Final Fantasy IX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Final Fantasy IX

Picked up all the Psone FF games in the recent PSN sale and while I played FF7 (favourite game of all time) and 8 (not so much) back in the day, I missed 9 due its relatively late release and it coming out around the same time as the Dreamcast. Anyway, so far I am loving it.

While I usually prefer the cyber punk settings of those aforementioned titles there is just something so charming about the style and setting in 9. I am especially enjoying the game's soundtrack which while being reminiscent of older titles also feels new.

Just wondered what the general consensus was of 9, it is not a FF game that really gets mentioned much probably due to the reasons I mentioned.
    Last edited by tokyochojin; 03-02-2014, 02:57.

FF IX is a wonderful game. Very charming with a much more magical feel to it than the previous 2 games in the series. The world is much more imaginitive too i.m.o and i love how over the top the characters are. As you mentioned the soundtrack is brilliant like FF7 & 8'S but very different and i think it's Uematsu's personal favorite. For some reason there were times where it reminded me of Ozma Of Oz which was an old childrens TV show based on The Wizard Of Oz universe. The only thing i was a tad disappointed with was the Card game which compared to FF8'S is too complicated and a bit random as well as not offering anything in the way of rewards for playing and collecting. The Chocograph hot & cold however is brilliant and well worth playing.

I miss the days where they put so many sidequests and minigames in to add lastability to the game.

Comment

I had a launch DC and certainly didn't miss this outstanding game, especially as it's miles better than any RPG on that machine.

It's a proper retro style RPG, the recently released Bravely Default reminds me a lot of it. Animation is the best out of the PS1 trilogy, music is consistently good, graphics are generally outstanding. Some absolutely wonderful characters too in Steiner, Viva and Zidane. The active time events are also brilliant and Bravely Default does something similar with its party chat system.

Comment

I remember loving IX. Never replayed it though for some reason. I really should get round to doing it some day.

Comment

Working...
        X