No announcement yet.

Battle of the Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never actually realised how bad that game really is, until now.

Comment

I've only recently picked up the Master System version of Vigilante. Like Yakumo I was surprised by the bold colourful graphics. Plays well despite the control issue. Still rock hard though. Maybe Sega felt that the loose d-pad on the MS controller was a bit unreliable and not well suited to using up for the jump function.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
        Maybe Sega felt that the loose d-pad on the MS controller was a bit unreliable and not well suited to using up for the jump function.
        Possible but I still think the option to use punch and kick to jump is an odd one,

Comment

Loving all these vids you do Yakumo. I spend many a night looking over them, thanks!

Comment

Finally watched the SF2 video and it's superb. Really interesting to look at the different ports. I remember being really surprised how weak the MD version was when SF2SCE was such a great port. I prefer SNES Turbo but the MD game was still fantastic. Super just felt more suited to the SNES for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
              Super just felt more suited to the SNES for some reason.
              Two reasons, I think - the initial SNES/SF2 bundle will always make SF2 and the SNES permanently associated for me, and secondly, the SNES natively had 6-button controllers.

Comment

I think it's more the lack of colour on the MD for Super and the Q Sound board at the time sounded like it was easier to replicate on the SNES sound chip. Indeed the music on SNES Super was very good.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
                  From my recollection it runs in a window (maybe only on PAL) and has zero parallax scrolling.

Otherwise is still pretty gnarly.
                  It runs full screen and full speed, but lacks a couple of layers of parallax and a few bits of background animation.

Apart from that, it's a really nice conversion, and I was really happy with it on my US 3DO back in 1994. It was totally rad and gnarly.

Indeed the music on SNES Super was very good.
                  I can't stand the sound or music in SNES Super. The music lacks punch and the sound effects are quite tinny. It's like they compressed the hell out of all the sound. SF2 Turbo is the daddy imo.

Comment

The music lacks punch in the arcade version too. I prefer the SNES ost in this case. Sound effects are weak though.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Ahoy! View Post
                      I can't stand the sound or music in SNES Super. The music lacks punch and the sound effects are quite tinny. It's like they compressed the hell out of all the sound. SF2 Turbo is the daddy imo.
                      They added a really crap reverb in the SNES version which gave it a horrible echo. Terrible move by Capcom.
                      The world warrior still has the best sound on the SNES. It was pure.

Comment

Capcom LOVE reverb. Most of their games are full of it and most of their games sound bad because of it

Comment

Really? Which SNES games specifically?

Comment

The most noticeable ones for me are the street fighters (punch and kick sound effects) and the music to Mega Man X.

Comment

I don't think that at all. FX on first two SF games are superb, really bassy. Also found a lot of Capcom music to be fine, more muffled than echoed.

Comment

Really? Which SNES games specifically?
                                Area 88, Final Fight 2 (man that has it really bad), Demonds Crest (slightly over used but not too bad), Aladdin, The Mickey Mouse games and more. Some of those games have good tunes but the Capcom Sound Engine doesn't sound that good. I can imagine if a different sound engine was used then the games would sound so much nicer.

Comment

Working...
                                X