No announcement yet.

Golden Era of Gaming...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feel I’m probably repeating some of what’s already mentioned here, yet at the same time it’s nice to see that there are others who share the same thoughts and feelings as me.

For me the golden era of gaming was around 1988 – 1999, but specifically the 16bit era with the Super Nintendo/Sega Mega Drive.

Just seeing Super Mario World for the first time, and how it looked when compared to the NES Super Mario games was phenomenal and I was instantly sold (yet we didn’t purchase a SNES till 1994). All any teenage boy wanted for Christmas in 1992 was a SNES with Street Fighter II. I immersed myself in the likes of The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Secret of Mana, Shadowrun and was still being wowed at what the console was dishing out with games such as Donkey Kong Country, Killer Instinct and Street Fighter Alpha 2.

Also, just the general hype generated over games such as Street Fighter II, Sonic 2 and the controversy over Mortal Kombat (also that Mortal Monday advert).

We didn’t have the internet, but it was slowly emerging, so most of us got our information from gaming magazines. This was our source for cheats and guides (if you wanted to show off the latest moves in the arcade then you need to be clued up).

The arcade scene was also key. Being at the arcade and having a crowd of people watching you as were playing the likes of Street Fighter II, Mortal Kombat 3 and Killer Instinct - this just doesn't happen anymore. Also, playing Konami’s four player Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and The Simpsons at the arcades.

Gamesmaster and Bad Influence were on TV (at one point, they were both broadcast on the same day – I find it amazing that despite the popularity of gaming there are currently no programmes dedicated to it on terrestrial TV). I recall reading how series 2 of Gamesmaster was at one point pulling in 3 million viewers.
    For a programme broadcast on CITV, Bad Influence was the first show in the UK to reveal the then Ultra 64, and everyone’s jaws dropped when they saw Super Mario 64 for the first time. The internet has lessened that level of excitement.

I can remember the long wait for the Nintendo 64 to be released, but feeling excited at the kind of games I would be able to play on it. A lot of hours were spent playing four player Goldeneye and Mario Kart 64 with my siblings. Managing to get a hold of the last copy of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time the day after it was released meant that I was able to play it over Christmas in 1998.

Also, stuff that just symbolises the time:
    The “Nintendo Killed My Son” headline in The Sun.
    People being drawn to the kid that brought a Game Boy into school.
    Getting all the stickers for the Nintendo Official Sticker Album and all the Sega Super Play Panini cards.
    Reading Digitiser on Teletext (and not really getting the humour till later).

While I don’t have as much time for games these days, there is very little that gets me excited. The last game I was constantly thinking about even when I wasn’t playing it was Bayonetta, and that was over five years ago. I don’t see anything on the next generation consoles that I’m desperate to play. I think I would be more inclined to purchase a PC Engine than a PS4 or Xbox One.

Comment

Originally posted by Shingle View Post
      For me the golden era of gaming was around 1988 ? 1999, but specifically the 16bit era with the Super Nintendo/Sega Mega Drive.
      Not meaning to be picky, but that's a rather long 'era' spanning almost four console generations, from the arse-end of the 8-bits to the birth (and almost death) of the Dreamcast. Ducktales is a far cry from the likes of Shenmue!

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
        Not meaning to be picky, but that's a rather long 'era' spanning almost four console generations, from the arse-end of the 8-bits to the birth (and almost death) of the Dreamcast. Ducktales is a far cry from the likes of Shenmue!

not meaning to be picky but how long is an era in your book?

the megadrive was launched in 1988, and did it not get discontinued in 1998/1999? so that would make it the era of the megadrive?

Comment

Maybe we need to start defining gaming epochs.

Comment

Well. One is a platform game and one role playing.

Comment

The golden age of gaming was between 1996 and 1998.

Mario 64
              Golden Eye
              Zelda Ocarina of Time
              Half Life
              Metal Gear Solid
              Final Fantasy 7
              Resident Evil 1 & 2
              Pilot Wings 64
              Star Fox 64
              Tomb Raider 1, 2 & 3
              Diablo
              StarCraft
              Baldur's Gate
              Gran Turismo
              Fallout 1 & 2
              Grand Theft Auto
              Nights into Dreams
              Metal Slug
              Grim Fandango
              Unreal
              Quake 1 & 2
              Civilisation 2
              Age of Empires
              Dungeon Keeper
              X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter

Comment

my main issue with gaming today, and prob since the late 90's is that since the rise of the internet there's too much information on games before there release. i usto actually like being kept in the dark and only having magazines to go by as this is what built the hype for me. i remember taking mags to school in the early 90's and we'd all gather round and talk about games after looking at a couple of screenshots lol.

i know its easy to say, 'just don't look' but its when its all over the internet its hard not too. i feel sometimes like you see that much of a game/system before its release that by the time they come out you've lost interest.

one thing i miss too is the import scene, i usto love importing snes/n64 stuff back in the day

Comment

Originally posted by H-Man View Post

Mario 64
                  Golden Eye
                  Zelda Ocarina of Time
                  Half Life
                  Metal Gear Solid
                  Final Fantasy 7
                  Resident Evil 1 & 2
                  Pilot Wings 64
                  Star Fox 64
                  Tomb Raider 1, 2 & 3
                  Diablo
                  StarCraft
                  Baldur's Gate
                  Gran Turismo
                  Fallout 1 & 2
                  Grand Theft Auto
                  Nights into Dreams
                  Metal Slug
                  Grim Fandango
                  Unreal
                  Quake 1 & 2
                  Civilisation 2
                  Age of Empires
                  Dungeon Keeper
                  X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter
                  To be fair, I doubt I could suggest a better 2-year period in terms of the quantity of exciting games.

Comment

greatest gaming era for me was April 2nd 1994 to April 2nd 1994. That's when final fantasy III came out.

Comment

Originally posted by gamelife View Post
                      my main issue with gaming today, and prob since the late 90's is that since the rise of the internet there's too much information on games before there release. i usto actually like being kept in the dark and only having magazines to go by as this is what built the hype for me. i remember taking mags to school in the early 90's and we'd all gather round and talk about games after looking at a couple of screenshots lol.

i know its easy to say, 'just don't look' but its when its all over the internet its hard not too. i feel sometimes like you see that much of a game/system before its release that by the time they come out you've lost interest.

one thing i miss too is the import scene, i usto love importing snes/n64 stuff back in the day
                      It was all about the magazines, building the hype and just a few snippets of info with a single screen shot if the game.

Comment

I paid around ?90 on import for SFII crazy days but loved it
                        The complete guide to consoles issue 1 bought in December 1989.It had the Japanese megadrive in the back pages,with screenshots of Revenge of Shinobi and Ghouls n Ghosts.Took the mag home and ordered an import megadrive same day

Comment

Originally posted by H-Man View Post

Mario 64
                          Golden Eye
                          Zelda Ocarina of Time
                          Half Life
                          Metal Gear Solid
                          Final Fantasy 7
                          Resident Evil 1 & 2
                          Pilot Wings 64
                          Star Fox 64
                          Tomb Raider 1, 2 & 3
                          Diablo
                          StarCraft
                          Baldur's Gate
                          Gran Turismo
                          Fallout 1 & 2
                          Grand Theft Auto
                          Nights into Dreams
                          Metal Slug
                          Grim Fandango
                          Unreal
                          Quake 1 & 2
                          Civilisation 2
                          Age of Empires
                          Dungeon Keeper
                          X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter
                          Suikoden. Wave Race. SotN. Wipeout 2097.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                            To be fair, I doubt I could suggest a better 2-year period in terms of the quantity of exciting games.
                            Well that was in fact a three year period, but I'll see '96-'98 and raise you the following two-year period across all formats including arcade:

Doom
                            Mortal Kombat II
                            Megaman X
                            Super Street Fighter 2
                            Streets of Rage 2
                            Starfox
                            Dracula X: Chi no Rondo
                            X Wing
                            Ridge Racer
                            Samurai Shodown
                            Syndicate
                            Frontier: Elite 2
                            Shinobi 3
                            Zelda: Link's Awakening
                            Super Mario Allstars
                            Secret of Mana
                            Daytona USA
                            Gunstar Heroes
                            NBA Jam
                            Shining Force 2
                            Sonic CD
                            Super Bomberman
                            Virtua Fighter
                            Jungle Strike

Donkey Kong Country
                            Super Metroid
                            Earthbound
                            Sonic 3/Knuckles
                            Final Fantasy VI
                            Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo
                            Sensible World of Soccer
                            Donkey Kong '94
                            Policenauts
                            Phantasy Star IV
                            KoF '94
                            Virtua Fighter 2
                            Snatcher
                            Theme Park
                            Tekken
                            Virtua Cop
                            Tempest 2000

Emboldened titles are the irrefutably argument-winning entries in my opinion.

We could even stretch it to an equivalent three year period encompassing 1995, and that would add the likes of Chrono Trigger to the mix.

Anyone care to add more 2/3 year periods to the debate? Would be good to use this thread as the basis for a poll so we can determine once and for all when the golden era was, although it may be swayed by the fact many of us seem to be in our mid-thirties, otherwise I would have expected '79-'81 to get a lot more love than it has had in this thread so far.
                            Last edited by samanosuke; 21-02-2015, 11:12.

Comment

although it may be swayed by the fact many of us seem to be in our mid-thirties, otherwise I would have expected '79-'81 to get a lot more love than it has had in this thread so far.
                              Age is definitely going to be a factor, as is location/access to imports. For example, I have no fondness for Final Fantasy titles pre-7, or the likes of Chrono Trigger, because I was a kid in the UK and simply didn't have access to those titles. I accept they're amazing games, just I can't picture them as part of a great gaming era because I don't know them so well.

I have Chrono Trigger DS on my backlog.

Also, bit off-topic, but years ago I bought Final Fantasy IV for the GBA only to discover it was a dodgy copy. I started playing it anyway, and really got into it, but it broke about 20hrs in (the save/load battery failed). If I was going to get it today, which is the version to go for? GBA? DS? I believe there's an iOS version; that's that like? (is it just the DS version in higher-res?)

Comment

Originally posted by Shingle View Post
                                For me the golden era of gaming was around 1988 – 1999, but specifically the 16bit era with the Super Nintendo/Sega Mega Drive.
                                Have to agree maybe a year or two earlier for games like Space Harrier to be included, things started to go a bit wrong once the PlayStation went global and the mass market sequels arrived.

Comment

Working...
                                X