Battle of the Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
    There was a guy in the US that had three R360s, two of them being functional. Can’t find his website anymore though. I’m sure they were in his garage... apparently the electric bill was quite astronomical after he’d had them fired up for a party weekend.

Prop Cycle is another cabinet I’ve only ever seen in the Troc, I’d love to have another go on this one as it’s rather unique.

And they had a few of those rear projection cabinets with skis or a snowboard stuck to the front, they were pretty good fun.
    When I went to uni in Manchester - over 20 years ago now - the pub across the road from my halls had a Prop Cycle cab.

Comment

SEGA still make some nuts Arcade games, the Peeing Arcade game really takes the p*ss . Would have loved to have seen that Dog walking simulator and also the 4 Player SpikeOut set up with those huge red speakers that stuck out .

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
        Yeah, I wasn't disagreeing with you, just using your discussion of expensive cabinets as an opportunity to repost the info about Sega Super Circuit because your post reminded me of it and I searched the site and saw my original post had been lost.
        That's ok, But I'm sure the AS 1 Arcade unit cost SEGA more and was at the time SEGA most expensive Arcade unit in the 90s Then I'm sure SEGA high-end Gambling mahne, holds the record for SEGA's most expensive Arcade set up

Comment

It would be interesting to know the most expensive arcade installation.
          Most web searches talk about rarest and valuable.

Comment

It would be interesting to know the most expensive arcade installation.
            Most web searches talk about rarest and valuable.
            Well I can only go on old TV shows and mags like Bad Influence and on Violet trip to Japan SEGA I 1st saw the AS 1 and in that and some other features. I read it was SEGA's most expesive Arcade game unit. Then in another interview, just after Sammy bought SEGA and with people were worried it would spell an end to SEGA expensive Arcade line; Hajime Satomi talked of SEGA's upcoming High-end Gamberling unit which was SEGA's most expensive set up ever.

Comment

Would you call the gambling games "arcades"? I wouldn't go to a Pachinko Parlour and say I've been to an arcade.

I can imagine it would be some bespoke arcade installation not too far from Starblade.

Comment

It's not the Pachinko setups, but SEGA range of ultra high-end horse racing and roulette, quiz show type sims. I wouldn't really call radio control cars, UFO catcher Arcade games myself either, if one was to be picky.

But I guess they all fall into Amusement sector of Arcade games
                Last edited by Team Andromeda; 05-07-2018, 10:09.

Comment

Yeah, I know what you mean. I guess I'm trying to find a passion project that's mainly about the experience, rather than just making money like those pachislots and horse racing machines.

I'm Googlin' around, but I can't see any article on the most expensive arcade ever made.

I'm surprised that the Ridge Racer with a full-sized car isn't more expensive than the Speed King/Road Rage cab.
                  I guess that, even though there were a few RR ones dotted around, they weren't production line machines.

I guess you're going to be looking at hybrid rides like Toy Story Midway Mania, but it's not really what I was thinking of.

Comment

I'm not tbh. A brand new Mazda MX-5 was never that expensive and the Arcade set up is just a Mazda MX-5 with a big screen, no fancy hydraulics rigs or nothing.

I love the kind of Arcade set ups like the SE House of the Dead 4 set up, that really makes the effort to be a traditional Arcade style game in a theme park style thrill set up and that new Halo Arcade game looks great too.

Comment

Never seen Planet Harriers in the UK, I actually found one in Germany on holiday which is how I got to experience it.
                      Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                        Never seen Planet Harriers in the UK, I actually found one in Germany on holiday which is how I got to experience it.
                        It was never officially released in the UK , much like Spikeout sadly

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                          They used to have that game in the High Tide Arcade Porthcawl when it was billed as the most expensive Arcade game ever and while the game was fun. I don't think it was anything on G Loc 360. Speaking of Konami I used to love that Hang Pilot in the Arcades that was really clever, much like Silent Scope.
                          I loved the R-360; I played on one with G-LOC installed many years ago, though I don't recall where. I rememeber seeing it going straight for it though, because I thought it might be the only time I'd ever see it. I wasn't wrong. It was very good, though obviously quite physically demanding!

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
                          I remember that guy's website. Didn't he buy Michael Jackson's one or something?
                          Michael Jackson certainly owned one. I remember seeing that site which offered a VR-esque tour of his private arcade not long after his death. It turned out the guy was one of the world's foremost collectors of rare and interesting arcade machines.

I actually found it quite sad. I heard, in the aftermath of his death, that his staff said he was quite a lonely person, what with his eccentric attitude and complicated family history. There's something quite demoralising about the thought of him spending so much time alone in that arcade.

"UPDATE - I'm hearing from people in the know that despite a few cosmetic differences the contemporary P.O.D. is in fact almost identical to the O.R.B.S. Meaning the company essentially dusted off the old plans, made a few changes here and there and released it as a new, if slightly different-looking cabinet!"
                          That doesn't surprise me one bit. Gundam Senjou No Kizuna is a fantastic game, but you could tell, when playing it, that it was running on older hardware. The panoramic screen is actually quite low-res and the visuals aren't that detailed (I mean, there was a PSP version of the game which was pretty faithful). It's very much a game which succeeds in spite of its hardware, not because of it.

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                          It really is amazing to think back to the 90s and remember all these innovative arcade machines. They helped attract people to arcades who weren't interested in your typical arcade games like shoot 'em ups and beat 'em ups. I remember girls I knew loving the slalom and jet skiing games.
                          Yeah, I loved all these - AquaJet, TopSkater, Alpine Racer and Silent Scope were my favourites.

Comment

I've done some research and I think the most expensive arcade ever was Quick & Crash.
                            The cost in replacing all those mugs is what bumped the price up...

Comment

I've done some research and I think the most expensive arcade ever was Quick & Crash.
                              The cost in replacing all those mugs is what bumped the price up...
                              I played that once! It was really clever. I don't actually know how the cup explosion thing worked.

Actually just looked it up and it was simpler than I thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                                According to a source withing Capcom US, Marvel Super Heroes VS Street Fighter was developed for the sole reason that X-Men VS Street Fighter was too hectic. Sounds like a lame reason but whatever the reason was it resulted in an amazing 2D fighter from Capcom Japan. One of the best ever 2D fighters of that generation.
                                Thanks [MENTION=1524]Yakumo[/MENTION]. I think, in the Vs series, MSH vs SF often gets forgotten by players, who see it as a kind of "middle child" between the first game and MvC. Plus, it has a strange roster. Still, I think it's a much tighter, more refined game than the prior one, and excellent fun to play.

I actually had the PS1 version, which while extremely playable in isolation, does suffer from the issues you mentioned. It's worth saying that the "Cross-Over" and "Hero" modes that you mentioned actually do have the tag feature... With a caveat.

In Hero mode, you pick one character, and every match is you vs your character, with a different character as team-mate. So if you pick Ryu, and the stage is Wolverine, you'll fight as Ryu and Wolverine vs Wolverine and Ryu. Cross-over mode is basically the same idea, but for versus - each player picks 1 character and you get 2 teams of those characters. This was a way to try and get some of the tag gameplay into the game, because the PS1's RAM restrictions made it impossible otherwise.

Overall, it was a ropey port, but I had it for years and really enjoyed it, as I didn't have access to any of the other titles until getting a Dreamcast (though I'd played the originals in the arcade). When I sold it, it went for a high price - even now, it goes for crazy money:

... which seems hard to believe.

Comment

Working...
                                X