PS2 Slim won't read PSone games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS2 Slim won't read PSone games

I have an Asian Slim PS2 SCPH-70006, unmodded and it's capable of playing games from any region. My only problem is that it won't boot PSone discs whatsoever. Would I need to get a new laser for it?

Unless it's modded, it'll only play NTSC-J and NTSC-C games. No retail PS2 hardware is multi-region.
    Last edited by J0e Musashi; 07-09-2013, 11:20.
    Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

It could be the laser. From memory, the different type of disc may be why it makes a difference. Somewhere in the PS2 menu there's a laser setting, which would be a temporary fix, and you could use it to test the functionality. When you're on the front menu you hit triangle and it's there somewhere...

Comment

Originally posted by monomaniacpat View Post
        It could be the laser. From memory, the different type of disc may be why it makes a difference. Somewhere in the PS2 menu there's a laser setting, which would be a temporary fix, and you could use it to test the functionality. When you're on the front menu you hit triangle and it's there somewhere...
        That's just normal or slow read speed. Won't affect anything really. Can play about with laser intensity - or maybe the PS2 is actually modded with a dodgy modchip that has a PS1/DVD mode. That would make no PS1 games play normally.

Comment

Put the ps1 game into the machine then put the machine into standby.

Turn the machine on by tapping the power button twice.

Does it boot?

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
            That's just normal or slow read speed. Won't affect anything really. Can play about with laser intensity - or maybe the PS2 is actually modded with a dodgy modchip that has a PS1/DVD mode. That would make no PS1 games play normally.
            I used it when my laser started to go on my PS2. It meant I could play games that otherwise didn't work.

Comment

Fair enough.

Comment

The diagnostic mode just puts extra strain on the laser. It's purely for diagnostics, and should not be used in the long term. Personally I think it's the chip as Oliver says.
                Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

I had the misfortune of owning a slim with a modchip that was incredibly difficult to get into PS1/DVD mode. Pita.

Comment

Yeah, not a good long term option, but nice in the mean time if it works.

Comment

Recently I bought the original fat ps2, which also wouldn't read PS1 discs or PS2 CD discs.
                      Put it standing up vertically and it hasn't given me any disc reading problems since.

(I might have smacked the console a couple of times too. )

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, it's odd since it doesn't appear that the warranty seal is removed. I guess I can try looking up boot modes for modchips in the case that it is modded. Failing that, I'll replace the laser.

I know that it plays US and JPN games.

Comment

Have you tried what I suggested?

Comment

Originally posted by Rockman_Joey View Post
                            I know that it plays US and JPN games.
                            It's modded then.

Comment

Working...
                            X