No announcement yet.

(Retro) What have you been playing this week? Vol.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dalek Attack and New Zealand Story on Amiga.

Dalek Attack seems pretty lame, you start off the game flying around on what looks like Davros’ trolley, followed occasionally by flying dalek a while you try to rescue prisoners along the way.

New Zealand Story is lovely still but the experience is ruined by the commodore joystick I was using. I have some competition pro controllers on their way and will revisit as soon as they arrive.

Also had a go on Shadow if the Beast. Just as I remembered it really; a gorgeous looking demo that the developer tried, and failed, to turn into a game.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
      i've finally made friends with Yoshi's Island.

I'd rate it 8/10. I prefer Mario World, as it's perfect in all areas, and doesn't have the annoying crying baby Mario. Yoshi's has great graphics, some really nice music, and lots of charm. It's definitely a very good game.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post

I'd rate it 8/10. I prefer Mario World, as it's perfect in all areas, and doesn't have the annoying crying baby Mario. Yoshi's has great graphics, some really nice music, and lots of charm. It's definitely a very good game.
        Yoshi's Island is a masterpiece!

I'm glad that they didn't cave to demand for pre-rendered graphics like DKC. It's aged beautifully.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
          New Zealand Story is lovely still but the experience is ruined by the commodore joystick I was using. I have some competition pro controllers on their way and will revisit as soon as they arrive.
          I had an arcade stick for my Amiga which made nearly all games much more playable. I remember my friends getting annoyed that I gave them some dodgy joystick, so I'd have more chance of winning at Kick Off 2 and Speedball 2.

Anyway, I loved NZS on the Amiga, it's a really nice port. It's up there with Rainbow Islands, Rod Land, Snow Bros as a really good Amiga platformer.

Originally posted by Brad View Post
          Also had a go on Shadow if the Beast. Just as I remembered it really; a gorgeous looking demo that the developer tried, and failed, to turn into a game.
          Yeah, a stunning tech demo. It has beautiful graphics, haunting music, and loads of cool techy stuff going on. But it's a really badly designed game.

Comment

Just completed Dragon Quest I Super Famicom remake on my Analogue Super NT. Loved it. Really enjoyable little RPG.

Next up is Super Mario RPG as it now runs on the SD2SNES.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki View Post
              Yoshi's Island is a masterpiece!
              If someone hacks the game to remove the sound of Mario crying, I'll rate the game even higher. The crying noise spoils things a bit.

I'm glad that they didn't cave to demand for pre-rendered graphics like DKC. It's aged beautifully.
              I think RARE did a great job with the pre-rendered graphics for DKC, but I'm glad Nintendo went for a different style that certainly stands the test of time perfectly.

Comment

This is a simple hack that mutes Baby Mario's crying and the timer countdown sound that normall

Comment

I think RARE did a great job with the pre-rendered graphics for DKC, but I'm glad Nintendo went for a different style that certainly stands the test of time perfectly.
                  RARE did an amazing job back in the day. DKC 1+2 are two of my favourite games, but the Yoshi's Island aesthetic is on another level!

Speaking of DKC, David Wise worked miracles with those soundtracks.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post

That's going straight onto my SNES Mini.

Speaking of DKC, David Wise worked miracles with those soundtracks.
                    The underwater music[Aquatic Ambiance] is truly brilliant. I think the music throughout the game really suits the overall style and vibe.
                    Last edited by Leon Retro; 27-09-2018, 09:33.

Comment

Started playing Ai Cho Aniki on PC Engine CD.
                      These games are super quirky in themselves but was particularly interested to play this one as I just find the main sprite completely out of whack for a shooter.

Enjoying it so far as there is A LOT going on that makes it original.

Firstly you have special moves for doing more powerful shots, which is interesting. I haven’t quite worked them all out yet, but have found pressing one direction then the opposite + fire will do a power shot in that direction.

Your other button (not fire) is a spin move which seems to give you some invincible frames for dodging tricky situations. One boss I fought seemed to need this as he has an unavoidable attack where he flies from one side of the screen to the other.

Also, the game seems more based on a timer over lives. Again not exactly sure how it works but you can literally be in the middle of a level and when time is up, it’s game over. You keep the timer high by not getting hit and collecting drops.

One issue I’ve found so far is that I have a tendency to do special moves when I don’t want to due to trying to dodge things while shooting.
                      I do however get the sense this is part of the game.
                      I think it wants you to stop shooting to dodge and position yourself to shoot. I’m not 100% but I know a lot of the enemies are just “there” and don’t really pose a threat unless you run into them.

Interested to get back to this as I think when you get the mechanics down it will be a rewarding experience.

Comment

That's going straight onto my SNES Mini.

The underwater music[Aquatic Ambiance] is truly brilliant. I think the music throughout the game really suits the overall style and vibe.
                        Last time I cheked the patch only worked with the 1.0 ROM and not 1.1. Glitched a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
                          Bit of Gradius III until cramp set in, despo need to get a stick.
                          HORI Fighting Stick SFC is the one to get, it's OK stock but you can put an LS-32/3 in & the buttons are 30mm so can also be upgraded... plus the case is steel & it's just badass

Comment

I had a few goes of Super Tennis. Still a fun game that's full of charm -- Nintendo really should have put it on the SNES Mini.

Comment

Having mentioned Yu Yu Hakusho as a game to try in Samuray’s fighting games thread, I realised I perhaps hadn’t given the game the attention it deserves. Whilst it has somewhat of a cult following, and despite it being technically very impressive for a 16-bit game, I never quite got on with the way the player’s character can face both directions. Going against the grain over almost all other fighters out there makes this one a little tricky to get used to.

Then I watched this video that explains the mechanics and gives tips on how to play the game:

So with a bit of practice, I did something I hadn’t done before: completed the game!

Now I’ve got to do the impossible and convince three mates it’s worth putting time into so we can play the crazy-arse four player Battle Royale mode. Anyone here ever had the fortune to try it?

Comment

Just managed to squeeze a bit of gaming in this morning for the first time in weeks. Things have been so busy lately with visitors from Canada, and the absolute nuisance that has been the return to work!

Anyway, this morning it's been Recca, a title I've only ended up playing because of @garrz32 and it's pretty impressive for the famicom.

Then a bit of PS1 Sexy Parodius.

And finally tried to get in to Demon Front again, but I just can't take to it. It's a lovely looking game, but it's just not as fun or playable as the games it takes its inspiration from.

Comment

Working...
                                X