Battle of the Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
    Terrible system, though im sure those who had it, enjoyed it.

I'd go round peoples houses and play on theirs feeling sorry that they didnt have a Commadore or Amstrad.
    I used to think it was the Amstrad owners that we the butt of the jokes . Zx Spectrum was a bloody amazing games machine far better than the C64 , The Spectrum Arcade ports of the likes of Enduro Racer, Chase HQ, Bomb Jack were far better that the C64 or Amstrade versions for me and as a mad Footy fan having the likes of MOTD II and Football Manager on the Spectrum were ace .

I really don't get why the system gets the hate

Comment

I don't think the Spectrum gets hate because of what it is but because of how everything on it is seen as pure gold by many people. Truth is a lot of the high scoring games from back in the day were complete crap even back then. I believe ESWAT was rated well back in the day however it literally is unplayable.

There have been some Speccy ports that have impressed me though. Alien Storm is one. That looks amazing, like a monochrome smaller version of the arcade game. There are a few others too but most of the time the arcade ports are total arse.

The C64 quite often has ports completely different from the Speccy and Amstrad. Sometimes for the better or sometimes for the worse. The worst offender is the Amstrad though. Many ports are slow and some are piss poor Speccy ports. Some ports look very good such as ESWAT but play like crap

Comment

Its the five colours and the use mainly of turquoise and yellow, and the see through sprites.

Amstrad version of chase hq is one of the best on 8 bit!

I can't deny that a lot of Amstrad games are shod ports of spectrum, they usually are in 3 colours.
        Last edited by Baseley09; 13-04-2015, 23:19.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
          I used to think it was the Amstrad owners that we the butt of the jokes . Zx Spectrum was a bloody amazing games machine far better than the C64 , The Spectrum Arcade ports of the likes of Enduro Racer, Chase HQ, Bomb Jack were far better that the C64 or Amstrade versions for me and as a mad Footy fan having the likes of MOTD II and Football Manager on the Spectrum were ace .

I really don't get why the system gets the hate
          Typical Spectrum owner.

Deluded.

Comment

Truth is a lot of the high scoring games from back in the day were complete crap even back then. I believe ESWAT was rated well back in the day however it literally is unplayable
            Tbh I never had the Spectrum with Arcade ports in mind . I wanted a ZX Spectrum to play the likes of Jet Pack .

Typical Spectrum owner
            I did have a C64 too you know . Spectrum was better for me not only because most of my mates had one, but also for games like Jetpack, Knight lore, Manic Minner, Jet Set Willy, Match Day II, Football Manager, Gift From the Gods (well I liked it) but even some of the Arcade ports were better like Eundro Racer, Chase HQ , Spy Hunter , Commando imo . That said I did used to think Kick Start II on the C64 was pretty mighty back inthe day

Comment

No way is the Speccy Spy Hunter better than the C64 version

(I'll concede you most of the others however)
              Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Yeah more C64 versions please

Really enjoying these battle of the port videos you post up. Out of curiosity Yakumo, is that yourself that does the voice over on your videos?

Comment

Yep, the whole show is a one man show. I do everything although my voice isn't exactly like it is on the voice over.

Sadly there are no euro computers featured in the next show the game is a little too new. There is a windows '95 port though.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                    Yep, the whole show is a one man show. I do everything although my voice isn't exactly like it is on the voice over.

Sadly there are no euro computers featured in the next show the game is a little too new. There is a windows '95 port though.
                    Virtual On?

Comment

The Spectrum is a pile of ****e. Clearly a system only owners loved. Yes it does have some good games but an enormous amount of junk.

Comment

To be honest Nakamura, every system has its fair share of crap / junk...

Comment

But the vast majority of Spectrum games are bad quite frankly I can appreciate many games that pushed the hardware well but when the hardware is so bad it doesn't really matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                            Virtual On?
                            Nope but this game now does belong to Sega and they ruined in in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                              Nope but this game now does belong to Sega and they ruined in in my opinion.
                              Surely you've already done Daytona & Rally?

Curious to see what this is now. The only "SEGA PC" games I remember for Win95 were VF Remix, VF2, Virtual On, Daytona, Rally, Sega Touring Cars and Panzer Dragoon, and you only seem to cover games that are arcade originals.

Comment

It's none of those

Comment

Working...
                                X