No announcement yet.

Battle of the Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poor spectrum LOL, it never can compete with the rest. I'm amazed you didn't have a seizure playing that version.

Comment

Seriously, it was so hard to see what was going on most of the type. Still, I like the space Harrier style floor

Comment

It's time for another new Battle of the Ports !

Comment

Side Street > Like The Wind

Comment

All new Battle of the Ports - Alien Storm

Comment

Is Alien Storm considered a success?

Comment

Well, it was over here. I couldn't say for the UK or US but it seems to be popular enough.

Comment

Didn't even realise that Alien Storm got that many home ports. Not that it bothered me though - always only ever played the coin-op original.

MD port was another example of the MD underachieving and not doing a Sega classic justice, IMHO.

Comment

I always wonder about the early MD ports of games. The system could have done a much better version of the arcade game. There's no reason why it couldn't have. Well, maybe leave out the sprite scaling. I guess it all comes down to the price of memory back then. This may also explain why Shadow Dancer and E=Swat are actually different games from their arcade brothers. E-Swat on the MD is probably a better game come to think of it. Which brings me on to why is the MD version of Alien Storm different than all other versions when it comes to the level layout? Even the Master System follows the arcade more.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                      I always wonder about the early MD ports of games. The system could have done a much better version of the arcade game. There's no reason why it couldn't have. Well, maybe leave out the sprite scaling. I guess it all comes down to the price of memory back then. This may also explain why Shadow Dancer and E=Swat are actually different games from their arcade brothers. E-Swat on the MD is probably a better game come to think of it. Which brings me on to why is the MD version of Alien Storm different than all other versions when it comes to the level layout? Even the Master System follows the arcade more.
                      I'll never understand the love for MD E-SWAT - it's a bloody awful game. Arcade E-SWAT sounds superior, looks superior and plays superior. Comfortably the better game and by some distance.

I can accept people preferring MD Shadow Dancer to the coin-op original though - different beasts and coin-op Shadow Dancer is arguably the toughest of the old-school 2D Shinobi games.

Comment

I'm going to try and chrun out a BOTP each week if possible. This week sees another fantastic Sega classic - Virtua Fighter 2!

Comment

Curses no spectrum version this week hehehe

Comment

There'll be one in the next show though. Just checking the final edit now. The next BOTP will feature 11 different formats including the Apple II, oooohhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                              There'll be one in the next show though. Just checking the final edit now. The next BOTP will feature 11 different formats including the Apple II, oooohhhh.
                              I'm guessing Arkanoid or Bad Dudes vs Dragon Ninja.

Comment

Arkanoid would be fun to see there must be a ton of versions of that.

Comment

Working...
                                X