Battle of the Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asura View Post
    I never considered Street Fighter Zero/Alpha to be a complete game, due to the small roster and shared backdrops. I always thought of Alpha-2 as the first completed game of the series.

I'm not sure if I'm the only person who feels this way, but even as a kid I remembered seeing it and thinking it felt unfinished.
    I never liked Zero/Alpha 1 or 2. In the minority there I think.

Comment

Originally posted by k0pp0 View Post
      Me neither for some reason. I went from SSF2 straight to 3S.

Comment

Originally posted by k0pp0 View Post
        Most people I knew were disappointed to see it wasn't 3D. Then again, they were the sorts of people who would've disregarded Metal Slug because it was 2D.

I remember playing Marvel Vs Capcom in a videogames shop for the Dreamcast when it was contemporary, and distinctly heard someone behind me comment "I would've just kept my SNES if I wanted to play that"

I wonder how things would've been if Street Fighter EX had been better.

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
        Me neither for some reason. I went from SSF2 straight to 3S.
        In fairness, it was the 3D era and there was a lot of excitement over gaming's move to 3D. Fighting games were at the forefront of that, as they tended to be the best-looking games (what with only having to render 2 fighters and an arena).

Comment

Big joe is right; two versions of sfz; cpschanger (with different music/cuts) and a cps II version for the arcade

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
            Documented by whom? Genuine question.

To my knowledge, Street Fighter Zero has never been available as a CPS-1 game ever.
            This site is one of two which talks about the CPS I version. I read a Japanese site that said the same thing. See, I'm not making it up

"A slightly downgraded version of Street Fighter Alpha was also released for Capcom's older CPS I arcade board. This was done because Capcom feared that some arcades wouldn't be willing to upgrade to the CPS II board. This version features a different soundtrack with less sound effects."

You emulate the JAMMA versions though right? The versions all of the others are based upon? Oh, the irony.
            Don't be a smart ass. It makes you look stupid. You know exactly what I meant. Why cover an emulated port when it's the same as the original. The point of the show it to show versions that were reprogrammed for the hardware they were running on.

Super Street Fighter II runs on an entirely different board, hence it is an entirely new game. It uses an entirely different engine and has four entirely new characters. However Street Fighter: The Movie came out before Zero did, so that was actually a newer game than Zero anyway.
            what? So in your mind you think because a game is running on new hardware is considered a whole new game? That's stupid! Super Street Fighter 2 is obviously still the same series as the original Street Fighter 2. As for the movie game, that was based upon Super Street Fighter 2 so that isn't a new game. ZERO was a fresh start. All new name all new ideas.
            Last edited by Yakumo; 11-01-2016, 01:58.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
              Having a video trailer for Bio Hazard on the PSX Zero does not even get taken in to consideration for being better. In fact I see it as being tacky. I bought Street Fighter Zero. I don't want ads on my game for another game.
              I should really have given up at this quote, but as I am indeed a smartarse as you said, I shall continue to humour you. Having the Biohazard trailer has ABSOLUTELY NO BEARING WHATSOEVER on the PS1 game being better than the Saturn one. The fact that they both play EXACTLY the same is why the Saturn one isn't better. Why did you even say that, it makes you look stupid. Who's the smart ass now?

Now we've got that out of the way, I will show you that Street Fighter Zero for CPS-1 DOES NOT EXIST. Seeing as you think Wikipedia to be gospel, if you refer to this link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CP_System#List_of_games you will see every single CP System game ever released. Note that Street Fighter Zero is absent on the CPS-1 list as well as the CPS-1.5 list. However, it does feature on this page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CP_System_II with a release date of June 5th, 1995.

Now on this page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_Fighter_Alpha which you had previously referred to, it states "A slightly downgraded version of Street Fighter Alpha was also released for Capcom's older CPS I arcade board. This was done because Capcom feared that some arcades wouldn't be willing to upgrade to the CPS II board. This version features a different soundtrack with less sound effects." and "A port for Capcom's CPS Changer was also released as a mail order release in 1996 in Japan. This version was based on the CPS I version.".
              There is only one thing that is true in those two passages, and that is that the CPS Changer version of Street Fighter Zero was released in 1996.
              As I myself have already said, what arcade operator of sane mind would want to purchase a cut-down 1995 game in 1996? Those who weren't willing to upgrade to the CPS-II board like the Wikipedia page states? Did this arcade not run Super Street Fighter II and/or Super Street Fighter 2 X/Turbo? Would you go to an arcade running a cut-down version of Street Fighter Zero when all the other arcades were running Street Fighter Zero 2? It would be corporate suicide for anybody who bought it thinking they could turn any kind of profit from it. I rest my case...

If you refer to this page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CP_Sys...System_Changer you will find this passage: "The final game for the CPS Changer was a back-ported version of Street Fighter Zero. Originally released on the CP System II hardware, this special CPS Changer version, released at a premium 35,000 yen, was degraded slightly for the older hardware: it had fewer frames of animation for the game characters, fewer onscreen colors, and the sound and music effects were sampled at a lower rate.". That passage is correct.
              If you refer to this page http://www.nintendolife.com/news/201...a_home_console you will read a much more accurate tale of the CPS Changer. However, I ask you to refer to this passage: "A cut-down version of Street Fighter Zero (Alpha in the west) - a CPS2 title released in 1995 - would serve as the CPS Changer's swansong and a gift to those loyal fans who had been dedicated enough to purchase the hardware. "The game was first released on the new, superior CPS2 hardware, but Capcom back-ported it to the CPS1 hardware with a few sacrifices and sold it to the CPS Changer owners," Wright says. Costing 35,000 Yen (?189 / $292 / €258) - almost twice the price of other CPS Changer software - the port lacked animation frames and other elements but would prove to be a significant release in later years. "Interestingly, this move helped emulator authors open up and emulate the new CPS2 system, because the CPS Changer release was largely identical but lacked the difficult encryption found in the CPS2 system," Wright says. "They were able to compare the two systems and work out the tricky bits.".
              There is a sentence within that passage that goes like this: "
              but Capcom back-ported it to the CPS1 hardware with a few sacrifices and sold it to the CPS Changer owners". I would hazard a guess that your misreading is largely why you think that Street Fighter Zero was available on CPS-1.

Now, I'm positive that I have given enough evidence to prove that a CPS-1 version of Street Fighter Zero doesn't exist, and that you are incorrect in what you have said. However, should you be able to actually show me a CPS-1 version of Street Fighter Zero (which you can't), then I will stand corrected.

As for Super Street Fighter II not being an entirely new game because it:

A) Has an entirely new name.
              B) Uses entirely new hardware.
              C) Uses an entirely new engine, built from the ground up
              D) Has entirely new graphics and sounds.
              E) Has four entirely new characters.

against your reasoning of:

A) It still has "II" in it's title.

and
              Super Street Fighter 2 is obviously still the same series as the original Street Fighter 2.
              when it is clearly part of the "Super Street Fighter II" series, then we are just going to have to agree that I am smarter and understand things better than you do I'm afraid. Of course if you can explain to me what
              all new ideas.
              outside of the Zero Counter were (Dramatic Battle came from Street Fighter: Movie. Not "The Movie", but "Movie" BTW), then I'll give you the time it takes the board to revolve.

If you need any help with your forthcoming Street Fighter Zero 3 "Battle of the Ports", then I'm available between 18:00 and 23:59 most evenings.
              Last edited by J0e Musashi; 11-01-2016, 10:28.
              Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

looks like the sucker punch has been dealt......KO

cant see Yakumo taking you up on you SFZ3 help though Joe....lol

Comment

The original SFZ was always my favorite in that series, a small set of characters and a few new BG's with excellent BGM. Me and a buddy caned it on PSOne import remember one intense dramatic battle blowing my mind with 3 supers going off in sequence.

For sure SFZ2 fleshed things out more but didnt have the compact style of the original.

Never liked SFZ3 with its bloated roster and futuristic stylings its the only one ive never cared to own a physical copy of.
                  Last edited by Baseley09; 11-01-2016, 10:20.

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post

I should really have given up at this quote, but as I am indeed a smartarse as you said, I shall continue to humour you. Having the Biohazard trailer has ABSOLUTELY NO BEARING WHATSOEVER on the PS1 game being better than the Saturn one. The fact that they both play EXACTLY the same is why the Saturn one isn't better. Why did you even say that, it makes you look stupid. Who's the smart ass now?

Now we've got that out of the way, I will show you that Street Fighter Zero for CPS-1 DOES NOT EXIST. Seeing as you think Wikipedia to be gospel, if you refer to this link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CP_System#List_of_games you will see every single CP System game ever released. Note that Street Fighter Zero is absent on the CPS-1 list as well as the CPS-1.5 list. However, it does feature on this page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CP_System_II with a release date of June 5th, 1995.

Now on this page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_Fighter_Alpha which you had previously referred to, it states "A slightly downgraded version of Street Fighter Alpha was also released for Capcom's older CPS I arcade board. This was done because Capcom feared that some arcades wouldn't be willing to upgrade to the CPS II board. This version features a different soundtrack with less sound effects." and "A port for Capcom's CPS Changer was also released as a mail order release in 1996 in Japan. This version was based on the CPS I version.".
                    There is only one thing that is true in those two passages, and that is that the CPS Changer version of Street Fighter Zero was released in 1996.
                    As I myself have already said, what arcade operator of sane mind would want to purchase a cut-down 1995 game in 1996? Those who weren't willing to upgrade to the CPS-II board like the Wikipedia page states? Did this arcade not run Super Street Fighter II and/or Super Street Fighter 2 X/Turbo? Would you go to an arcade running a cut-down version of Street Fighter Zero when all the other arcades were running Street Fighter Zero 2? It would be corporate suicide for anybody who bought it thinking they could turn any kind of profit from it. I rest my case...

If you refer to this page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CP_Sys...System_Changer you will find this passage: "The final game for the CPS Changer was a back-ported version of Street Fighter Zero. Originally released on the CP System II hardware, this special CPS Changer version, released at a premium 35,000 yen, was degraded slightly for the older hardware: it had fewer frames of animation for the game characters, fewer onscreen colors, and the sound and music effects were sampled at a lower rate.". That passage is correct.
                    If you refer to this page http://www.nintendolife.com/news/201...a_home_console you will read a much more accurate tale of the CPS Changer. However, I ask you to refer to this passage: "A cut-down version of Street Fighter Zero (Alpha in the west) - a CPS2 title released in 1995 - would serve as the CPS Changer's swansong and a gift to those loyal fans who had been dedicated enough to purchase the hardware. "The game was first released on the new, superior CPS2 hardware, but Capcom back-ported it to the CPS1 hardware with a few sacrifices and sold it to the CPS Changer owners," Wright says. Costing 35,000 Yen (?189 / $292 / €258) - almost twice the price of other CPS Changer software - the port lacked animation frames and other elements but would prove to be a significant release in later years. "Interestingly, this move helped emulator authors open up and emulate the new CPS2 system, because the CPS Changer release was largely identical but lacked the difficult encryption found in the CPS2 system," Wright says. "They were able to compare the two systems and work out the tricky bits.".
                    There is a sentence within that passage that goes like this: "
                    but Capcom back-ported it to the CPS1 hardware with a few sacrifices and sold it to the CPS Changer owners". I would hazard a guess that your misreading is largely why you think that Street Fighter Zero was available on CPS-1.

Now, I'm positive that I have given enough evidence to prove that a CPS-1 version of Street Fighter Zero doesn't exist, and that you are incorrect in what you have said. However, should you be able to actually show me a CPS-1 version of Street Fighter Zero (which you can't), then I will stand corrected.

As for Super Street Fighter II not being an entirely new game because it:

A) Has an entirely new name.
                    B) Uses entirely new hardware.
                    C) Uses an entirely new engine, built from the ground up
                    D) Has entirely new graphics and sounds.
                    E) Has four entirely new characters.

against your reasoning of:

A) It still has "II" in it's title.

and
                    when it is clearly part of the "Super Street Fighter II" series, then we are just going to have to agree that I am smarter and understand things better than you do I'm afraid. Of course if you can explain to me what outside of the Zero Counter were (Dramatic Battle came from Street Fighter: Movie. Not "The Movie", but "Movie" BTW), then I'll give you the time it takes the board to revolve.

If you need any help with your forthcoming Street Fighter Zero 3 "Battle of the Ports", then I'm available between 18:00 and 23:59 most evenings.
                    Thank you for spending so much time to provide information that I'm not going to read. Cheers. I've not got the time. Far too busy with life so that's all on the Street Fighter topic from me.

Comment

Far too busy with life making inaccurate Street Fighter comparison videos and researching about "well documented" games that don't exist. You could read the entire post in less than five minutes.

You could have just said thanks for the help about something you clearly know little about. Still there's always number 102, which you're going to royally **** up. I'll just help you again with that one.
                      Last edited by J0e Musashi; 11-01-2016, 14:34.
                      Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Show 102 is now online

Comment

Used to play the Amstrad version a lot as a nipper me and a buddy finished it 2 player thought it was amazing at the time! Graphics were good for the system.

Comment

My brother and I played the arcade quite a bit, and we hammered the C64 conversion to death in the process heh.

Actually, the local import market stall where we bought quite a few imports from often had a Tecmo game in its arcade: Silkworm, Tecmo Knights, Tecmo Cup etc...
                            Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Interested to see your thoughts on the Amiga version. I always thought it was amazing back in the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaz View Post
                                Interested to see your thoughts on the Amiga version. I always thought it was amazing back in the day.
                                It is a very good port but not Aracde perfect as so many kept telling me when they suggested I'd feature the game. It is easily one of the best Aracde to Amiga Ports I've played though. Very impressive.

Comment

Working...
                                X