Battle of the Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
    The Amiga in general is ass when it comes to arcade ports when put next to a console. IMO, the Amiga shines with it's original games.
    I agree in sentiment, but Marble Madness, Rainbow Islands, Double Dragon 2, New Zealand Story etc. say hello!

Comment

Ah, yes Rainbow Islands and NewZealand story were good on the Amiga. I remember playing those at my mates house along with other original titles such as Xenon 2, 3D Stuntcar Racer and others.

Comment

Originally posted by gunrock View Post
        I agree in sentiment, but Marble Madness, Rainbow Islands, Double Dragon 2, New Zealand Story etc. say hello!
        Arkanoid, Pac-Mania, Pang, Toki, Snow Bros, Klax, Rodland,

Silk Worm

Comment

Originally posted by Solar View Post
          Yeah, way too many bedroom coders on the Amiga, publishers back then were too lazy to do it themselves and just handed the rights to any tom dick and harry that asked.
          Shame really, the Amiga had potential to completely wipe out all competition.
          Well I wouldn't quite go that far , the Mega Drive and Snes were still better in many aera's . That said they were some Arcade ports that were better on the Amiga even with no access to source code .Pants game it maybe but Pitfighter on the Amiga was really close, unlike the pants MD and Snes versions

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
            Well I wouldn't quite go that far ,
            In terms of hardware

Comment

In terms of hardware
              The Amiga had poor sprite-handling abilities compared to the Mega Drive and Super NES, and was much older hardware than either.

Comment

Originally posted by Grapple Convoy View Post
                The Amiga
                Which Amiga?
                The 500/600 maybe, but not the 1200's AGA chipset.

Comment

Which Amiga?
                  The 500/600 maybe
                  That's the one

Comment

Which Amiga?
                    The 500/600 maybe, but not the 1200's AGA chipset.
                    There was zero difference between the original chipset and the AGA other than the increased colour palette, and a few high-resolution modes that were impractical for use in games.

Comment

Originally posted by Grapple Convoy View Post
                      There was zero difference between the original chipset and the AGA other than the increased colour palette, and a few high-resolution modes that were impractical for use in games.
                      Actually the AGA chipset was slightly faster, especially with chunky-to-planar conversion. Also the 68020 was much faster than what the MD/Snes had, especially coupled with some Fast RAM. Unfortunately CBM only included on-board Chip RAM so the machine was crippled out of the box.

Edit: you could buy a Fast RAM board, but really the machine should never have been sold without it.
                      Last edited by samanosuke; 07-07-2014, 17:38.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                        Actually the AGA chipset was slightly faster, especially with chunky-to-planar conversion. Also the 68020 was much faster than what the MD/Snes had, especially coupled with some Fast RAM. Unfortunately CBM only included on-board Chip RAM so the machine was crippled out of the box.

Edit: you could buy a Fast RAM board, but really the machine should never have been sold without it.
                        The chunky to planar was handled by the Akiko chip that was only found in the CD32. Otherwise the AGA chipset was barely any different than that of the original Amiga, with the same poor sprite-handling abilities.

Comment

Battle of the Ports - Strider Hiryu!

Comment

The X68000 is class, really excellent version. Will always love the MD version, many great memories of playing it on release.

Comment

Never liked Strider much, but I remember playing the Megadrive version, which is very impressive considering the hardware and when it actually came out.

Comment

I think it was the controls that put some people off Strider. It felt a little like you weren't fully in control of the character at times. I still loved the game though as a teenager and even now.

Comment

Working...
                                X