Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which highly rated retro games did you dislike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, the C64 version of R-Type.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Ahoy! View Post
      I was talking about the Amiga version.
      I'm an idiot. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by noobish hat View Post
        No, the C64 version of R-Type.
        So both games were rushed? When I was talking about Giana Sisters, I said it was just a quick cash in. I don't think much time was spent on it. The Amiga version's controls could have been refined more to make it feel similar to Super Mario Bros. I just think it was all about quickly making a game that looked like SMB, without spending much time on the graphics, sound, or gameplay.

Of course, it was normal for games to to be rushed in those days, as publishers gave developers a really short amount of time to create games. And devs didn't have playtesters.

Originally posted by Jay View Post
        I'm an idiot. Sorry.
        You just made a simple mistake. No problem. It's made me want to check out the C64 version.

Comment

Goemon. I just don't click with it. I've got it on SNES and N64 and I just find myself getting bored.

Comment

I should really say R4: Ridge Racer Type 4 I suppose. I don't hate it more than NiGHTS though.
            Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Hold right and you win.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                Hold right and you win.
                To be fair, NiGHTs has always been an easy game. The interest comes from playing for scores, which I've always found very fun.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                  Hold right and you win.
                  Post of the decade.
                  Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
                    Post of the decade.
                    To be fair this can be said of a lot of games - bash a button and done etc.

I think it's unfair to nix a game's playability and other value just on this.

(Technically, it's also untrue. You're not going to win in NiGHTS by holding right. You'll die and never see a boss.)

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                      Some of you people are crazy. I can understand not liking games that divide opinion such as Goldeneye or Shenmue, but when I am hearing people not liking Sonic 2, Rondo, Zelda: OoT and Super Mario Kart, well, I just can't abide that! We are all gamers here, well versed gamers at that, which is why I find it so difficult to believe someone could dislike Rondo but love Castevania IV, or love platformers other than Sonic. Just my tuppence

Well, I was quickly bored of Rondo, and really dislike Zelda OOT and especially the new one on 3DS. And especially despite my undying love for SEGA - I hate Sonic 2.

But most of all IMO Mario Kart can die in a fire. Especially the SNES one.

There are widely acclaimed and loved games. No universally loved ones, sadly (in the sense it's kind of sad to know that there are people who don't like what you utterly love I suppose).

Comment

Hate is such a strong word. Can one really hate Sonic 2? And then taking that to another level with Mario Kart? Harsh.

Comment

People are weird though. Super Ghouls N' Ghosts getting hatred...people actually preferring the ghastly MD Aladdin over the Capcom-in-their-prime SNES version?

Madness! Sonic 2 may be shallow and not really a classic but HATE? I still give it a play every now and then purely for the vintage SEGA eye and ear candy, cos it's on that Megadrive Collection innit and I quite like a blast of it now and then even though I don't really rate it.

Comment

(Although curiously I still own both the original PAL and JP/Asian versions of Sonic 2 btw).

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                              Hate is such a strong word. Can one really hate Sonic 2? And then taking that to another level with Mario Kart? Harsh.
                              It's games we're discussing, not people, so I allowed myself some... hyperbolic license... as it were, sorry.

I do really dislike Sonic 2 and for me Sonic 3 was the real sequel. Just an all around ugly game to me in every sense with nothing unique or redeeming about it. Mario Kart I dislike even more for its inanity among other things.

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                              People are weird though. Super Ghouls N' Ghosts getting hatred...people actually preferring the ghastly MD Aladdin over the Capcom-in-their-prime SNES version?

Madness! Sonic 2 may be shallow and not really a classic but HATE? I still give it a play every now and then purely for the vintage SEGA eye and ear candy, cos it's on that Megadrive Collection innit and I quite like a blast of it now and then even though I don't really rate it.
                              Maybe its anti-nostalgia for some, if that makes sense. Situations and memories surrounding certain games like anything else can skew one's feelings towards anything associated with a negative time and place like anything else. I was bullied mercilessly in boarding school by kids who would have their Mario Kart 64 sessions while beating me up physically and verbally, and so I hate that game with a passion.

Mario Kart SNES though I always thought was drab and lame, slow and all bloody pastel-toned as a younger child and the newer iterations I don't rate at all either.

So anyway maybe there's that.
                              Last edited by usman; 17-09-2015, 00:57.

Comment

That's definitely an interesting spin on why you'd hate a game. I can get that.

I associate The Secret Of Evermore with a period in time in 1996 where this pitch-black depression zoomed in and grabbed me out of nowhere, for no reason. Like, a whole month of pure, inexplicable black void. And I hated that game for a looooong time. Not hated...more it depressed me and for a long time I associated it with that period.

In hindsight, it was a decent quality game, just not my cuppa tea, too western and jarring for a JRPG-style game. But deffo a good effort by the programmers.

But...yeah...I know what you mean. In the same way a crap game might be rose-tinted due to being associated with a particularly happy phase of life.

Like these little philosophical cracks that creep into gaming discussions sometimes.

Comment

Working...
                                X