Battle of the Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arashikage View Post
    Well thanks to the latest BotP I caved and picked up the PS3 version of Daytona. It really does hold up so well and it evokes so many memories of playing it back in the day. It just looks so vibrant in HD, I doubt if you could get a better version of the game. Just spent a hour trying to come first on the advanced track, could only manage 2nd.
    That's your best buy this month without a doubt. I love playing Daytona on the 360. It's like having the updated arcade in my room.

Comment

Another thing to say about the PS3 Daytona is that it boots up quickly. Might seem a small thing but I hate it when arcade racers take ages to boot.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
        Another thing to say about the PS3 Daytona is that it boots up quickly. Might seem a small thing but I hate it when arcade racers take ages to boot.
        This is a big reason as to why I still love PS1 Ridge Racer after all these years. I still marvel at the fact that RR loaded everything from the disc in one go, allowing you to replace the game disc with a music CD of your choice and race to your own soundtrack. Genius move!

Comment

Obviously there are two releases of Daytona USA on Saturn. I have the initial release and a dodgy disc with the updated version on it. Does the whole game run in 480i or is it just the menu? I could probably boot it up and tell for myself but I'm feeling lazy...

Comment

The menus are 480i while the rest of the game is lower but it does run at a higher resolution than the original Daytona.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
              The SNES version of MK is really underrated. Yes not a great game overall but too much focus was on the lack of gore rather than the overall quality of the port.
              The port was far better than the poor Mega Drive version and had near Arcade perfect graphics , also MK II on the Snes was much better than the MD version . Sculpture software were pretty awesome back in the day and showed how much better they were than Prope when they handle the MD port of MK III

Comment

Yep, I remember the days when everyone was praising the MD version of MK, all they spoke about was the blood. I was the only one in school thinking the SNES version was faster, more detailed graphics, better colour pallette, better controls and was much more accurate.

BOTP should deffo do a series on MK 1, 2 and 3

Comment

I wouldn't wish it on anyone to play through any of those games, let alone all the different versions. There's so many!

Comment

Originally posted by Solar View Post
                    BOTP should deffo do a series on MK 1, 2 and 3
                    Oh now, come on. Don't be so cruel I'll tell you what I'll do, I'll cover Mortal Kombat II since that also had a ****ty Saturn port and probably a PlayStation port (need to check that). I also agree that the SNES version of MK was better than the MD version. I used to play a patched version via my Wild Card that added blood to the game The Mega DRive version looked and sounded like crap. No idea how it played as I didn't like either version when it came to actually playing. All you'd ever hear from me was "F@*king cheating bastard computer!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                      Oh now, come on. Don't be so cruel I'll tell you what I'll do, I'll cover Mortal Kombat II since that also had a ****ty Saturn port and probably a PlayStation port (need to check that). I also agree that the SNES version of MK was better than the MD version. I used to play a patched version via my Wild Card that added blood to the game The Mega DRive version looked and sounded like crap. No idea how it played as I didn't like either version when it came to actually playing. All you'd ever hear from me was "F@*king cheating bastard computer!!!"
                      Wouldn't MK be more significant to BotP?

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed MK2 back in the day (I won't lie) and yes, I also agree that SNES MK1 was superior to MD MK. But, MK was the first genuine challenger to Street Fighter 2's supremacy back in 1991, at least until SF2 CE came around the following year.

Any anyway, how can you be some kind of MK snob now? Didn't you cover Pit-Fighter in one of your Retro Core videos?

Feck me, Pit-Fighter makes MK look like SF3: 3rd Strike!

Comment

Yeah, but I never said I liked Pit Fighter either and only 1 version was covered Mortal Kombat is awful to me but since the fans want to see it I'll do the first game in a few shows time.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                          Yeah, but I never said I liked Pit Fighter either and only 1 version was covered Mortal Kombat is awful to me but since the fans want to see it I'll do the first game in a few shows time.
                          Fair enough.

Seeing as an MK episode of BotP sounds like it would be traumatic for you (), how about covering Seibu's classic 1990 shoot-em-up Raiden?

Comment

Ninja Spirit, a few home conversion done in that, albeit it will be a short video...

or even Ridge Racer?

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                              Wouldn't MK be more significant to BotP?
                              Someone's already done Mortal Kombat Trilogy, surprised at the amount of people doing port battle videos, I find them quite boring unless they cover all the extra content and changes between versions.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                                Fair enough.

Seeing as an MK episode of BotP sounds like it would be traumatic for you (), how about covering Seibu's classic 1990 shoot-em-up Raiden?
                                It's on the list I'm trying to find a good Jaguar emulator though. Any ideas on what's best?

Ridge Racer is a good choice but how many versions of the first game are there? I know of two PlayStation versions, arcade, 2 Japanese phone versions one of which is in 16:9 and err, that's it isn't it?
                                Last edited by Yakumo; 07-11-2014, 11:37.

Comment

Working...
                                X