No announcement yet.

Battle of the Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The NES version is a mixed bag I think. It has some poor graphics but nice tunes. It does play well though.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
      The NES version is a mixed bag I think. It has some poor graphics but nice tunes. It does play well though.
      Agree with you for the most part, though let's be honest - the home computer ports of Cabal really aren't light years ahead of it, graphically speaking.

Comment

Check out the show, you'll be surprised at the Amiga and ST versions. The 8bit versions look poor although I'd say the C64 version isn't bad at all in the graphic department.

Comment

I've already seen the Amiga and ST versions. I stand by what I've said - yes they are graphically better than the NES port but I personally don't feel that the difference is by a whole hell of a lot.

For me, NES Cabal arguably plays and feels more like the coin-op than they do. And yes, it is graphically better than the C64 version.

That said, of course I'm looking forward to the next BotP episode!
          Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 15-12-2014, 01:13.

Comment

Love these films! Going back to Toki, I thought the Atari Lynx version was great. But I've never met anyone outside of myself who actually has played it... :/

Anyway, thanks for sharing these brilliant films

Comment

You're welcome. More to come this week.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                Halfway through making the Parodius show now.
                No point. PCE version wins every time. Looks so much more colourful and vibrant than the arcade or SNES versions. The music sounds bouncier, too.

Comment

Hmm, I think you'll find many will dissagree with you there Still, we all have our own ideas of what we like.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                    No point. PCE version wins every time. Looks so much more colourful and vibrant than the arcade or SNES versions. The music sounds bouncier, too.
                    SFC Parodius wasn't a port of the coin-op, iirc?

PCE Parodius is a good port of the original coin-op (and a must for any PCE owner) but SFC Parodius is far more colourful and vibrant imo.

EDIT: Just realised that there were two SNES Parodius titles, one of which was a coin-op port.
                    Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 15-12-2014, 22:24.

Comment

love the videos looking at different ports - the days of non-perfect arcade posts made the whole process pretty exciting.

Great stuff

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                        Even when it's a foregone conclusion, it's great fun seeing ports I didn't know existed of games, and versions I haven't played. The Spectrum version of Smash TV, for example, looked more like Snake than Smash TV.

Comment

Originally posted by capcom_suicide View Post
                          Love these films! Going back to Toki, I thought the Atari Lynx version was great. But I've never met anyone outside of myself who actually has played it... :/

Anyway, thanks for sharing these brilliant films
                          I had a Lynx when I was 12 - 14 and really enjoyed Toki

Comment

Winding back - I like the Bionic commando NES soundtrack but ahead of Follin's c64 track? There are things the first level track does with the SID chip that should be illegal

Comment

Originally posted by jonathan_ingram View Post
                              I had a Lynx when I was 12 - 14 and really enjoyed Toki
                              That was great to hear! It was a really well made port.

Looked better on the Lynx screen, but this was pretty advanced for a handheld!

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                                I'll say this much: The NES port of Cabal is/was a lot better than I thought it would be. I'd argue that it stands up favourably alongside the home computer ports.

Makes you wonder why 1990's Blood Bros. (basically the spiritual sequel to Cabal - Cabal in the Wild West) didn't get the home port treatment...
                                Man, I played loads of that as a kid. It was an awesome game.

Comment

Working...
                                X