Battle of the Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Protocol Penguin View Post
    I may be misremembering something here, but wasn’t there an 8-player huge-screen version of Starblade, or was that something else?

I remember they had one of these Galaxian 3 machines in an arcade in London, but I used to just watch it rather than play it. The style of game has never really appealed to me, but I have played them in the home.

It was ported to the PlayStation, but I've never played it.

Comment

Yep I definitely remember 6 player Galaxian 3 at the Troc in London, it still looks great to this day. I’d love to have the chance to play it again. I played arcade Starblade again last year and it’s such an experience, it’s the kind of game that benefits from an arcade environment. Saying that though I think the Wii VC version is my favourite home port, the Wiimote lends itself perfectly to the control scheme.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post

I remember they had one of these Galaxian 3 machines in an arcade in London, but I used to just watch it rather than play it. The style of game has never really appealed to me, but I have played them in the home.

It was ported to the PlayStation, but I've never played it.
        I was luckly enough to play the 16 player version at Paramount Pictures theme park in California . Thought it was just an amazing experience and one of the true highlights of the hoilday

Comment

Originally posted by Arashikage View Post
          Yep I definitely remember 6 player Galaxian 3 at the Troc in London,
          I think they also had a smaller version across the road in the Namco WonderPark.

I think the Wii VC version is my favourite home port, the Wiimote lends itself perfectly to the control scheme.
          I didn't know about that version - Wiki says it was Japan-only release. I just read that Tekken 5 has Starblade as an unlockable, so I might try and get that.

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
          I was luckly enough to play the 16 player version at Paramount Pictures theme park in California . Thought it was just an amazing experience and one of the true highlights of the hoilday
          Must have been an amazing experience back then. Even now it would probably impress.

Comment

Yeah the Wii port is about as good as you can get at home. The control method can make or break the game which is why digital inputs don’t work that well. Even analogue controls can be cumbersome compared to a motion controller. Saying that though the PS2 port is very good, it’s just hidden behind a crud game mode on Tekken 5.

Comment

it’s just hidden behind a crud game mode on Tekken 5.
              I might try and endure it.

Comment

Leon Retro, thanks, that’s exactly the game I remembered! Played it at Brighton pier front in 1993. Cost something unheard of like £2 or £3 for a single credit per person.

System16 - The Arcade Museum. Detailed Hardware information on Arcade Hardware and Systems.

Seems that it was a rail-shooter using Laser Disc trickery, but even then, it’s quite a reminder how ambitious the highest-end of gaming was back in the ‘90s.
                Last edited by Protocol Penguin; 02-07-2018, 14:20.

Comment

Originally posted by Protocol Penguin View Post
                  it’s quite a reminder how ambitious the highest-end of gaming was back in the ‘90s.

Virtua Racing had this 4 player set up where you sat in F1 cars. I remember being amazed when I saw it in the London Trocadero. But extravagant set ups like this cost more to play.

Comment

I remember having a go on that in the Troc. They also had the awesome deluxe cabinets for Sega Rally and the 8-player Daytona USA set up. I loved that place. Only time I’ve ever seen a Sonic Fighters cabinet. And I got stuck upside down in an R360....

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
                      And I got stuck upside down in an R360....
                      One of my friends went on the R360 and loads of coins fell out of his pockets.

Funland in the Trocadero always had the most impressive machines and games you didn't see in other places. They had Ridge Racer with a real car you sat in and had a huge screen in front of it. I remember big crowds gathered around that to witness the most impressive racing game of the time.

The 90s was an awesome era for arcades. I will always miss those days.
                      Last edited by Leon Retro; 02-07-2018, 20:27.

Comment

They had one of those Ridge Racer set ups in the arcade at Meadowhall, that’s where I had a go. It was a Mazda wasn’t it?

They also had one of those moving simulator pods with 2-player Wipeout, one pilot and one gunner.... never seen that anywhere else, was quite awesome.

Comment

They had one of those Ridge Racer set ups in the arcade at Meadowhall, that’s where I had a go. It was a Mazda wasn’t it?

Yeah, a red Mazda. It even had a working ignition. Such great days to visit arcades and be amazed by companies showing off the latest tech.

They also had one of those moving simulator pods with 2-player Wipeout, one pilot and one gunner.... never seen that anywhere else, was quite awesome.
                          I've never seen that - sounds really cool.

I remember a futuristic racer from Konami called Speed King/Road Rage that had an amazing cab with hydraulics. It was later ported to the PS1, but I don't think it was very good.

Looks like the arcade version hasn't been made available for MAME.
                          Last edited by Leon Retro; 03-07-2018, 01:43.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                            Funland in the Trocadero always had the most impressive machines and games you didn't see in other places.
                            This. Love it or loathe it now that it's nothing more than a memory, but I certainly got to play certain titles (including the aforementioned R360 and "sit in a car Ridge Racer") that I saw nowhere else. Now I know that a couple of R360 are still functioning and owned in private collections in the UK, I wonder if anyone has the giant Ridge Racer? multi player Daytona etc, and Neo Geo AVS machines and... light gun games aplenty when they were flavour of the year. The only massive game I don't ever remember seeing there was Galaxian 3.
                            Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                              Now I know that a couple of R360 are still functioning and owned in private collections in the UK, I wonder if anyone has the giant Ridge Racer? multi player Daytona etc, and Neo Geo AVS machines and... light gun games aplenty when they were flavour of the year.
                              I know that some people are lucky enough to have multiplayer Daytona cabs in their home. There are probably people with light gun machines at home. If I ever become a millionaire on the lottery, I will definitely buy OutRun 2 multiplayer cabs.

Comment

There was a guy in the US that had three R360s, two of them being functional. Can’t find his website anymore though. I’m sure they were in his garage... apparently the electric bill was quite astronomical after he’d had them fired up for a party weekend.

Prop Cycle is another cabinet I’ve only ever seen in the Troc, I’d love to have another go on this one as it’s rather unique.

And they had a few of those rear projection cabinets with skis or a snowboard stuck to the front, they were pretty good fun.

Comment

Working...
                                X