PC Engine CD games...what's essential??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PC Engine CD games...what's essential??

So guys I'm currently deliberating adding a PC Engine to the pile of stuff I'll never touch & I'm trying to decide which route to go...get a Core then add a CD-Rom later or go the full monty & grab a Duo straight away.

Now the bulk of what I've always wanted to play are Hu Cards & tbh I've never been that up on the CD side of things so my list of stuff worth getting it worryingly small (Strider / R-Type Complete / Cotton / Super Darius / Dracula X) so I'm thinking maybe just plump for the Core & then worry about getting the CD Shiz later.

But can anyone enlighten me as to what I'm missing & why I should just jump on a Duo from the start.

Thanks in advance

Neil

I'm not sure you should jump on CDRomery from the start but can recommend some games, ps Strider requires an Arcade Card to run.

Gates of Thunder - pure badassery music and design.
    Valis III & IV - need i say anything.
    Shubibinman III

Comment

Thanks buddy

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
      Valis III & IV - need i say anything.
      You might have to...I've never heard of it

Comment

It was one of the flagship PC Engine CD-Rom series of the time (total of 4 games + one of all the cut scenes), confusingly the last one released "Valis : The Fantasm Soldier" was a remake of the first game in the series.

Basically your some sexy anime broad with a he-man style sword giving you super powers smacking up beasts from dimension Z to a kick ass synth rock soundtrack.

Comment

It was one of the flagship PC Engine CD-Rom series of the time (total of 4 games + one of all the cut scenes), confusingly the last one released "Valis : The Fantasm Soldier" was a remake of the first game in the series.

Basically your some sexy anime broad with a he-man style sword giving you super powers smacking up beasts from dimension Z to a kick ass synth rock soundtrack.
          Sounds awesome.

Will do some Youtubing tonight for a look see

Neil

Comment

I'll get my teeth in to this reply in a bit mate, there's just sooooo many games..........

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
              I'll get my teeth in to this reply in a bit mate, there's just sooooo many games..........
              Lol I wondered when you'd arrive
              Looking forward to it

Comment

Great Little Site, Neil, inc video footage http://www.pcengine.co.uk/ get a Duo-R :-)

Comment

Red Alert. Like Mercs but has awesome sound(Of course it does, it's by Telenet!) and cut scenes.
                  Shubibinman 3. Not as good as the first, but still bloody good.
                  Human Sports Festival. Has a kickass golf game, as well as Final Match Tennis and Formation Soccer(Which is a bit crud).

Comment

Gates of Thunder - pure badassery music and design.
                    This. I've never been hugely into the PCE but I love Gate of Thunder.

Comment

Don't forget Senko no Ronde. Gonna Yarr Sapphire and by Valis when I get a Duo R I think.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                        Senko no Ronde.
                        Chi no Rondo.

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeyJuggleDX View Post
                          Red Alert. Like Mercs but has awesome sound(Of course it does, it's by Telenet!) and cut scenes.
                          Shubibinman 3. Not as good as the first, but still bloody good.
                          Human Sports Festival. Has a kickass golf game, as well as Final Match Tennis and Formation Soccer(Which is a bit crud).
                          Strong agree on Red Alert. Music is killer.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice so far guys a few more titles to look into.

With regards to the Arcade card wasn't there a version of the Duo that came with the arcade card built in or am I making this **** up??

Neil

Comment

There was never a machine with built in Arcade Card, which is a mistake imo. For Duo's you need the AC DUO, for CDRom2 the AC PRO.

Comment

Working...
                              X