No announcement yet.

(Retro) What have you been playing this week? Vol.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Always wanted to play that one recall Gamefan giving it a decent review.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
      Always wanted to play that one recall Gamefan giving it a decent review.
      It's average at best. The game is rather glitchy when it comes to sound effects too. Plus for some reason you need to press start twice at the continue screen even though the first press makes a sound indication your selection. The first press makes the choice, so you can't switch between yes and no, then you need to press start again to confirm.
      I was sitting there for 30 seconds thinking the game was loading. There's zero indication that a conformation button press is required.
      Once done, you get a gliched audio clip of the previous continue sound. Quality

There's one particular spinning enemy that sounds like it's sound effects are gliched as well.

Comment

Was exploring the world of SFC ROM hacks last night specifically the FastROM and SA1 hacks. There’s hundreds of them! These hacks use the faster ROM speed available on the SFC which allowed the CPU to run at its proper clock speed and helps negate slowdown, The SA1 hacks use the much faster SA1 chip to offload processing from the CPU. Tried a few obvious candidates to see what kind of improvements this offers. Super R-Type runs pretty much perfectly now as did Area 88, Super Aleste, Gradius III and Darius Twin. The biggest improvement I saw though was in Race Drivin’. Given the SA1 is about four times as fast as the SFC CPU I was expecting a big uplift but not to this extent. The code has been improved on top of the extra oomph the SA1 provides and it’s a remarkable performance improvement. The game is playable now and surprisingly smooth.

If you have the means to run these hacks such as MiSTer or a SD2SNES / FXPAK cart these are well worth trying out.

Comment

Only just retro but we've been playing 2-player Guitar Hero: Metallica. Absolutely brilliant. Glad we've still got those guitar peripherals to rock out with. Dad-power-stance ftw

Comment

Pc Engine fun continues today with Spiriggan

We all know this is an Aleste Game and as such, it's fantastic. Great soundtrack, frantic gameplay and amazing visuals.
            Last edited by Yakumo; 08-07-2023, 17:20.

Comment

Top tier game.

Comment

Living the dream [MENTION=1524]Yakumo[/MENTION]. Been on PCE OG Gradius, god its easy for forget or overlook this one so many sequels and spin offs down the line, imo its still the best one that I've played.

Comment

Back trying out more SFC FastROM hacks. Bio Metal runs a lot better but still chugs a bit. Parodius is butter smooth. R-Type III is lovely. Rendering Ranger runs great but is still a poor game. Super SWIV now plays like the MD version!

Comment

It was Sunday today, so that meant some free time to game.

First up was Shubibin Man 3 by NCS Misaya. Finished this one. some nice ideas in here plus some gorgeous graphics in areas. sadly it's fairly easy on the default setting but you do get some nice extras once completed.

And Choaniki. Never completed this one. the final stage was too annoying. Still, a nice shooter never the less.

It's got an Elvis Boss

And a Thomas boss

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                      Was exploring the world of SFC ROM hacks last night specifically the FastROM and SA1 hacks. There’s hundreds of them! These hacks use the faster ROM speed available on the SFC which allowed the CPU to run at its proper clock speed and helps negate slowdown, The SA1 hacks use the much faster SA1 chip to offload processing from the CPU. Tried a few obvious candidates to see what kind of improvements this offers. Super R-Type runs pretty much perfectly now as did Area 88, Super Aleste, Gradius III and Darius Twin. The biggest improvement I saw though was in Race Drivin’. Given the SA1 is about four times as fast as the SFC CPU I was expecting a big uplift but not to this extent. The code has been improved on top of the extra oomph the SA1 provides and it’s a remarkable performance improvement. The game is playable now and surprisingly smooth.

If you have the means to run these hacks such as MiSTer or a SD2SNES / FXPAK cart these are well worth trying out.
                      I absolutely love these. I’ve been out of the loop for a while and didn’t see that there are so many new ones.

My favourite is still the SMW one.

Comment

Mondays are becoming my favourite day of the week as I basically just have the free time to sit and game all day, and yesterday was definitely a full on PC-Engine day. Good sessions on Parasol Stars, Gunhed, Don Doko Don, Image Fight II, Devil Crash, Final Blaster, Legend Of Hero Tonma and more. Absolutely loving the dive back in to the library. I've also been making a point of putting time in to games that I always thought were a bit **** just to see if I was right or not, and I can happily report my recollections were correct!

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                          Mondays are becoming my favourite day of the week as I basically just have the free time to sit and game all day, and yesterday was definitely a full on PC-Engine day. Good sessions on Parasol Stars, Gunhed, Don Doko Don, Image Fight II, Devil Crash, Final Blaster, Legend Of Hero Tonma and more. Absolutely loving the dive back in to the library. I've also been making a point of putting time in to games that I always thought were a bit **** just to see if I was right or not, and I can happily report my recollections were correct!
                          Don Doko Don and Parasol Stars are probably my favourite platformers on the system.

Have you got Ninja Spirit? I was really impressed when I first played that on PCE

Comment

Due to using the Super HD System 3 hooked up to the Core Grafx, I technically have every game released for the system. I haven’t picked up a physical copy of Ninja Spirits again yet but it’s definitely on my list, superb game, had a good session on it last week.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                              Due to using the Super HD System 3 hooked up to the Core Grafx, I technically have every game released for the system. I haven’t picked up a physical copy of Ninja Spirits again yet but it’s definitely on my list, superb game, had a good session on it last week.
                              I've only got a handful of physical games that I got when I initially got my PCE way back in the early 2000s, I'm happy with seeing those on the shelf but it's Everdrive all the way and then the Analogue Duo.

Star Parodier and Castlevania : Rondo of Blood and major blindspots for me since all I had back in the day when I had a briefcase unit was Kaze Kiri - Ninja Action

Comment

Struggling to upload a photo, but I was at the seaside playing Daytona USA. 3-player linked cabinet, deluxe type, but hacked about to use LCD screens (with gameplay at wrong aspect ratio). But still, real Daytona. Interesting that it’s still enough of a draw to have somebody even bother to fix up some screen solution for it. The force feedback still worked too.

Comment

Working...
                                X