Battle of the Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asura View Post
    Naturally I understand what you mean. Personally I've always had a fondness of the kitsch appeal of Sega's stuff. That being said, I don't personally remember much about RRV's presentation.

Where's "The 90s Arcade Racer" at these days?
    While I adore the masterful Sega Rally, I don't have any time for any other of their 3D racers. I find them bland to play and tacky. So not really my area of appeal.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
      The jaggies was a massive thing that was played on by those that wanted the machine to fail. Everyone totally ignored the stunning image the western versions of Tekken Tag produced. It was fully anti aliased and like Soul Calibur, looked leagues ahead of the arcade game.

I agree a lot of DC games looked clean, especially Sega's own arcade games and ports. However a crap ton look scruffy too.

RRV did suffer a bit from jaggies. I often wished they had also added anti aliasing but I've grown to love the razor sharp image.
      Probably best we don't go over this argument as it's been done to death! Plus hindsight affects things a fair bit.

I wasn't some kind of PS2-hater who could never be convinced by the qualities the machine did possess (as I said before, I loved the PS2). This was all about first reactions, remembering that RRV was a launch title. Had I taken the plunge on it at the time, I might've seen past my initial negative reaction (as I have with a fair few other titles over the years), but being a DC owner, I didn't jump ship until not long before it was totally clear that ship was dead in the water.

Then again, as I often say, I have specific, personal preferences about a lot of stuff that affects my judgement. For instance, Soul Reaver was one of my favourite DC games, because it was running on much more powerful hardware than the PS1 it was designed for. That made it pin-sharp and the framerate as smooth as butter. I wish every 3D game was like that. I developed a taste for it when I got my first 3DFX card (a Voodoo-1), back when 3D cards were a luxury, not a requirement. We had a whole era of PC games running like you were using a PC from 3-4 years into the future to run today's games. The DC at the time felt like the console equivalent in many cases.
      Last edited by Asura; 16-09-2015, 11:04.

Comment

Soul Reaver was indeed lovely on DC!

Check out NTSC Ridge V if you can. Although don't play it on LCD because it looks pants!

Comment

Check out NTSC Ridge V if you can. Although don't play it on LCD because it looks pants!
          not with a framemeister ;-)

Comment

RRV did suffer a bit from jaggies. I often wished they had also added anti aliasing but I've grown to love the razor sharp image.
            hell no, the crisp, almost high res lines are what makes it - look at what anti aliasing did to RR6....

Comment

I actually think RR6 looks miles better than 7.

Comment

I actually think RR6 looks miles better than 7.
                if you prefer lower resolution, poorer textures/shading and less detail, well then fair play to you ;-)

http://images.eurogamer.net/assets/a...er_7_1080p.jpg (click to enlarge)

Comment

I just found the PS3 version left me cold.

Comment

I think there is also a vague bias against Ridge V. A lot of bitter people that it launched with the system that killed the DC and how a it was a joke because MSR was apparently so much better.
                    Terrible PAL port aside, I feel not enough gave it a proper go.
                    Common mistake that PS2 didn't kill the DC, it was Sega that killed it, the Christmas 2001 sale in the west put the PS2 behind the DC, however in Japan it was behind Sony's console. Sega of Japan made the call ignoring Europe and US advice, the Japanese branch later admitted their error and attempted to reserve it, but lost the shareholder vote to do so.

Ridge Racer V was a pretty poor title on the PS2, Gran Turismo 3 was a much better showcase of what the system could do. As a whole I think the Ridge Racer series lost it's way after the PS1 era and never recovered.

Err dvdx2 RR6 was released on Xbox360 only RR7 was PS3 only, looking at the two pictures your link to I have to agree with nakamura the shadowing and car detail look better in RR6.
                    Last edited by S3M; 16-09-2015, 12:21.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
                      if you prefer lower resolution, poorer textures/shading and less detail, well then fair play to you ;-)

http://images.eurogamer.net/assets/a...er_7_1080p.jpg (click to enlarge)
                      Hate to be awkward, but I'm normally a stickler for such things and if those two images featured the same car, I'd struggle to tell the difference. I certainly don't see one as "better" than the other.

EDIT: I can see the shadows are sharper on the PS3 version, but even so, I think the difference is pretty minor considering the game came out a fair while later.
                      Last edited by Asura; 16-09-2015, 13:43.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                        Hate to be awkward, but I'm normally a stickler for such things and if those two images featured the same car, I'd struggle to tell the difference. I certainly don't see one as "better" than the other.
                        click on each pic to enlarge

Comment

Originally posted by S3M View Post

Err dvdx2 RR6 was released on Xbox360 only RR7 was PS3 only, looking at the two pictures your link to I have to agree with nakamura the shadowing and car detail look better in RR6.

yes the xbox pic is RR6 on the 360 the other pic is RR7 on the ps3 - the post is about comparisons of the two games, irrespective of format

i dont have a pics with the same car, but i'm pretty certain it would look better with the higher resolution of the ps3 version, if going by the backgrounds is anything to go by

Ridge racer V a pretty poor title? Naka, certainly wont be agreeing with that!

Comment

Request for a future episode:

Kung Fu Master / Spartan X

If you please.

Comment

Spartan X? Oh man, you really do want to drive me mad That game is so tough plus there are many ports of it. But hey, if that's what you want I'll add it to the future shows list. This Saturday's show is made now so maybe I'll do Spartan X the following week.

Comment

Tough? Erm... okay heh. If I can do a loop or two, then it's about as hard as SNES Ghouls 'n Ghosts
                                Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Working...
                                X