Battle of the Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it's an "era" thing.

Virtua Cop/House of the Dead 1 for me are significant because they "brought back" the light gun shooter genre, which had grown stale.

However, I personally believe the finest light-gun shooter ever conceived is Time Crisis 2, played in the arcade in 2-player mode, with Silent Scope 1 as a close second.

Comment

After Virtua Cop and HOTD 1-3, the quality is questionable
      Far better than the latter Time Crisis games after part II imo .

However, I personally believe the finest light-gun shooter ever conceived is Time Crisis 2, played in the arcade in 2-player mode, with Silent Scope 1 as a close second.
      I think the Lost World is the best light gun I've ever played and I did like Silent Scope too. Have to say 2 Spicy is ace light gun game that really tried to be different and it just so cool to play and look at and I just love Lets Go Jungle 3D .

Comment

For me T2 and Operation Thunderbolt are where it's at. Love Op Wolf too but gun games are always better with a mate.

Comment

There was a PS1-specific Time Crisis game, wasn't there? Was that any good?

Comment

Far better than the latter Time Crisis games after part II imo .
            Sorry. No way. Time Crisis 3 and Crisis Zone are every bit as good as Virtua Cop and HOTD 1-3.

If we're honest, Virtua Cop 2 is rubbish.

Namco GunCon games have aged better by far.
            Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 28-12-2015, 10:29.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
              Sorry. No way. Time Crisis 3 and Crisis Zone are every bit as good as Virtua Cop and HOTD 1-3.

If we're honest, Virtua Cop 2 is rubbish.

Namco GunCon games have aged better by far.
              Your opinion that that's fine . Never really liked TC III on the PS2 much (thought it looked pretty basic too) and to me what just outcalssed in the visual and gameplay dept by HOTD II . TC 4 in both the Arcades and PS3 is a bit of a horror show imo ; looks pretty crap and plays pretty crap too , the likes of VC III, HOTD III, HOTD IV are 'for me' better games and have aged better , never mind the likes of HOTD II

Comment

100th Show!!

Comment

One thing Yakumo - you play on emulators, right?

The Saturn version's chief advantage over the PS1 version is that running on console, the loading times are much shorter on the Saturn. Not as lightning-quick as the arcade version but still significantly shorter. The Gen stage stuff is true, but not something the average person notices - but the loading times were very apparent.

Comment

Easy win for the Saturn

Comment

Considering the technology and what it's trying to do, always thought the SNES conversion was pretty impressive, if not 100% accurate as you say.
                      Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                        One thing Yakumo - you play on emulators, right?

The Saturn version's chief advantage over the PS1 version is that running on console, the loading times are much shorter on the Saturn. Not as lightning-quick as the arcade version but still significantly shorter. The Gen stage stuff is true, but not something the average person notices - but the loading times were very apparent.
                        Err, the Saturn version was running on real hardware. I NEVER emulate Saturn stuff because I own 99% of the entire Japanese library Also I edit a lot of the loading times because there's nothing worse than watch a game load on a video.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                          Considering the technology and what it's trying to do, always thought the SNES conversion was pretty impressive, if not 100% accurate as you say.
                          This.

Arguably far more impressive than the much-lauded Street Fighter Alpha 3 Upper on the GBA.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                            This.

Arguably far more impressive than the much-lauded Street Fighter Alpha 3 Upper on the GBA.
                            I like to think the Game Coy Color Street Fighter Alpha was very impressive for the time. It's low-detail, but it plays extremely well for the platform. I used to think it was the best pre-NGPC handheld fighter until I saw Yakumo's look at Fatal Fury for Game Gear on Battle of the Ports.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                              The only think I dislike about it is that it's a bit choppy and noticeably slower when played two-player, and unfortunately fighters can only truly be enjoyed when played this way.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                                I like to think the Game Coy Color Street Fighter Alpha was very impressive for the time. It's low-detail, but it plays extremely well for the platform. I used to think it was the best pre-NGPC handheld fighter until I saw Yakumo's look at Fatal Fury for Game Gear on Battle of the Ports.

Street Fighter Alpha on GBC was ported by Crawfish Interactive, the same dev who did SFA3 Upper on GBA.

For me, one of Nintendo's biggest mistakes was letting Crawfish go under instead of buying them out and making them a Nintendo studio. The making of SFA3 Upper killed them as a company.

Capcom don't come out of the SFA3 Upper development looking good either.

Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 03-01-2016, 08:15.

Comment

Working...
                                X