No announcement yet.

Battle of the Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SNES audio is generally compressed and the muffled sound comes from the interpolation used on the samples and a low pass filter which is used to hide the resultant artifacts.

Comment

Id only ROM wasn't so expensive back in the days of cartridge games. We could have had so much better audio on every system, more graphics and larger games Have you guys heard what the Mega Drive is actually capable of when ROM size isn't an issue? Just take a look at this video as an example. 100% pure Mega Drive. No fancy emulation tricks or extra hardware.

EDIT
      Bummer, just watched the video below and it has awful sound quality. It doesn't sound liek that on my Mega Drive but at least you get an idea of what is possible on such old hardware.
      Last edited by Yakumo; 05-06-2014, 12:48.

Comment

I see your bad apple demo on a megadrive & raise you the same demo on pokemon mini lol.

Comment

how come i have not heard that bad apple tune till now ??? that is great

Comment

Another excellent BotP Yakumo. Brings back some great memories

Comment

Not watched yet but I loved the sound FX on SNES SF2. The heavy kick has crushing bass and heavy punch has brilliant splash sound.

MD audio was more arcade like.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                I see your bad apple demo on a megadrive & raise you the same demo on pokemon mini lol.
                haha, that's cool. I wonder how much space that took up to get it on to a Pokemon Mini? All we need now is a Dreamcast VMU version.

Originally posted by Atticus
                Another excellent BotP Yakumo. Brings back some great memories
                Glad you liked the show. Super Street Fighter II / X will be next.

Comment

I remeber Mean Machines mag here in the UK giving it 98% and saying it was arcade perfect, which it isn't but I guess back in '93 it was the closest you were ever going to get. But comparing the 2 version now:

Lower resolution
                  Less detailed backgrouds
                  Less frames of animation
                  Smaller Sprite size
                  Smaller colour pallet
                  Missing arcade intro
                  Missing sound effects
                  Missing music tempo change
                  Lower quaility audio
                  Music isn't identical to the arcade

The fact that when I got the snes game I never even noticed any of the above, apart from the lack of 'hurry up' music tempo change towards the end of the match and the announcer saying the country names was missing from the snes version, but I didn't even notice the blaytant difference in musical instruments used between the 2 versions which resulted in a rather different sounding music track for each stage. It was still a amazing port and played the crap out of it, and the important thing was it played like the arcade version which I guess is all that matters the rest is just superficial stuff, or though the PAL version was a slowly squashed mess when compared to the NTSC version which luckily my 12 year self was blissfully unaware of at the time.

To my 12 year old self it was arcade perfect
                  Last edited by lettuce; 09-06-2014, 09:48.

Comment

Originally posted by lettuce View Post
                    Mags had really different definitions of "arcade perfect" back in the 90s. For some, it was pixel-perfect (which is really what it's supposed to mean) whereas others adopted the idea that home consoles were inherently weaker (apart from the NeoGeo) and a game was "arcade perfect" if it replicated the experience to the point where the port played like the original and could be considered a very good game.

Sega Saturn mag back in the day talked about Sega Rally, throwing around terms like it replicating the arcade experience, when we know it was anything but; even so, it played exceptionally well and I didn't feel the need to revisit the arcade once I owned it.

Comment

Mean Machines couldn't have really said anything less about the SFC port back then. The magazine was obsessed with SF2 and was suckered in by the SFC hype machine. C&VG was much the same.

Comment

Really should do some more research Yakumo before making those videos the Xbox360 is a straight up arcade port/emulation of Street Fighter II Turbo.

The HD redrawn one was Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix which was done by Backbone with art from Udon and all involved in this travesty should have been locked away.

Comment

Originally posted by S3M View Post
                          The HD redrawn one was Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix which was done by Backbone with art from Udon and all involved in this travesty should have been locked away.
                          Disagree. Visually, it was pretty divisive, but in terms of online play it was totally solid - a great version of the original game. I played hundreds of games of it.

Comment

Originally posted by S3M View Post
                            Really should do some more research Yakumo before making those videos the Xbox360 is a straight up arcade port/emulation of Street Fighter II Turbo.
                            Yep, you are right. Basically I saw Street Fighter II Turbo HF in the title and for some odd reason though it was HD Yep, big **** up there. I did get the HD Super Street Fighter II but I'm in the "HD? Looks like ****e" boat on that one. And why did they change the announcer's voice?

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                              Mags had really different definitions of "arcade perfect" back in the 90s. For some, it was pixel-perfect (which is really what it's supposed to mean) whereas others adopted the idea that home consoles were inherently weaker (apart from the NeoGeo) and a game was "arcade perfect" if it replicated the experience to the point where the port played like the original and could be considered a very good game.

Sega Saturn mag back in the day talked about Sega Rally, throwing around terms like it replicating the arcade experience, when we know it was anything but; even so, it played exceptionally well and I didn't feel the need to revisit the arcade once I owned it.
                              Mean Machines would go over the top sometimes . They said Golden Axe was near enough Arcade perfect on the Mega Drive . I disagree with you over Sega Rally though . SSM never ever tried to make out it was Arcade perfect but it did bring everything from the Arcade version and more in terms of gameplay to the home .

Anyway for me the MD version of SF II was the best home version thanks to the MD 6 button pad

Comment

Originally posted by lettuce View Post
                                In reality, the SNES, MD and TB16 all used the exact same game engine, and all played exactly the same which was pretty much perfect accuracy to the arcade.
                                The only differences were luckily, just the finishing touches.

Comment

Working...
                                X