No announcement yet.

The Sega Mega CD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been thinking about Mega cd a lot lately, got one on offer locally for a decent price...but the cost of the titles I'm interested in is putrid and the extra cost of multi region is putting me off!

Comment

If you can get hold of a cheap everdrive, you can load all the different region bios roms on Base, that's what I've done.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
        Been thinking about Mega cd a lot lately, got one on offer locally for a decent price...but the cost of the titles I'm interested in is putrid and the extra cost of multi region is putting me off!
        Just get Mega cart that's the best option

Comment

Yea have looked at both those options, seen the megacart for $70 but the everdrive is like ?105!

Seen a few cheaper everdrives on ebay, can you load mega cd bios from any revision?

Cheers

Comment

My everdrive was ?50 new, and came with an SD card pre loaded with everything you'd ever need including all bios files.

Comment

Yea have looked at both those options, seen the megacart for $70 but the everdrive is like ?105!

Seen a few cheaper everdrives on ebay, can you load mega cd bios from any revision?

Cheers
              You're looking at the Mega Everdrive mate, you want the Everdrive MD which is a different flashcart. They're about ?65 new.

Comment

Ahh ok Cheers

Comment

The Mega Everdrive does allow you to use it as a ram cart as well mind. I'm not sure how many games you can save on the Mega CD's internal memory but it might be worth considering.

Comment

apologies for thread necro. What's the deal with matching Mega CD hardware with Megadrives. Do the systems both need to be same region, what about if Megadrive has switchable region? Thanks.

Comment

apologies for thread necro. What's the deal with matching Mega CD hardware with Megadrives. Do the systems both need to be same region, what about if Megadrive has switchable region? Thanks.
                      If the Mega Drive has switchable region then you’ll need to switch it to the same region as the Mega CD console in order for the CD unit to start up.

I would recommend getting a region-free bios which will allow any region Mega CD to be used with any region Mega Drive, and will boot any region CD game.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                        If the Mega Drive has switchable region then you’ll need to switch it to the same region as the Mega CD console in order for the CD unit to start up.

I would recommend getting a region-free bios which will allow any region Mega CD to be used with any region Mega Drive, and will boot any region CD game.
                        Great thanks for the info

Comment

As I mentioned last time this came up, a cheapo everdrive with all the different bios on will do the job. I was using a Japanese MD with a PAL MCD and I could play any region on it.

Comment

Both systems need to be from the same region, even if you have a region switch fitted to the Mega Drive. For example using a Japanese Mega Drive on a Pal Mega-CD unit, even with a 50hz or 60hz and region switched fitted to the Mega Drive, won't work, unless you look to use something like Datel CDX or the Tototek Mega Cart.

I find Tototek Mega Cart to be the best since that works with any Mega CD game.

Comment

If you’re looking to buy a Mega CD then most Japanese Mk I models have socketed BIOSes so you can just buy a region-free BIOS off eBay for a tenner and pop it in.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                                Both systems need to be from the same region, even if you have a region switch fitted to the Mega Drive. For example using a Japanese Mega Drive on a Pal Mega-CD unit, even with a 50hz or 60hz and region switched fitted to the Mega Drive, won't work, unless you look to use something like Datel CDX or the Tototek Mega Cart.

I find Tototek Mega Cart to be the best since that works with any Mega CD game.
                                Yeah you’re right, I was thinking about this after I posted and both my units were Japanese but I was using the flashcart to alter the bios to play PAL MCD games. I think I actually sold that MCD to you funnily enough. The old memory isn’t what it used to be.

Comment

Working...
                                X