(Retro) What have you been playing this week? Vol.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Thought I was the only one . I love that game and the series , used to play it loads in my local chippy; in the good old days when pubs and local chip shops had Arcade machines
    My local takeaway outside the local nightclub had in the hunt, nothing better than being smashed, eating a kebab playing in the hunt

Comment

Originally posted by buster_broon View Post
      My local takeaway outside the local nightclub had in the hunt, nothing better than being smashed, eating a kebab playing in the hunt
      LOL Great times . My chipshop also had the like of Twin Cobra, Wonderboy and Xexxen next to each other for 10 pence a go , what a great way to kill time while you wait for your food . My local Pub had the SNK multi system and you and your mates could play so many countless classics pissed as fart .

Comment

Originally posted by buster_broon View Post
        The thing is World Heroes 2 is a good game, the first wasn't that great and Jet/perfect isn't that much cop either

Fuuma and Hanzo are poor main characters
        Is absolutely right.

Comment

I find it bizarre that the late night takeaway arcade game culture isn't still around. I can understand why arcades have fallen out of favour but surely the appeal of playing a quick arcade game while waiting for your food in the local kebab shop should still be there. I reckon what with retro being all popular nowadays takeaways would do a roaring trade with old arcade games, even if it was just a MAME cab.

Comment

Originally posted by Arashikage View Post
            I find it bizarre that the late night takeaway arcade game culture isn't still around. I can understand why arcades have fallen out of favour but surely the appeal of playing a quick arcade game while waiting for your food in the local kebab shop should still be there. I reckon what with retro being all popular nowadays takeaways would do a roaring trade with old arcade games, even if it was just a MAME cab.
            Funnily enough, the disappearance of coin-ops (and even fruit machines) from takeaway restaurants, leisure centres and the like was something I randomly found myself thinking about yesterday.

Part of me misses that side of things, but then again who would want to pay ?1/?2 a credit (today's prices) to play coin-ops at those establishments nowadays?

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
              In no reality is DKC2 better than Yoshi's Island. It isn't even better than DKC1, ffs!
              No way chief. The original is solid (and includes possibly the greatest ever piece of videogame music in the form of Aquatic Ambience) but the sequel surpasses it on every count. The level design is superb with plenty of verticality and secrets aplenty. The use of the animal buddies is far superior and the difficulty is spot on throughout, with the Lost World particularly challenging. And to top it off, David Wise's OST is phenomenal.

YI is just a pretty collectathon.

Comment

DKC2 is a poor sequel to a good but not incredible game. The level design is sloppy and at times, infuriating. Everything about it is worse.

In no world is it better than Yoshi.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                  DKC2 is a poor sequel to a good but not incredible game. The level design is sloppy and at times, infuriating. Everything about it is worse.

In no world is it better than Yoshi.
                  All the Snes DKC game are vastly overrated imo , but they are great demo's of what the Snes could do graphically and so well worth getting (I always love to see the host system get pushed) . I do love and rate Yoshi Island; its again a great tech demo, but also a decent and well made game in its own right . I just don't like the focus on shooting and aiming though, That to me distracts from the platform parts (for me) and so I find Mario and quite a number of other Platform games to be much better

Comment

Originally posted by parkinho View Post
                    No way chief. The original is solid (and includes possibly the greatest ever piece of videogame music in the form of Aquatic Ambience) but the sequel surpasses it on every count. The level design is superb with plenty of verticality and secrets aplenty. The use of the animal buddies is far superior and the difficulty is spot on throughout, with the Lost World particularly challenging. And to top it off, David Wise's OST is phenomenal.

YI is just a pretty collectathon.
                    Sorry. Just not the case. DKC2 and DKC3 are about as uninspired as it gets for sequels and neither of them are better than the original DKC.

In any case, Yoshi's Island leaves all three of them both standing in terms of gameplay and technical excellence.
                    Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 21-02-2016, 21:46.

Comment

DKC games are pretty much collecting games too.

Comment

DKC games are pretty much collecting games too Super Mario World knockoffs.
                        Corrected.

Comment

I really don't like it when people call Yoshi's Island Super Mario World 2. I mean, yes, that was the subtitle that NoA gave it for marketing purposes, but...

Happy to play the first DKC. It's not bad for a western platformer from that era. Doesn't overstay its welcome,
                          nice music, nice colour palette. Startlingly unoriginal though, feels like it was made using a tick-box list of all the '90s western platform game tropes and cliches.

Comment

I like the first Parodius best. After that it all felt rather formulaic but they were still decent.
                            The MSX one?

Comment

No the SFC one. The first one I played I should have said rather.

Comment

I've been playing Die Hard Arcade onthe Saturn and well its still the best 3D scrolling beat them up , still plays great and looks and sounds really good too. The texture mapping work on this title was some of the best I saw inthe 32bit age .

Comment

Working...
                                X