No announcement yet.

Battle of the Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How did you know the next show was going to be Commando?! Just finsihed making the title screen for that. Ghosts'n Goblins was done a year ago.

I can't use the C64 versions as the basis since the show is about how good the home ports compare to the arcade original

Last edited by Yakumo; 28-06-2015, 14:59.

Comment

I never really played Commando in the arcades as it was pretty tough. None of this regenerating health malarkey!

However, I played it on freeplay at PLAY Expo and loved it. I now want to play it more!

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
        How did yo know the next show was going to be Commando?! Just finsihed making the title screen for that. Ghosts'n Goblins was done a year ago.

I can't use the C64 versions as the basis since the show is about how good the home ports compare to the arcade original
        I must have missed the Ghosts 'n Goblins episode then, have to go back and watch that. But I think you'd be pleasantly surprised to see HOW much improved the C64 conversion is now, it's just been released by Nostalgia. Anyhow, you know what I meant, please use the version of C64 Commando in my link for your show to compare against the arcade, and NOT the original C64 conversion from 1985
        Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

I'll be using both Nice to see how a modern reworking game improve over the **** that got crapped out in the 80's.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
            I'll be using both Nice to see how a modern reworking game improve over the **** that got crapped out in the 80's.
            Indeed. Check out the Atari XL homebrew Space Harrier some time. It's unreal given the hardware it's running on.

Back on topic, I was tempted by The Hit Squad's re-release of Wonderboy on the Speccy having played it on a mate's Master System. So glad I plumped for Quattro Adventure instead which was a Codmaster's compilation that featured Dizzy, Super Robin Hood (amazing game IMO), Ghost Hunters and Vampire, all for the princely sum of ?3.99. Just goes to show, play to your strengths...

Comment

Indeed. I used to buy a lot of those Mastertronic games when I was a kid. Think they were 1.99 or sometimes 2.99. I also had Commando for my Commodore Plus 4 by Melbourne House from what I can remember. It was actually a C16 release but worked on the Plus 4. I'm going to have fun digging that out for the next BOTP.

Comment

The Wonder Boy episode was definitely one of the more interesting ones for me, since it's familiar to me from playing Adventure Island back when I was a kid. I've learned about the series thanks to a video feature by Happy Console Gamer. The SMS version holds up really well even today as the use of colors is spot on for the Master System. The NES version doesn't look bad in comparison, really. The history behind the change is an interesting bit of gaming history in general. The other versions look daft as always. The stuff people put up with with what they had has been a great test of passion for games.

Comment

Just wait for the Commando episode. That's going to be packed with craptastic game Ports.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                    Easy win for the MS version . Love the game , one of the best platform games and one of all time fav games ever made
                    Have you played Super Adventure Island on the SNES? That's a really nice version of Wonder Boy. I was playing it a few weeks ago - and was still impressed with the graphics and music. I guess it wasn't very succesful; probably because it's such a simple game for its time. I'd say it's definitely worth playing for fans of the original Wonder Boy.

Also, I went to a computer show in the early-'90s and bought a boxed European game for the Amiga called Thunder Boy. A blatant copy of Wonder Boy.
                    Last edited by Leon Retro; 29-06-2015, 10:21.

Comment

Have you played Super Adventure Island on the SNES? That's a really nice version of Wonder Boy.
                      I bought it back in the day for Yuzo soundtrack alone lol . It's nice but I love Wonderboy art and main characters and to me the MS is the best version and to me the best Wonderboy game ever made . Really have such happy memories of my and my brother playing the game till 3am Christmas night way back 87

Comment

Here's a question - I had Wonderboy for the Game Gear. I remember it really well. I also remember, though, that I had a game called Wonderboy for the Amiga. It was a side-on platformer, with RPG elements (I suppose it was a bit like Zelda II). Anyone know what I'm talking about?

My memory is really hazy but I'm certain about this.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                          Here's a question - I had Wonderboy for the Game Gear. I remember it really well. I also remember, though, that I had a game called Wonderboy for the Amiga. It was a side-on platformer, with RPG elements (I suppose it was a bit like Zelda II). Anyone know what I'm talking about?

My memory is really hazy but I'm certain about this.
                          Your talking about Wonderboy and it's later sequel Wonderboy in Monsterland, later games became the Monster World series. Wonderboy adopted more RPG elements after the first arcade game.

The whole collection of all six games was released on PS2 and is a nice picked for anyone who wants to play the series without having to buy lots of different consoles:

We did a review of the whole collection over at Randomised Gaming: http://randomisedgaming.tumblr.com/p...sega-ages-2500

There also a collection on 360 but it only includes three games from the series. I also have a original copy of Wonderboy in Monsterland on the Amiga, shame the original never got ported.
                          Last edited by S3M; 29-06-2015, 17:32.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                            I bought it back in the day for Yuzo soundtrack alone lol . It's nice but I love Wonderboy art and main characters and to me the MS is the best version and to me the best Wonderboy game ever made . Really have such happy memories of my and my brother playing the game till 3am Christmas night way back 87
                            Yeah, Yuzo's soundtrack is excellent. It really boosts the atmosphere. I think people who enjoy the original Wonder Boy's gameplay, will like Super Adventure Island. It's a very basic game, but one that I always go back to.

I'll have to try and give the MS Wonder Boy a go. I had an MS back in the day, but didn't get to play WB. I know all about happy gaming memories. One highlight was getting a a U.S. Super Nintendo for Xmas 1991. Me and my brother were spellbound by Actraiser all evening and into the night.

Comment

I know all about happy gaming memories. One highlight was getting a a U.S. Super Nintendo for Xmas 1991. Me and my brother were spellbound by Actraiser all evening and into the night.
                              Good times . I remember me and my best mate having a sleep over in my house and we and my borther just played Mario Kart on Snes all nite long -mostly trying to beat each others time . But having the MS for Christmas day (in its UK lauch year) was the best . My mother had to come down and unplug the MS at 3am in the morning , with me and my bother playing Wonderboy all nite and resfusing to go to bed . I ever rememeber my bother and a few of my mates being spell bound with NiGHT Trap on the Mega CD and playing that game all night too .

Good times ...

Comment

I had a check, I think I started watching the show from the Power Drift episode, which explains how I didn't see Ghosts 'n Goblins before. Pity you did that back then, as I think the Nostalgia update to the C64 conversion is spanking brilliant.
                                Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Working...
                                X