Battle of the Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DeathAdder View Post
    Am I right in thinking this didn't come out in Japan, except on the Jaguar?
    I think you're right. Just shows how out of touch Atari was.

Comment

Classic Capcom action on his week's battle of the Ports with SonSon. A game I used to hate but now really like.

Comment

SonSon wasn't a game I played much of BITD so I recently better acquainted myself with it via Capcom Arcade 2nd Stadium on Switch. It was more fun than I thought it would be - very much a product of its mid 1980s coin-op time.

When we talk about Capcom's arcade legacy it's obviously hard to look past the CPS era but a lot of the games they made before that (early and mid 1980s) seem to be forgotten and/or underrated, like Pirate Ship Higemaru, Senjou no Okami/Commando, Makaimura/Ghosts 'n Goblins, Black Tiger or Side Arms Hyper Dyne. Maybe it was because they were often overshadowed by more famous contemporaries of that era?
        Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 12-11-2023, 17:24.

Comment

Indeed. Capcom made a lot of cool games before the CPS days.

Comment

Battle of the Ports is a day early this week due to work.
            This week we're taking a look at Danny Sullivan's Indy Heat

Comment

It's not often we get a Nintendo 64 game here on Battle of the Ports, so let's take a look at a load of versions of Densha De Go! 2.

Last edited by Yakumo; 02-12-2023, 10:14.

Comment

I’ve always fancied the Densha De Go series, but not entirely sure where to start and there’s tons of them, must be a dozen mainline games. I’ve heard the first game is rock hard and the second game is a bit more forgiving than the first. I had a demo of one of the games on my old WinXP laptop and used to play it loads, remember you could trap people in the doors if you didn’t wait long enough to close them.

Comment

I think the 2nd game is the most unforgiving out of the lot. I'd start with part 3 as they'd fine tuned the gameplay by that point.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                    I think the 2nd game is the most unforgiving out of the lot. I'd start with part 3 as they'd fine tuned the gameplay by that point.
                    Just looked up some footage and I'm certain the third game was the one I had the PC demo of way back when it was a current title. I think I downloaded it through a link to some game website from the Taito one. Probably still on my old laptop to be honest, should unearth that as it'll be a treasure trove of weird wallpapers and screensavers downloaded off websites from back in the day.

Will keep my eye out for that and a good controller, seems to go pretty cheap but just a case of shipping it. Might cop out and get the special pad where the controls are just shoved onto a PS1-esque controller. While I was digging through Mercari I found this for a few quid, you know you want it!

Looks like the screw-in antenna lights up, shame it's only compatible with a load of phones that almost certainly can't connect to any kind of network.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post

Just looked up some footage and I'm certain the third game was the one I had the PC demo of way back when it was a current title. I think I downloaded it through a link to some game website from the Taito one. Probably still on my old laptop to be honest, should unearth that as it'll be a treasure trove of weird wallpapers and screensavers downloaded off websites from back in the day.

Will keep my eye out for that and a good controller, seems to go pretty cheap but just a case of shipping it. Might cop out and get the special pad where the controls are just shoved onto a PS1-esque controller. While I was digging through Mercari I found this for a few quid, you know you want it!

Looks like the screw-in antenna lights up, shame it's only compatible with a load of phones that almost certainly can't connect to any kind of network.
                      Oh man, that's a blast from the past. On my old phone I had an antenna that used to flash like a crazy night club every time the phone rang.

Comment

Those pesky little dragons are back in this week's Battle of the Ports - Puzzle Bobble

Comment

Just did some research, and Bust-A-Move and its sequel on the Taito F3 hardware removes all the Bubble Bobble characters and iconography, while the Neo Geo versions of Bust-A-Move are the Puzzle Bobbles with a different title screen. Interesting.

Comment

Pity you missed off the recent C64 port of Puzzle Bobble
                            Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by Protocol Penguin View Post
                              Just did some research, and Bust-A-Move and its sequel on the Taito F3 hardware removes all the Bubble Bobble characters and iconography, while the Neo Geo versions of Bust-A-Move are the Puzzle Bobbles with a different title screen. Interesting.
                              Very odd changes for some reason. I wonder if Taito were originally thinking of charging a fee to use the Bubble Bobble characters?

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                                Pity you missed off the recent C64 port of Puzzle Bobble
                                Ah, if I added that it would have opened up the floodgates of "where's this version or that version.". The world of Puzzle Bobble knock offs is vast.

Comment

Working...
                                X