, now that is funny

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
      Yes it was!

There was even a NES sequel with the same character, Johnny Thomas, but all of the relations are weak, at best!

Finally, you probably all know Vigilante is a loose sequel, but there was a "Super Kung-Fu Master/Spartan X 2/Beyond Kung-Fu" made but never released! (Skip to about 1:22)

That was a very interesting video, especially the speculation on westernizing Vigilante to give it broader appeal in the increasingly important western market. if you look back this was something nintendo did nearly from the outset.

if that's the guy's actual living space, that's sad. super hardcore nintendo fans really are a bit much.
      Last edited by usman; 12-10-2015, 02:59.

Comment

According to the 10 Pence Podcast guys Kung Fu Master isn't quite emulated properly in MAME. The jump kick is off. Either way, its ****ing brutal. Nice to see the Speccy version again being ****.

Comment

Speccy versions mostly tend to be ****

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
            Speccy versions mostly tend to be ****
            Mostly? Far too kind...

Comment

Thanks for doing Kung Fu Master. I really enjoyed that in the arcades back in the 80s. Some terrible ports, but the Famicom one, which is how I play the game now, is excellent.

You can't kill the snakes, by the way. You either have to destroy the vases before they fall, or get out of the way of the snakes.

Comment

Originally posted by tomato View Post
                You can't kill the snakes, by the way. You either have to destroy the vases before they fall, or get out of the way of the snakes.
                Ah, that explains why they'd never die

Comment

Battle of the Ports - Flyiong Shark is out now

Comment

Love Flying Shark! (I have the pcb). FM Towns version looks great.

Toaplan did a few shooters like like this, Dai Sen Pu and Fire Shark spring to mind.

Have you covered Slap Fight yet? The MD version goes for silly money.

Comment

I've not covered Slap Fight yet. I do own the MD version though.

Comment

Time for a new BOTP - Pac-Land

Comment

YES!

I LOVE Pac-Land! Thank you!

I keep meaning to ask you who does the alternative themes, but because I watched to the end, I now know! I even went back to check the Kung-Fu Master video's credits!

I also watched to the end to see if you made it over the springboard lake.

You didn't!

I love how the game is packed full of secrets. Push the fire hydrant back to get a helmet that deflects the ghost 👻 babies being dropped from the planes, jumping on the first three hydrants generates extra cherries 🍒 , pushing certain cactuses 🌵 either warps you home 🏡 or grants invincibility, the double hydrants launch you to the roofline to avoid the planes, balloons giving extra points and jumping at the break time gives extra points.

I love the character design and, as you say in your video, it was altered slightly in the West to match the cartoon.

There was also a Pac-Land LCD Game:

I never understood why Pac-Man risked his life to get flying boots 👢 that disappeared the next day.

Maybe he needs to get out of the Pac-house to escape a nagging Pac-wife and screaming Pac-baby?

Finally, just because I like it, here's the poster:
                          Last edited by QualityChimp; 31-10-2015, 08:37.

Comment

I remember when I was a kid watching a girl beast Pac-Land. I'm now off to see if I can find a video of someone completing it.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                              YES!

I LOVE Pac-Land! Thank you!

I keep meaning to ask you who does the alternative themes, but because I watched to the end, I now know! I even went back to check the Kung-Fu Master video's credits!

I also watched to the end to see if you made it over the springboard lake.

You didn't!
                              Hehe, yeah, I know how to do the pool jump. Just need to hit the spring board at the right place and hammer the jump button

I used to love the Pacman cartoon as a kid, it was one of my favourite shows.

Comment

I thought you kept tapping the stick right, not jump?

Maybe that's why you kept giving him a Pac-bath?

Comment

Working...
                                X