(Retro) What have you been playing this week? Vol.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Colin View Post
    That's the thing though, you can set BIN's at whatever you like, doesn't mean anyone will buy them. It took a while, but I blame people like Spence.77 for where retro gaming is now. I have some bits that I'll have to stick on eBay for silly prices, but in some cases I've had to pay several times the prices to get them that I would've just a couple of years ago so I'm left with no choice.
    Yeah it's getting worse and worse, with all the retro sellers. The good news is that the huge recession we are quite likely to see in the near future should make games a lot cheaper and more common.

Just hope you still have a job however, times like this I wish I hadn't studied Economics.

Still in the mean time I'm getting in some Granada love on the Mega Drive at the moment.

Comment

Ironically the flaws in Mana are much more prevalent early on with the difficulty spikes!

Comment

I always chuckle when I see Granada, because I still mentally call it "Granada X" because of the stylised logo.
        I probably thought it was the same series as Insector X!

Anyway, any mention of Granada should be backed up with a reference to the brilliant boxart, which makes the game look really thrilling!

I hope there's going to be a Mega Drive boxart book like the SNES one that's coming out!

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
          Ironically the flaws in Mana are much more prevalent early on with the difficulty spikes!
          Yep, the ever-present chain KO and unavoidable boss spells do make the early game... interesting. Beating Spikey Tiger just means needing some prep/a little grinding/luck.

edit: While adding that reddit link I did see this posted - http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=20093.0 (Secret Of Mana Gameplay Hack, not just stat changes. It's a long thread).
          Might be worth keeping an eye on.
          Last edited by mezzanine; 27-01-2016, 15:11.

Comment

Rolling Thunder, Wonderboy, Root Beer Tapper, Chelnov, R-Type And Combat Tribes.

Can you tell I've finally got a MAME box?!

Comment

Combat Tribes is a right laugh.

Comment

Originally posted by mezzanine View Post
                Yep, the ever-present chain KO and unavoidable boss spells do make the early game... interesting. Beating Spikey Tiger just means needing some prep/a little grinding/luck.edit: While adding that reddit link I did see this posted - http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=20093.0 (Secret Of Mana Gameplay Hack, not just stat changes. It's a long thread).Might be worth keeping an eye on.
                Spikey Tiger! Only truly hard boss in the game flow!

Comment

Brutal Doom.

Got a server set up on AWS for the sole purpose of hosting a Maps of Chaos: Hardcore (Brutalised classic DOOM levels) survivor/co-op campaign on Nightmare! difficulty for me and a group of colleagues. The above video was last nights test run, but we're hoping to get at least twelve people on over the weekend for a good run at this. Everyone gets one life, and if you die you have to wait for either everyone to die or for someone to reach the exit. Excellent stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                    Rolling Thunder, Wonderboy, Root Beer Tapper, Chelnov, R-Type And Combat Tribes.

Can you tell I've finally got a MAME box?!
                    Guess that's 2016 sorted for you then QC.

Spiked Tiger is a legendary hard boss if you don't know what you're doing on Mana, back when I first played it must have taken us a week to beat him. These days I can flaw him every time, the Mana Beast is also a real pain if you don't know what you're doing and are under leveled, you can also hard crash the game by cast change form on the mana beast, it fills the screen with rabite artwork.

Comment

I felt a little giddy with choice, to be honest.

For some reason, if I died on Rolling Thunder, the shoot button stopped working.
                      Other than that, it was all very exciting!

Combatribes is a pretty meaty beat 'em up. I quite like throwing the motorbikes at people.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                        I felt a little giddy with choice, to be honest.

For some reason, if I died on Rolling Thunder, the shoot button stopped working.
                        Other than that, it was all very exciting!

Combatribes is a pretty meaty beat 'em up. I quite like throwing the motorbikes at people.
                        http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/com...ombatribes.htm
                        Combatribes is an excellent game have the SNES version myself, if you're a fan of Technos Japan's scrolling beat'em up then give Shadow Force a go it's really good fun as well.
                        Last edited by S3M; 28-01-2016, 15:31.

Comment

I'd not heard of that, so thanks, [MENTION=4087]S3M[/MENTION]!
                          I do quite like Technos fighters, so might try a few out, including SNES Super Double Dragon.

Comment

That's the issue with that Xbox QC, there's so much to play you'll find it hard to commit to one game!

Comment

Does QC ever do that anyway?

Been playing more Neo Turf Masters recently. Such a tightly focused, well-made game. It might be my favourite golf game.

Comment

I resemble that remark, [MENTION=5490]wakka[/MENTION]!

Actually, I'm a very monogameous guy!
                                I'll play games to the bitter end, sometimes even if I'm not having fun anymore!

It's quite nice to dip my toes into something arcadey rather than commit months to it.

Tonight I had a blast on Marvel Super Heroes, but I don't know any of the moves.

Comment

Working...
                                X