Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SFC F-Zero, what a killer app it was, oh, and those SFC battery backed up carts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SFC F-Zero, what a killer app it was, oh, and those SFC battery backed up carts...

Hi guys, I've been away for a couple of years but just got back into the old games and I'm currently trying to play through all my beloved SFC stuff having dug it out of storage.

One disadvantage of being mid-40's is having no time to play but at least with a 10 year old son I have a great excuse to at least try. Not sure I'll ever find the time again to complete Zelda, Secret of Mana etc though...

Had to say I'd forgotten how incredible F-Zero was in so many ways and what a killer app it was and just how good Nintendo were at perfecting stuff back then. The way it showcased so much of what the new SFC was all about at launch - the speed, the colours, Mode 7, the use of the inovative shoulder buttons and the sheer playability but maybe most of all the music. Having a real nostalgia trip playing this and listening to the tunes - especially the end of race melancholic piece so reminiscent of John Carpenter's Assault on Precinct 13.

The other thing is will the SFC battery backed up games ever die?! Most of my SFC/SNES games I bought BITD 20 odd years ago now and despite not playing some for over 5 years they all still hold the records and save files, remember when they came out the talk was of 5 year battery life...

When I get home, the gushing will start.

Comment

From where Martin? Lol

Must say that I have been hankering for a SuFami and MD recently..

Comment

F-Zero is a real fave of mine too. It was a huge moment for me when I first saw it running in a shop window ... The attract sequence attracted me so much I simply had to have it that day. Watching the track loop round in those neon pinks, greens and purples, with all the twinkling detail down below, I'd never seen anything like it. Especially the way it moved. The perfect demonstration of Mode 7 right from day 1.

Getting the game home took it to another level again, for two reasons; music and gameplay. Mastering the handling and weaving through those tight circuits with total control felt so natural (loved the feeling of angling the Craft at a slight angle to cope with the pull of the magnetic barriers on some circuits).

Actually, I don't know why I'm still talking in the past tense. I've never been without the game in some form (VC in past few years - more recently on my Super Famicom). The game still looks, plays and sounds just as wonderful now as it did when it came out. Genuinely timeless.

Originally posted by Max P. View Post
        Having a real nostalgia trip playing this and listening to the tunes - especially the end of race melancholic piece so reminiscent of John Carpenter's Assault on Precinct 13.
        Yeah, that little tune between races is ace ... Provides a proper chill-out moment before the next race. In fact the whole soundtrack is a masterpiece. Fits the game like a glove and makes me feel all warm and nostalgic when I play.

I've been rediscovering F-Zero GX recently. Beautiful game ... But I think the original would still be my desert island F-Zero
        Last edited by Atticus; 22-11-2013, 17:20.

Comment

A SNES/SFC classic, no doubt.

But for me, F-Zero X is the best title in the series.

Comment

Oh how do I love this game, 23 years old and still as fresh as a daisy.

What I love about it so much is the sheer depth on offer here. The handling model is so much more complex than it seems. Each car has a completely different feel in terms of turning and overall weight. For years and years I thought the blue craft was the best but actually the green one is the best overall vehicle. The reason is that the weight gives decent grip for collisions but it also allows for decent sized boosts when hitting arrows. Also it holds speed better than blue and yellow which is vital on master level. You also lose less speed when decelerating for sharper turns with heavier vehicles so the right racing line is vital.

Acceleration is an interesting one because it's utterly void above 400kph as each craft accelerates at the same rate from then on.

Difficulty levels is the other thing I love. People often say F-Zero is dull and most of the time they are only playing on standard or even easy. On master, this game is without doubt the best example of intense racing from the era, perhaps of the generation and unrivalled until perhaps X. You really have to be at the top of your game or you will be left for dust, even the drones get involved with plenty of place changes going on. It's not uncommon to see a couple of the main cars down in 6th or 7th place on this level.

Track design is timeless. Flat they may be but fast they certainly are. I would adore this partially remade for 3DS with the dual layer Mode 7 from the GBA games. Music is suitable superb and sits alongside X as the best OST in the franchise.

Graphics hold up well, looks a bit scruffy on larger sets and there is a tiny bit of slowdown on the JP release.

I love the game, it's a 10/10 without doubt. It was also a showcase for the new hardware which is something moneybags Microsoft can't manage themselves today.

Comment

I always feel like a weirdo when I say it, but F-Zero is my favourite game of all time. It's a game I've loved from the first moment I played it - and the retro game I go back to most often. It always grabs me, puts a big smile on my face, and reminds me why I love gaming.

When it came out, it was a technical marvel; a title people would use to show off the SNES. I think it had an unfair reputation as a game that wasn't AAA, but more of a 'tech demo'. Of course, it also gained a loyal following of people who really appreciate its overall design. Many of those early fans still regard the original as the best entry in the series.

It's not just nostalgia that compels people to keep on playing F-Zero. No, it's a game that still delivers in all areas. The graphics always had a neon abstract charm, and that hasn't diminished at all over the years. I really appreciate how each track has a distinct vibe about it. It may all look a bit samey to some people, but that point of view would be unfairly short-sighted.

A big mention must go to the music, which is nothing short of aural brilliance. Mute City's tune is a well-known, much-loved classic, but most of the other tracks are also a joy and highly memorable. I personally think Big Blue has the best music, but I'm fond of all of all the compositions. The well-realised sound effects also enhance the experience.

When it comes to gameplay, put the game on a high difficulty level, and then say it's not gripping. The feel of the crafts is bang on perfect, and all the little details such as speed pads, drone crafts, and mines, help to keep things frenetic and interesting. The game designers deserve an achievement award for doing such a brilliant job. I hope Nintendo rewarded them well.

It's a shame the game doesn't have a 2-player mode. That's the only bad point.
              Last edited by Leon Retro; 29-11-2013, 02:43.

Comment

I remember when I first got my SNES with this. My gran claimed she couldn't tell the difference between F-Zero and something on my NES, and wondered what my 18-month long fuss was about.

Comment

Working...
                X