No announcement yet.

Battle of the Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pretty sure the only difference with Final Fight Guy was the new invincibility power up and the trick where you can recharge your health meter on stage 5 by walking up and down the screen in front of the dog.

Comment

The 60fps version of the Final Fight Battle of the Ports show is now up for download at the official site along with the standard 30fps version. Both videos are in highest quality 720p

Comment

You can do the health recharge in Final Fight too.
        Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

The chap who did the speccy version of R-Type has written a free book about it! You can get it from his site here http://bizzley.com/

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
            Yeah. The millions of ports, the Mode 7, the vibrant colours. The machines were worlds apart.
            In fairness, that doesn't really change the fact that the hardware was completely unrelated to the Snes.

MegaCD version for me, by the way. Colour pallet aside, it's by far the best home version. I even prefer playing it over the newer arcade perfect ports.
            Last edited by sj33; 08-09-2013, 22:11.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33 View Post
              In fairness, that doesn't really change the fact that the hardware was completely unrelated to the Snes.

MegaCD version for me, by the way. Colour pallet aside, it's by far the best home version. I even prefer playing it over the newer arcade perfect ports.
              Incorrect. The X68000 version is the closest to the PCB outside of the CPS Changer cart.
              Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

I actually wasn't counting the X68000 version because the hardware is so close to the CPS1 anyway.

Comment

The Mega CD version is marred by the arranged soundtrack for me personally.
                  Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

I can see why it wouldn't be for everybody, though I suppose there's nothing stopping somebody just replacing the CD tracks with the arcade tracks.

Comment

Just to further expand on the home ports, Bob Pape who did R-Type for the speccy also did Rampage

"When converting an arcade game to another system it helps to have the actual arcade machine there in front of you, something you thinkwould be totally obvious to most people but unfortunately Designmaker couldn't stretch to getting hold of a proper Rampage arcade machine which made mapping out the game a little difficult.

So in keeping with the Designmaker ethos of 'make do' Andrew and I met up at an amusement arcade in Swansea one evening with Kightley. The three of us played on a Rampage machine there for an hour or so, shovelling in coins for as long as we could. Designmaker couldn't even afford a video camera to film the screen - and I doubt if we'd be allowed to use one in the arcade - so I came up with a cunning plan.

I had a portable cassette recorder in a backpack with a microphone draped over my shoulder so I wouldn't need to hold it and every time a new screen appeared I'd try and describe how many buildings there were, any special features that appeared, what the between-game newspaper headlines said etc. and hopefully try and transcribe what I'd said later on. It really was as low tech as that but luckily the game was quite repetitive in nature so I just about got away with it. Later on I received a video tape of someone playing Rampage which helped flesh things out and which probably came from Catalyst..... speaking of which.
                      "

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                        I thought that too. FF Guy is the same as normal Fight Fight isn't it? Just with Guy instead of Cody. That's why I didn't bother with the normal Final Fight on the SFC.
                        Well that's odd I played a version of final fight guy on a SNES emulator that had the missing power plant level added back in along with the rolento. But youtube seems to suggest my memory is incorrect have to dig out the version of FF Guy I played again.
                        Last edited by S3M; 09-09-2013, 11:40.

Comment

I think your memory is playing tricks on you. No such version was ever made by capcom. I guess somebody could have always hacked together a version like that though.

Comment

Battle of the Ports - Double Dragon is now on YouTube. The 60fps high quality version will be up for download in a week.

Please think about being my patreon, Thanks!http://www.patreon.com/bofp---------------------------------------------------------------------Battle of the Por...

Battle of the Ports - Double Dragon.
                            Video time listing

00:40 - Arcade Original
                            2:40 - Mega Drive
                            4:42 - Atari ST
                            5:23 - Amiga 500
                            6:12 - GameBoy Advance
                            8:10 - Game Boy
                            9:51 - Game Gear
                            11:25 - Master System
                            12:57 - Famicom (NES)
                            14:13 - Amstrad CPC
                            15:25 - Commodore 64
                            16:22 - ZX Spectrum
                            17:23 - Atari 2600
                            18:33 - Atari 7800
                            19:37 - MSX
                            21:06 - XBOX 360

Enjoy

Comment

Im liking this port series makaimura is my fave so far, ever thought about doing wonderboy? As in the first one, theres a ton of ports of that on both consoles & old computers.

Comment

Apart from the MD and GBA versions that's one whole load of ****e!

Comment

Working...
                                X