No announcement yet.

Battle of the Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like R4 myself. It looks and sounds amazing but Valdez is right, structurally it's abhorrent. It's impossible to collect all the cars without a guide and you have to lose to do so. It's also designed so you never race the first four courses with higher class engines which is backward design.

The presentation is what makes the game so popular. It's better than the rest of the game.

Ridge V, cruelly criticised is far superior in virtually every way. It also has beautiful visuals and stunning presentation and amazing lighting. I adore the warm hues of the evening racing or the crisp cool mornings.
    The structure of V is also much better.

Comment

I'll have to part agree with [MENTION=2732]J0e Musashi[/MENTION] on this one too, and I say that as somebody who didn't totally hate T4.

T4 isn't terrible (ace soundtrack, for one thing) but it doesn't have the true Ridge Racer gameplay essence like OG, Revolution, Rave Racer, V-VII and the PSP Ridge Racers do.

Hell, I'm not even that hot on Rage Racer for the same reason, if I'm honest.
      Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 14-09-2015, 18:06.

Comment

Type 4 is also my least favourite. It's mainly to do with the handling which is by far the worst in the series in my opinion. There is no analogue flow from the exit of a drift, the car just seems to "snap" back into place. V, in complete contrast, nailed the drift mechanic to a tee. It's still one of my favourite PS2 games and has the best Ridge mode ever...the 99 lap endurance race.

Comment

V is so underated that it is criminal. It has the best handling out of any Ridge game IMO, 7 included. Everyone knows my love for RR7 is unconditional too, so that's a serious statement coming from me.
          Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

What V does so well is handling variety. Each of the six core cars feel so different to drive. It's remarkable really and even modern racers like Forza have a lot of cars that feel similar to drive.

I actually think that the PSP game signalled the death and abandonment of the series. Playable indeed but simplistic gameplay which was repeated until the series died on PS3.

If I won the lotto I'd Kickstart my dream Ridge clone and reignite the series.
            Last edited by nakamura; 14-09-2015, 19:18.

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
              V is so underated that it is criminal. It has the best handling out of any Ridge game IMO, 7 included. Everyone knows my love for RR7 is unconditional too, so that's a serious statement coming from me.
              It ws criminal that a proper Ridge 8, wasnt there for the ps4 launch. Unbounded signaled the end of the franchise for me.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
                It ws criminal that a proper Ridge 8, wasnt there for the ps4 launch. Unbounded signaled the end of the franchise for me.
                Agreed about Unbounded - complete and utter sh1te. When I want Ridge, I want Ridge. Not fecking Burnout or Need For Speed.

It's like I've said before on here: A PlayStation launch isn't a PlayStation launch without a true Ridge Racer title alongside it.

Comment

I've put a fair bit of time into Unbounded, I'd never call it a bad game but would also call it anything more than a tie in.

RR7 is the Lord, I don't feel it's drift is as tight as V but everything else makes it shine beyond.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
                    I've put a fair bit of time into Unbounded, I'd never call it a bad game but would also call it anything more than a tie in.

RR7 is the Lord, I don't feel it's drift is as tight as V but everything else makes it shine beyond.
                    Yep, RR7 is the best

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                      I found the video you mentioned, and it's a very strange mix of games. In particular the version of Tekken 2 actually looks very good (kinda like how I picture Tekken 2 would look on Dreamcast).

Many of the games are early iOS/late era experimental phone games. The "J"-RPG you mention is actually a Korean game called Xenonia; you can get that for iOS now, along with several sequels. It wasn't great, but was novel for being the first game of that type on iOS.
                      Cheers for the info, I was thinking the same about Tekken 2 myself. I know it's well outdated tech and the games are old but I still get a thing in my head that Brazilians are *still* playing Tec Toy Master system games hehe...some of the games on the Zeebo seem to straddle an interesting gaming era. I love hearing about stuff like that.

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                      I think the next Battle Of The Ports will make someone very happy.

I've only got a tiny netbook and my eyes are squinting a bit...but is Episode 100 on its way...!!

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                        I've only got a tiny netbook and my eyes are squinting a bit...but is Episode 100 on its way...!!
                        Yep, it's on its way next week Although it has moved from episode 100 to 85.
                        We have Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday off next week as national holidays! So I can do my normal Saturday work during those days which leaves time for this BOTP

Comment

[QUOTE=Wools;2230664]

RR6 as RR7 is the same game but with more content. /QUOTE]

Thats some serious ridge sacrilege going on there.....

Comment

Aside from some optimisation differences, it's technically true though?

Ridge Racer 7 is Ridge Racer 6 but with a lot more content so RR7 is the one I would go for, loved that launch game.

Comment

Originally posted by Wools View Post
                              Ridge Racer 7 is Ridge Racer 6 but with a lot more content so RR7 is the one I would go for, loved that launch game.
                              Also, the resolution looks clearer, there's more colour, and it's just far nicer to look at. I'd never go back to RR6 after 7. Namco did a great job with #7.

I agree with everyone who hates Unbounded and wants a proper Ridge Racer 8 for the PS4. Fingers crossed.

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
                                Not at all, but to appreciate V you have to have played the original titles. People who started with R4 cannot understand why V is so awesome because it is devoid of everything which made R4 so "Perfect".
                                I disagree, I've known people who adored Ridge Racer V when they brought it along with a launch PS2 (Either original Japanese version or oddly bordered and sped up PAL UK release) who had never played the original games in the series. Also, die hards who played all the old games and then hated Ridge V as it was stripped back in comparison to Type 4.

Both are valid points of view, I fall somewhere in the middle with my love for Ridge V.

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                                After all the periphery noise in this thread, I did not even know the original discussion of Ridge Racer originated from this!

Fantastic video Yakumo, I want to pick up the original PAL UK dual case release after watching that!

Comment

Working...
                                X