No announcement yet.

Battle of the Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was actually really nice to turn on the widescreen setting on the Xbox, and see most games use it (PS2 games didn't until quite late in the machine's life). I think the Xbox version of Soul Calibur 2 was the best for this reason; set to widescreen it backed up the camera slightly to give a wider view.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
      It was actually really nice to turn on the widescreen setting on the Xbox, and see most games use it (PS2 games didn't until quite late in the machine's life). I think the Xbox version of Soul Calibur 2 was the best for this reason; set to widescreen it backed up the camera slightly to give a wider view.
      I remember SEGA GT 2002 even having a new title screen if played in Widescreen .

Comment

It was actually really nice to turn on the widescreen setting on the Xbox, and see most games use it
        It was nice when developers started to take advantage of 16:9. Ferrari F355 on the Dreamcast offered a widescreen option before most people had widescreens, so it was nice to have that option when I upgraded to a 32" widescreen in 2001.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
          It was nice when developers started to take advantage of 16:9. Ferrari F355 on the Dreamcast offered a widescreen option before most people had widescreens, so it was nice to have that option when I upgraded to a 32" widescreen in 2001.
          The 1st games I remember was Panzer Dragoon Zwei and NIGHTS seeing a wide option and also quite N64 games supported true widescreen modes

Comment

Quite a few early PS2 games had wide support. Later PS1 games had it too. Wipeout 3 being a key one.

The thing with a lot of early wide games is proper wide-screen vs a lot of faked zoom wide settings.
            GT3 has real wide-screen. Jak and Daxter has a zoom wide mode. Cheating.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post

The thing with a lot of early wide games is proper wide-screen vs a lot of faked zoom wide settings.
              GT3 has real wide-screen. Jak and Daxter has a zoom wide mode. Cheating.
              I think the graphics don't look as sharp when the widescreen mode is faked. I seem to remember that true 16:9 games looked really nice. You could tell when it wasn't true 16:9, as it was similar to 4:3 being stretched, in the way the graphics didn't have that nice sharp look you expect with genuine 16:9.

Comment

I think the graphics don't look as sharp when the widescreen mode is faked. I seem to remember that true 16:9 games looked really nice. You could tell when it wasn't true 16:9, as it was similar to 4:3 being stretched, in the way the graphics didn't have that nice sharp look you expect with genuine 16:9.
                From a developer's perspective you can see why, on consoles like the PS2 where performance was always at a premium.

If you render the extra bits to go on the sides for Widescreen, you're effectively rendering a larger resolution (not sure what proportion higher it is, but maybe 25%?).

If you crop & magnify, you're rendering less so performance is actually higher.

Comment

Not really sure performance is the issue. After all games like Gran Turismo 3/4 and Final Fantasy XII had true 16/9 and they were not exactly games that skimped on visuals etc.

I'd say it's more the fact it was the birth of wide-screen in general. Was it worth using extra effort or resources for something that wasn't standard in 2001. Even games like Resident Evil 4 wasn't true wide-screen on the GameCube.

Only a wiki but if you look here plenty of Xbox games didn't have 16/9.

There were games that were 50hz only too despite the console having a 60hz mode.
                  Last edited by nakamura; 18-12-2015, 23:09.

Comment

If you crop & magnify, you're rendering less so performance is actually higher.
                    I have no idea if 16:9 puts more stress on the hardware. I will guess, like you have, that it probably does add a bit of stress. Then again, I wouldn't be suprised if it doesn't really burden the hardware significantly. If it does, I would think it's negligible.

Originally posted by nakamura View Post

I'd say it's more the fact it was the birth of wide-screen in general. Was it worth using extra effort or resources for something that wasn't standard in 2001. Even games like Resident Evil 4 wasn't true wide-screen on the GameCube.

When I started collecting PS2 & Xbox games a few years ago, I was shocked to find that a lot of games didn't run in 16:9. I had assumed, back in the day, that 16:9 was the standard for most games.

Even Halo on the Xbox isn't widescreen. I'm now embarassed to admit that I thought it was 16:9 back in the day and played it in widescreen. A game like that being 4:3 shows how widescreen wasn't seen as a 'must-have' feature by a lot of devs.

I actually play most PS2, GameCube and Xbox games in 4:3, simply because the low resolution looks better in that aspect. Games from that gen tend to look soft/blurry in widescreen. Of course, when a game was developed especially for 16:9, it can look nice and sharp. Sadly, not many games from that gen look really sharp.

Comment

Halo must be, surely, as when you play it two-player it splits the screen vertically. In 4:3 mode it splits it horizontally.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                        Halo must be, surely, as when you play it two-player it splits the screen vertically. In 4:3 mode it splits it horizontally.
                        Yes, vertically - also known as the correct way (I'm looking at you, Gears of War). Then each player gets a pretty-much square screen. I can't believe some games are persisting in using a horizontal split in the era of widescreen.

I have no idea if 16:9 puts more stress on the hardware. I will guess, like you have, that it probably does add a bit of stress. Then again, I wouldn't be suprised if it doesn't really burden the hardware significantly. If it does, I would think it's negligible.
                        You've misunderstood - I'm saying you either crop and magnify (rendering an overall lower resolution) or simply render the extra 20% of the screen. The first is always going to have better performance.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                          Halo is listed as being a 4:3 game. It is interesting that it splits the screen differently depending on how the Xbox output is set. I guess when you set the machine to 16:9 it just upscales the 4:3 image to a fake 16:9.

You've misunderstood - I'm saying you either crop and magnify (rendering an overall lower resolution) or simply render the extra 20% of the screen. The first is always going to have better performance.
                          I was just saying that a true 16:9 image probably does put a bit of extra stress on the hardware, but maybe not too much. But if you take a 4:3 image, crop it to make a fake 16:9 look, then of course, that's not going to affect performance.

Like DVDs with a cropped 16:9 image, games with a fake 16:9 image don't look as sharp. It was always nice when you got a true 16:9 image, as it looked far sharper than cropped and stretched.

Comment

From a developer's perspective you can see why, on consoles like the PS2 where performance was always at a premium.
                            PS2 was a bit of a joke at times, hell loads of its games couldn't even handle a 640x480 display . I have to say that while the graphics weren't that great Spikeout was pretty amwesome in widescreen .

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                              Spikeout was pretty amwesome in widescreen .
                              I haven't played it for a long time, but I remember it looked really nice and sharp. You get a nice clarity with proper 16:9 games.

Comment

I haven't played it for a long time, but I remember it looked really nice and sharp. You get a nice clarity with proper 16:9 games.
                                You just had great view with no clipping and the draw distance went on for miles . I have to say that for me the N64 really got the ball rolling in 16.9 and also dolby suround sound.

Comment

Working...
                                X