No announcement yet.

Battle of the Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy New Year and what better way to start the new year than with a new episode of Battle of the Ports!

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
      Happy New Year and what better way to start the new year than with a new episode of Battle of the Ports!
      Coin-op, Famicom/NES and FDS ports win out here. The rest are trash, to the point that you would've been better off covering the "Mario Bros. Classic" VS battle mode that appeared in the four Super Mario Advance games on GBA (even though they're not ports).

Would even rather take the 1983 Game & Watch Multi-Screen LCD game over the non-Nintendo system ports, tbh!

Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 31-12-2021, 20:00.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
        Coin-op, Famicom/NES and FDS ports win out here. The rest are trash, to the point that you would've been better off covering the "Mario Bros. Classic" VS battle mode that appeared in the four Super Mario Advance games on GBA (even though they're not ports).

Would even rather take the 1983 Game & Watch Multi-Screen LCD game over the non-Nintendo system ports, tbh!

The most amusing ports are the crap churned out by Ocean. Typical.

Comment

Demonic worshiping is the theme of this week's Battle of the Ports!

Comment

Demonic worshiping is the theme of this week's Battle of the Ports!

One of the true all-time great pinball videogames.

MD port edges PCE port out for me, only because I have fond memories of regularly playing it when I was younger.

Comment

A game that went unreleased in the US on the SNES this week's Battle of the Ports.

Comment

This week, we hit the 400th show and I cover the game that's been asked for the most.

Includes knockoffs!

Comment

This week, we hit the 400th show and I cover the game that's been asked for the most.

Includes knockoffs!

Yakumo: "No emulation allowed on Battle of the Ports whatsoever!"

Also Yakumo: "HaXx aNd KnOcKoFfS aRe FiNe!!!1111!!!!"

Anyhoo...again, as with Mario Bros., all the non-Nintendo ports of SMB generally suck, although the C64 port is an admittedly excellent effort given the work that it's having to do on C64 hardware that is technically inferior to the NES.

Comment

There is a decent Mega Drive hack and I’m not sure why you didn’t include it instead of that crappy Chinese knock-off:

Aside from that, great BotP and I’m amazed just how many versions there are.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                      There is a decent Mega Drive hack and I’m not sure why you didn’t include it instead of that crappy Chinese knock-off:

Aside from that, great BotP and I’m amazed just how many versions there are.
                      I had no idea about this one. No surprise really. I can't stand Mario

Comment

For the rest of us who love Mario, it is actually pretty close to the NES original in terms of feel. I’m no Mario expert but when I first played it I was able to use memory muscle to breeze through it as if it were the NES version.

Comment

Probably explains why you missed out the other arcade (Playchoice-10) version.

Comment

Probably explains why you missed out the other arcade (Playchoice-10) version.
                            That's just a NES in an arcade cabinet, isn't it?

Comment

That's just a NES in an arcade cabinet, isn't it?
                              Technically, it's a port given that the extra modding done to it is the smaller info screen that the Playchoice-10 cabinet uses...but yeah, I believe it's the NES OG (thought it was VS.).

Comment

Technically, it's a port given that the extra modding done to it is the smaller info screen that the Playchoice-10 cabinet uses...but yeah, I believe it's the NES OG (thought it was VS.).
                                I see. I added the other arcade version due to the changes made to the actual game but I'm pretty sure besides the extra screen, that main game is the same on the Playchoice.

Comment

Working...
                                X