(Retro) What have you been playing this week? Vol.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    Yeah, I love games that know how to set the scene and put you in the mood. Garou MOTW does this really well too with those animated location snapshots before each bout.
    The Last Blade games do this too, the location shots before the matches increase the atmosphere tenfold.

Comment

Am I the only one that doesn't like Harmful Park? Found it bland!

Comment

I love Harmful Park, but I love every Parodius game a bit more. Parodius games are just a bit more manic and really leave me feeling like I've been on a crazy trip
        Harmful is a much better game for me, its not just the look but it plays better for me . Find the whole Parodius series overrated and couldn't never really get into them, Liked The Game Paradise more myself too

Comment

Originally posted by parkinho View Post
          Last Resort - hard as nails, but I love the aesthetic. The short cut-scene at the beginning, showing your craft take-off against the backdrop of a sprawling cityscape is stunning.
          One of the best shooters ever made, and man that soundtrack is still to this day awesome !

Comment

Are there any duff Neo Geo games really, apart from Fight Fever, riding Hero and maybe Legend of Success Joe?

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
              Are there any duff Neo Geo games really, apart from Fight Fever, riding Hero and maybe Legend of Success Joe?
              Not really and when it comes to 16 bit shooters the system is in a class of it's own.

Comment

My favourite is Pulstar. I really wish I kept my MVS consovolised one slot system now

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                  . Find the whole Parodius series overrated and couldn't never really get into them, Liked The Game Paradise more myself too
                  No, they're brilliant games in all areas, but not everyone will like them. I've loved Parodius since I first played the Super Famicom version and then my passion grew with every game after. They are really good manic shooters, apart from being full of creativity and zany humour. The music is also a joy in all of the games. Such a classic series.

But I also really like Harmful Park, but it doesn't quite excite me as much as a Parodius game. Although, it's most certainly a must-have for all fans of cute 'em ups.

Comment

I like the first Parodius best. After that it all felt rather formulaic but they were still decent.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                      I like the first Parodius best. After that it all felt rather formulaic but they were still decent.
                      Well.. it's a shooter with cute graphics and a zany sense of humour. That's the formula of the series. Gradius, which is what Parodius is a parody of, offers a more sombre alternative. I enjoy both series of games. Also, I have found I enjoy the first three games in their Super Famicom incarnations, despite more powerful machines running them far better.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
                        I found Magician Lord to be a bit crap, and World Heroes too. Burning Fight was a proper stinker.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                          Am I the only one that doesn't like Harmful Park? Found it bland!
                          You aren't alone, my mate has difficulty liking it too. It's anything but bland though, it's bursting with creativity. What with the inflatable dragon boss, the ghosts that shine a torch on their face to look more scary, the wedding scene, a whale that spits out trees and furniture, the list goes on. I find it crazy that Sky Think Systems only ever made this one game.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                            I found Magician Lord to be a bit crap, and World Heroes too. Burning Fight was a proper stinker.
                            Horses for courses, Burning Fight is one of my favorite Neo Geo games!

Comment

Everyone has their Neo Geo guilty pleasures.

Burning Fight doesn't hold a candle to the output of Capcom, it just feels really sloppy in comparison. Much like Fatal Fury could never match the mightiness of Streetfighter 2. I find a lot of early Neo Geo games were pretty lacklustre, SNK only found their feet later on in the machine's lifecycle. That being said I did used to like playing World Heroes down the local chippy. Horse for courses and all that

Comment

Can't agree with that, imo the likes of 2020 Super Baseball, Thrash Rally, Viewpoint, Last Resort, Top Hunter & Sengoku 2 are among the best games on the system.

KOF is for Neo Geo hang ons

Comment

Working...
                                X