No announcement yet.

[15 years!] The NeoGeo Pocket Color Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alright own up, which one of you just snagged the one with Samurai Shodown 2 and Turf Masters?

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
      I never found the original screen to be a big problem to be honest. Is a situation like the Game Gear with the failing capacitors giving worse images over time? Or is it just one of those situations where we are a bit spoiled by lovely screens on more-or-less any consumer product nowadays.
      Have you used one in the last decade?

The NGPC's screen, contemporarily, was great - way better than the Game Boy Colour or original Game Boy Advance. But due to smartphones, handheld screens have moved on so far... For me, the cutoff was the DS Lite/GB Micro/GBA AGS-101 (which all have quite similar screens in terms of quality/brightness) and ever since first using them, I've found myself unable to tolerate anything older.

The GB Micro, honestly, was a wonderful machine... But sadly I can't use those anymore as I just find the screen a bit too small for my eyes (it's fine for action games & platformers, but I play a lot of RPGs etc. on GBA and I get eyestrain when trying to play Final Fantasy Tactics Advance).

The NGPC is actually a very resilient machine. I've used many models over the last few decades and other than potential scratches to the screen, I've never seen a broken one. Though it might have to do with how it was a handheld console that wasn't marketed to children, unlike the GBA/GBC with their range of games based on kids' TV shows.

Comment

I bust mine out every year or so and can't remember thinking the screen was an issue, I guess I'm just used to it. It might help that my favourite game on it is Neo Turf Masters, which isn't going to give you many problems with motion blur. I also tend to play it outside so there's more light.

Comment

This thread has sent me down an expensive rabbit hole, and arguably quite a daft one given this latest news.

Comment

Honestly, it's kinda surprising SNK haven't been doing this all along. Of all the classic gaming companies, they're one of the ones that have done the most to exploit their catalogue. Those ACA ports exist on practically every platform that could carry them.

Comment

Loved the NGPC even got my stepdad one with Neoturfmasters and he got amazing at it

I did have a full set of games for it plus a variety of consoles including the skeleton ones which looked amazing

Brilliant wee console

Comment

I'm a big fan of the Neo Geo Pocket (well Neo Geo in general) I took these photos of my collection in 2019:

https://twitter.com/OllyCapes/status...26884126593024

I'll have to get round to doing some updated photos this weekend, I took some new ones of my Neo Geo AES games recently if you scroll down my feed to the recent posts.

I think it's good to see these ports coming to Nintendo Switch, MOTM is up there with one of the best games on the system and it has cool features for multiplayer on the same system (shame no online option but a bit much to ask probably) amongst other things.

The latest screen mod option for the original NGPC looks really good, its actually 5% bigger than the original but super clear, bright and has customisation options including a "retro pixel" setting that some people may like, the good thing with the NGPC is the battery life from two AA's was probably near 40hrs by default so even if the screen eats 50% of that you'd still get 20hrs~ of gameplay before needing a recharge (I have no idea how much the screen effects battery life, just an example)

For people with the original system I'd highly recommend the Neo Pocket GD if you're into flash cart devices, it simple to use and fairly basic but the option to have the full library including translations, homebrew and everything on the original handheld for portability+using the original clicky stick is awesome.

A newly screen modded NGPC system + NeoPocketGD would be an amazing pairing

Comment

Lovely collection - that's about where I'm trying to get to now, with a small handful of selected games rather than pushing for a full collection. That said, it seems like quite a concise one and with a quite high average if you were to go that route! Balancing the love between Japanese releases and wanting clamshell cases has proven a bit of a struggle, too...

Comment

I have a few NGPC games, mainly picked up around the time the handheld was new.

I haven't even switched on the console in years. Possibly 15 *yikes*

I mainly emulate now. I built a Neo Geo Pi out of a Neo Geo X shell and added a section for NGPC games.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                      Lovely collection - that's about where I'm trying to get to now, with a small handful of selected games rather than pushing for a full collection. That said, it seems like quite a concise one and with a quite high average if you were to go that route! Balancing the love between Japanese releases and wanting clamshell cases has proven a bit of a struggle, too...
                      Cheers Yea I was never going for the full NGPC set, I just wanted to collect the games I liked most if I felt they were finacially viable purchases, some I settled for cartridge only like Magical Drop Pocket, others I liked enough to buy the cheap cartonly but not CIB, then obviously got the NeoPocketSD so that I could play the whole library on the handheld and for maximum portability too.

Originally posted by chipsgravy View Post

I mainly emulate now. I built a Neo Geo Pi out of a Neo Geo X shell and added a section for NGPC games.
                      That Big Bang Fire Pro Wrestling is worth quite a bit these days, being a Japanese exclusive with full english text, Delta Warp is similar for similar reasons.

NGPC games obviously emulate very easily but you miss the joy of the original stick if you emulate thats all.

Comment

Also a very nice little selection! If you ever fancy getting shot of them (MS2 and Sonic in particular!) then please don't be a stranger

Comment

On the topic of value, if you have a fresh copy of Gals Fighters, I think that's worth a hell of a lot because the game can't be reset. Playing it unlocks things and there's no option or secret code to completely reset the cart back to how it is when new.

Comment

Originally posted by Olly C View Post
                            NGPC games obviously emulate very easily but you miss the joy of the original stick if you emulate thats all.
                            Oh yes that clicky stick is amazing. I have never found anything else that feels like it. And that is a terrible shame.

Comment

Well jel of that Cool Boarders. What’s the one on the far left?

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                                Well jel of that Cool Boarders. What’s the one on the far left?
                                Don't be. Cool boarders is terrible on the NGPC. The other two Japanese titles are Big Bang Pro Wrestling and Rockman Battle and Fighters.

Comment

Working...
                                X