No announcement yet.

Battle of the Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting. Are there any other games that have this issue?

Comment

If you want to go back and compare, you can find the CRT for Toki online, including from my website. Plug that into Vice and check it out.

Can't think of any other cartridge game offhand. There are a few where the disk crack spoils the experience due to loading breaks and the such (Shadow of the Beast notably), but none where you lost a feature because memory pressure was so tight. Part of the beauty of cartridges was that when used correctly and taking advantage of the medium, the C64 games came to life a bit more. So you had a full experience in Toki, SotB had pretty seamless transitions between sections due to instant loading, that sort of thing. Many of the other cartridges could have come out on disk without much of a problem. Battle Command did, but the disk loading and interruptions annoy compared to the cartridge.
      Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Cheers, Mayhem. I never knew much about the C64 cartridges. Will the standard C64 cartridges work on that ugly looking C64 console that was released around the time of the Amstrad GX4000?

Comment

The C64GS, what a brilliant system that was.

Comment

As long as the games don't require any keyboard presses, yes any cart will work on the C64GS.
            Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
              As long as the games don't require any keyboard presses, yes any cart will work on the C64GS.
              Interesting stuff.

By the way, the next BOTP is ready. I think you guys will enjoy the next show. A true classic game and nope, it's not by Sega, Capcom, Konami, Taito, Namco or any other big name company. What could it be?

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                Interesting stuff.

By the way, the next BOTP is ready. I think you guys will enjoy the next show. A true classic game and nope, it's not by Sega, Capcom, Konami, Taito, Namco or any other big name company. What could it be?
                Raiden?

Mortal Kombat?

Comment

Mortal Kombat has been put on the back burner for now. I'm just not in the mood to do that one at the moment but it will be done at one point. Probably when I have a week off work since it will be a big one to cover.

Comment

Mortal Kombat has been put on the back burner for now. I'm just not in the mood to do that one at the moment but it will be done at one point. Probably when I have a week off work since it will be a big one to cover.
                    So Raiden it is then?

(Only surmising that as you didn't address it in your reply! )

Comment

You assume well my son

Comment

You assume well my son
                        Looking forward to watching it.

One of my all-time favourite shoot-em-ups. Loved the coin-op and I've still got a soft spot for the PCE port so I'll be interested to see which home port you think is the best.

Comment

FM Towns without a doubt but that's just my opinion. By the way, is Raiden Trad counted as a different game or is it just like a "Super" version of normal Raiden? I was going to add the SFC and Mega Drive versions both both of those are Raiden Trad.

EDIT - Never mind. Found out that Raiden and Raiden Trad are the same game. Looks like I'll be adding the SFC and MD games to the show as well. That brings the total up to 11 versions as long as I can get the Atari Falcon version to run.
                          Last edited by Yakumo; 19-11-2014, 14:36.

Comment

A Falcon port was made? Now that's pretty obscure. I'll be interested to see how good that particular version is.

Comment

Well, spent over an hour trying to figur out Hatari and how to run Falcon games but I just can't get the 3 level demo of Raiden to work. So it looks like there will only be 10 versions on the show. There was also an Amiga version in the works but just like the Falcon version, it was never completed. There was a demo released many years ago on a mag disc but I don't have that.

Comment

Don't forget to spell-check!

Comment

Working...
                                X