No announcement yet.

(Retro) What have you been playing this week? Vol.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haha, fair enough. One thing I will say about early Neo Geo is that SNK weren't afraid of trying out different genres. They really mixed it up with the likes of Crossed Swords, Soccer Brawl, Nam 1975, etc. While SNK finally got to grips with the hardware the machine basically turned into a 1 on 1 fighting console. That's a shame because if they embraced the vision of their earlier games then it really could have been a hell of a machine. Magician Lord 2? Yes please!

Comment

I've got a soft spot for Mutation Nation (the greatest name for a videogame ever!). NAM-1975 and Cyber Lip are also pretty spot on.

Comment

I was never a massive fan of Parodius until I played Sexy Parodius on the Saturn. One of the best games on the system imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
          Horses for courses, Burning Fight is one of my favorite Neo Geo games!
          Yep you said it . I loved and still love Magician Lord too . In fact so many Neo Geo games just haven't aged as bad as most with time

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
            I was never a massive fan of Parodius until I played Sexy Parodius on the Saturn. One of the best games on the system imo.
            Lee talked me into that game (and in that era when Lee said a game was good I bought it on the spot) and while its nice . Still don't think its a real special shooter

Comment

Originally posted by parkinho View Post
              I've got a soft spot for Mutation Nation (the greatest name for a videogame ever!). NAM-1975 and Cyber Lip are also pretty spot on.
              Yeah, all three are nice games. I really like Cyber-Lip.

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
              . I loved and still love Magician Lord too .
              I've always loved Magician Lord. The graphics remind me of Shadow of the Beast(Amiga version) but the gameplay is far superior. It's everything SOTB should have been. Magician Lord is one of the few games I own for my AES.

Comment

Spent yesterday playing Pocky and Rocky 2, Flashback and Chaos Engine.

Pocky is lots of fun and beautiful to boot. Great co-op game with my daughter.

Chaos Engine is solid and enjoyable. It certainly lacks the quality of the best top down games, I still find it rather compelling.

Flashback, whilst clumsy is super cool. Only issue is it really lacks consistent music so it feels a bit lifeless at times.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post

Pocky is lots of fun and beautiful to boot. Great co-op game with my daughter.
                  I have great memories of playing both games with my best mate back in the day. Really nice graphics, great music, and fun gameplay. But both games do get very tough.

Comment

Getting stuck in to Snowboard Kids 2. I think both this and the first one might be my favourite games on the N64 to be honest.

Comment

Alien Syndrome and Kung Fu Master on MAME

Comment

Rolling Thunder (you can return to the Arms rooms of you scroll on a certain distance, which is going to be useful on further replays).
                        WWF WrestleFest. Hulk Hogan and Earthquake took the tag-team title! It would've cost a fortune in the arcade!
                        X-Men. Colossus helped rescue Professor X from Magneto.

My son watched me play all these, so I'm hoping he'll get the retro bug too!

Comment

I made quite a bit of progress on Legend Of The Mystical Ninja last night.
                          There's a lot of Japanese, but I've worked out which doors aren't worth going in, meaning it's a lot easier to play.
                          I don't really feel like I'm missing out too much on the story and the level design for the most part is really solid. Managed to get all the way to (as well as defeat) the giant sumo face.
                          I've saved my progress, so here's hoping I can make sense of the bizarre password system.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                            WWF WrestleFest. Hulk Hogan and Earthquake took the tag-team title! It would've cost a fortune in the arcade!
                            The graphics blew me away back in the day. I remember going into an arcade and seeing it on a huge screen - all the big sprites running around really impressed me. It had the sort of graphics I wish we got in the home.
                            Last edited by Leon Retro; 15-02-2016, 13:01.

Comment

Originally posted by Strider View Post
                              I made quite a bit of progress on Legend Of The Mystical Ninja last night.
                              A beautiful game with excellent music. Have you played the Gradius minigame yet? That was a cool little feauture back in the day.

Comment

I've not actually found it yet. I've found the painter game, the mole bashing game and the horse racing and they're all fun. The only thing that was an issue was the quiz show. Luckily you only lose money, so I wasn't too fussed. I was thinking of eventually replacing it with a US version, but if I'm honest I don't think I'll bother, particularly as a GameFaqs Q&A is only a few clicks away.

Comment

Working...
                                X