No announcement yet.

Battle of the Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think any game takes me back to my past like Hang-On does. Wasn't even my favourite game, it felt too difficult and endless, I liked shooters n' platformers but it was so smooth and the attract mode sounded so gorgeous, commanding, memorable, impregnating the amygdala with a sonic penis, I've heard it maybe a thousand times, such beautiful soundz, it's perfection!!!!

Comment

I've always preferred Hang-On to Super Hang-On, and the SMS version might well have been the very first console game I ever played so I have a soft spot for it.

Comment

Master system for me . It's the 1st game i ever played on the MS and have so many happy memories playing that game on Christmas day 87.
        Last edited by Team Andromeda; 26-01-2019, 21:25.

Comment

It's also the first game I played on the Master System in Woolworths. It convinced me to ask for the machine for Xmas '87. I used to play it all the time, even though I could easily go through it. I still enjoy going back to it now and then.

Comment

I found the abstraction of the PC-88 version really meta. Fascinating how it's like the MS but locked in an older skool mode, proper twisted my melon. Never played MS version, only arcade and Shenmue versions before, it's really impressive and smooth innit? Lovin' it!

I can honestly say my REAL memory of Hang-On is *exactly* the same as Ryo Hazuki's, that big red bike in the arcade that looked ****in ACE.

Comment

[MENTION=6476]JazzFunk[/MENTION] PC-88 Hang-On looked to me like what an 8-bit home computer version of Hang-On would look like done with quality!

[MENTION=1524]Yakumo[/MENTION] No love for Hang-On Jr.?

Comment

Must say, I never really "got" Hang On. I think I played it for the first time after OutRun, because I was a bit too young to be able to wrangle the large bike controller in the arcades. I tended to be drawn to the STUN Runner machine that was set up adjacent. That being said, visually, it's so fast and smooth in execution that I can understand why people would've loved it.

Must say though, I loved one game that could be considered inspired by it - the original arcade Manx TT, with the "premium" bike controller (there were two different bikes; one was more like Hang On, the other had more articulation).

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                  Must say, I never really "got" Hang On.
                  Really? I genuinely can't imagine that there are many others who share that viewpoint - it's basically OutRun on a bike (or OutRun is Hang-On in a Ferrari as it came first). What difficulty could there be in "getting" it?

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                    Really? I genuinely can't imagine that there are many others who share that viewpoint - it's basically OutRun on a bike (or OutRun is Hang-On in a Ferrari as it came first). What difficulty could there be in "getting" it?
                    I just mean that given the chance to play either, I would always choose OutRun.

Comment

Must say, I never really "got" Hang On. I think I played it for the first time after OutRun,
                      Hang-On has a far more abstract look to its graphics and overall design. You can tell that OutRun was designed to look more detailed and realistic. I like both styles. I'd say Hang-On and its sequel have visuals that work well for a fast bike racer -- in the way they look so clean and slick. It just works brilliantly. And OutRun's visuals perfectly suit the overall vibe of the experience that the designers wanted to inspire people with. I sometimes think that I prefer what the Hang-On games offer visually, as they still look really inviting without any messiness to spoil the allure.

Must say though, I loved one game that could be considered inspired by it - the original arcade Manx TT, with the "premium" bike , the other had more articulation).
                      Yeah, I remember that. It really was something special at the time. It might still be a lot of fun to play.

Comment

[MENTION=6476]JazzFunk[/MENTION] PC-88 Hang-On looked to me like what an 8-bit home computer version of Hang-On would look like done with quality!

[MENTION=1524]Yakumo[/MENTION] No love for Hang-On Jr.?
                        Nah, it's just the Master System game.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                          Nah, it's just the Master System game.
                          Not really. It isn't like-for-like.

Comment

Comment

I'm definitely with Asura on this.

First and foremost, I've never really got to grips with the bike controls, I much prefer a wheel, pedals and gear stick. Hang On always felt a bit clunky to me, where as Outrun was just pure fun, sliding the car from one direction to another. I think Outrun looks a lot nicer; graphically it's a long way ahead of even Super Hang-On which came a year later. Outrun has much more varied stages, the road-side objects are much bigger, significantly different road widths, hills, split roads, junctions, varied traffic etc. All of the stages feel very different, where as I feel with Hang On the changes from level to level are pretty subtle. I think Outrun has far better music as well!

Comment

Originally posted by ZipZap View Post
                                I'm definitely with Asura on this.

First and foremost, I've never really got to grips with the bike controls, I much prefer a wheel, pedals and gear stick. Hang On always felt a bit clunky to me, where as Outrun was just pure fun, sliding the car from one direction to another. I think Outrun looks a lot nicer; graphically it's a long way ahead of even Super Hang-On which came a year later. Outrun has much more varied stages, the road-side objects are much bigger, significantly different road widths, hills, split roads, junctions, varied traffic etc. All of the stages feel very different, where as I feel with Hang On the changes from level to level are pretty subtle. I think Outrun has far better music as well!
                                Be all of that as it may, my point still stands: Hang-On/Super Hang-On and OutRun are still essentially the same type of game. They are still both point-to-point, beat-the-clock arcade racers.

I'd also argue that Hang-On/Super Hang-On visually looks cleaner and smoother than OutRun (even if it is much more minimalist in style) and has thus aged better but that's another discussion entirely.
                                Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 03-02-2019, 10:13.

Comment

Working...
                                X