No announcement yet.

Battle of the Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try the Saturn version again after playing the arcade. I think you'll find the controls much better.

Comment

Originally posted by S3M View Post
      Saturn's port of Race Drivin is unplayable garbage, the controls are terrible!!!
      I had always thought the controls were terrible, in every version. The Drivin' series was all about visuals, which admittedly were amazing at the time.

Comment

In the 80's it might have looked good i never saw it in the arcades but nowdays it looks like total crap, i remember playing it on my friends amiga & it was janky as hell in fact most polygon games of this type were horribl they always seemed to run at 3fps. Some games age well, this isn't one of them, bless the spectrums attempt hehe.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
          In the 80's it might have looked good i never saw it in the arcades but nowdays it looks like total crap, i remember playing it on my friends amiga & it was janky as hell in fact most polygon games of this type were horribl they always seemed to run at 3fps. Some games age well, this isn't one of them, bless the spectrums attempt hehe.
          I think this prompted a debate in another thread some time ago, but this is why I've always considered Virtua Racing and Virtua Fighter as the beginning of 3D gaming. There were many 3D games before them, we all know that (going back so far as stuff like Elite), and I had stacks of 3D games for the Amiga. Even in the arcades there were titles like STUN Runner. I liked them because they reminded me of TRON, and had this weird triangular aesthetic that seemed "futuristic". Consider the ships in Starfox; they suggest being spaceships but really, they're very basic models.

However, for me, Virtua Fighter and Virtua Racing were the watershed. They were the point where I saw 3D games, and I knew then that this was the shape of things to come. I think it's because unlike prior 3D games, such as Mercenary, or Tower of Babel, the track in Virtua Racing (with its ferris wheel, that reminded me of the real-life Suzuka GP) and the characters in Virtua Fighter (that looked and moved recognisably like people, crude mannequins though they may have been) felt like something I could relate to real life.

Stuff like Hard Drivin' always feels to me like a curio. An interesting step up the ladder for those of us that take an interest in the history of video games. Despite that, unlike stuff like Daytona (which is still incredibly playable) I don't think Hard Drivin' has anything to offer a modern player.

Comment

Poor guy who had to do Hard Driving on C64 didn't have very long... in fact the game was first released on a compilation. Not sure it ever had full price release on the C64.

Another early version it seems existed of another Domark game, this time of the terrible Hard Drivin' game conversion being worked on. Just how did the
            Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

I thought I'd seen it all after that godawful Snes version, but oh my does that C64 version stink to high heaven.

Comment

Man, now I feel bad for ripping the C64 version. The poor guy had only 2 weeks?

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                  Man, now I feel bad for ripping the C64 version. The poor guy had only 2 weeks?
                  Excuses, excuses.

In actual reality what this boils down to is that Speccy > C64. Acceptance is what is required here.

Comment

Hahahahaha. Oh you're serious?

Comment

He is. AND deluded
                      Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Battle of the Ports - After Burner / After Burner II

Please think about being my patron, Thanks!

---------------------------------------------------------------------
                        It's time to take to the skies in the game that changed the look of 3D flight gaming forever! After Burner!

Video Time Guide

00:25 - Arcade
                        03:10 - Amiga - US Version
                        05:37 - Amiga - European Version
                        06:52 - Sega 32X
                        08:49 - Atari ST
                        10:12 - Mega Drive
                        12:33 - MSX
                        14:09 - Sega Saturn
                        17:16 - PC Engine
                        21:19 - Master System
                        22:44 - Sharp X68000
                        25:13 - GameBoy Advance
                        26:06 - PlayStation 2
                        29:15 - Famicom / NES - US Tengen Version
                        30:09 - Famicom - Japanese SunSoft Version
                        31:48 - FM Towns
                        33:47 - MS DOS
                        34:43 - ZX Spectrum
                        35:58 - Amstrad CPC
                        37:25 - Commodore 64 - US Version
                        38:41 - Commodore 64 - European Version
                        40:58 - Dreamcast

man, that's a lot of Afterburner ports. There's also a fan made PC game but since it's not official I've left it out.

Comment

My word it actually came out on everything

Comment

One thing these videos have really made me appreciate about the Amiga (well, two related things):

1) Amiga arcade conversions were usually quite poor
                            2) Amiga arcade conversions tended to LOOK good in still images

What I suppose I mean by this is whenever we see videos like this After Burner one, with many formats, the Master System and NES versions often seem far more playable than the Amiga versions, even though the Amiga versions often use very detailed sprites (sometimes the original sprites!) with terrible framerates.

In a way, I guess this is similar to the currently "60fps/30fps" situation where developers are reluctant to insist on 60, because it can't be shown in screenshots and YouTube generally only runs at 30.

EDIT: Oh, also - Yakumo, the Saturn versions of OutRun, Afterburner etc (the SEGA AGES ones), they have a "cheat", something you can do on the options screen (sadly I don't remember what it was). After you do it, the game becomes locked to a 60fps frame-rate, but they compromise some of the visual detail to keep it running at that speed. It seems Sega had this debate too, i.e. whether to keep the game at 60 and compromise or worry more about it looking "arcade perfect" in screenshots for the magazines.
                            Last edited by Asura; 26-07-2014, 08:06.

Comment

No representation for the 3DS Sega 3D Classics version then? Arguably surpasses the Dreamcast and Saturn ports.
                              Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 26-07-2014, 09:45.

Comment

Nope, because only my son has a 3DS and I've locked it down so no online shopping with it. That and I don't want to buy a game just for the video

Asura, I remember something about a 60fps cheat for OutRun but didn't know After Burner had it as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X