No announcement yet.

(Retro) What have you been playing this week? Vol.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It’s extremely well implemented, I can’t fault it at all. The fact that original discs work is a lovely gesture, too. [MENTION=6808]Cepp[/MENTION]

Comment

Originally posted by Tetsuo View Post
      I recently got a new stick for my N64 controller, so Super Mario 64 was the first port of call. Ended up getting all 120 stars over a few evenings last week, it's just so much fun choosing which stars to tackle, and coming up with new or different ways of getting them.

After that, I've done the same with GoldenEye. 00 Agent, 16:9 mode, to the end over a couple of evenings. It's still so well paced - I love how you can approach the stages in any way you like: stealthy with a pistol so no guards are alerted, or go running around with machine guns and explosives.
      Defo, it's funny as I've not played Mario 64 in years but I've remembered nearly everything

Comment

Been playing my way through PS1 again, now i have access to pretty much the entire library for Japan i have been going through games i never really got to try. This evening been crying my way through Cho Aniki - Kyuukyoku Muteki Ginga Saikyou Otoko never has a shooting game made me laugh so hard even parodius has never been this funny. It's like they had a Japanese Terry Gilliam make a game it's so wonderfully surreal i absolutely love it naked men everywhere doing crazy stuff lol.

So far i have made it to level 2 or that might be 3 as i think the weird naked robocop boss who shoots other men out of his crotch area is i think just a midway boss as after him you are in some collosseum level where the end boss is a gym coach with a whistle who has control of an army of scantily clad men that form a cheerleader pyramid and proceed to shower you in bullets. When you finish them off you get a stage clear animation segment so i think it might be level 2 im on, some underwater world where there are mermen and weird looking men fused with octopus legs i can only imagine what weirdness awaits me.

Your options are 2 musclebound men that flank either side of you and if you get hit too many times they stop firing and lounge around till you stock up on protein. The special attacks are so funny, one of them you summon a large guy who will float in front of you absorbing the hits while letting you know he's suffering. Another special has your options jump onto and grab an enemy and hold them still so their bullets decrease while they shout to you that the have him and to shoot now. I used it on the cheerleader boss and my men went and got the coach in a grab hold lol.

There's so mugh oddness i could chat about it forever, even when you pause the screen the sillyness continues instead of pausing displaying on screen they have posing instead lol. I need a physical mint copy of this game for my collection as much as it's fun to emulate i want this one as a real copy it might have beaten geppy x as my favourite ps1 shooter. On ebay it's going for stupid money for used copies thankfully amazon japan has them a hell of a lot cheaper although i may stump up the 9000yen and go for a new copy i have seen.
        Last edited by importaku; 23-01-2019, 00:07.

Comment

Just about finished replaying Xbox Armed and Dangerous including the DLC bonus mission I'd never played before.

Might go back and find some of the bonus pickups I've missed as I've learned, thanks to a guide, that it actually marks the levels in the replay mission menu with a star if you didn't get it. I like that as it is usefully helpful.

One of my bugbears is in games with a lot of levels having to replay missions with no idea if you've collected all significant optional pickups or not. Inevitably you have to replay the entire game and even then you still can miss one or two and face the prospect of having to repeat it all over again.

No thanks, it stops being fun at that point. I will admit that in such cases I may, sometimes, make use of a guide or get info from other players to find out what mission the missing item is in but do not tell you where.

That is the only 'cheating' I ever use and I hate it and myself when I do. So when the game itself sensibly provides that info it gets an extra kudos point from me.
          Last edited by fallenangle; 25-01-2019, 13:05.

Comment

Beat Baldur's Gate, had to cheese the final boss a bit, luring out his lackies one by one before taking him on. I couldn't beat him any other way. I also made liberal use of a Summon Monsters Wand to keep some distance between him and my party.

The most challenging enemies were Armoured Skeletons though, it took me 15+ reloads before I finally figured out how to take them down, literaly using summoned monsters as meat shields while three of my characters charged in behind with maces to smash them to bits while my thief attemped to disable the four traps between them and the skelies without getting absolutely murdered.

Overall, it was wonderful, just amazing. I've kept my save and imported it into Baldur's Gate 2 but to be honest, I think I might play Icewind Dale first and come back to Baldur's Gate 2 later.

Comment

Just got a 4 Gig USB Harddrive and so downloaded a ton of classic games for the likes of the PC-Eng CD Rom2 games and GameCube to be played via the NVidia shield.

So playing Rondo of Blood, Splash Lake and loving going back to Star Fox Adv, Mario Sunshine and Monkeyball. Have to say I'm amazed how crap Strider is on the Arcade card, but then how amazing the likes of Art Of Fighting are on it. So regret selling my PC-Engine now

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                Have to say I'm amazed how crap Strider is on the Arcade card,
                It's definitely a dodgy port, but Golden Axe wins the PC Engine award for Worst Port Ever!

Comment

Beat Super Mario 64 last night. First time beating it. Really enjoyable but I got a bit frustrated towards the end so I only ended up with 108 stars. I'll hopefully be able to get the rest after a break from it. Next up for a big Nintendo title I've not completed will be either Zelda LTTP or Ocarina of Time.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesy View Post
                    Zelda LTTP or Ocarina of Time.
                    I'm not a fan of the genre, but LTTP & Ocarina really grabbed me back in the day. I haven't completed either though. I will probably go back to LTTP, because I love the atmosphere. Might as well play it on my Mini.

Comment

Currently playing time bokan- Bokan desu yo on ps1 it's an incredible shooter while im enjoying playing for free i need it for my collection in physical form. You play as the baddies from the time bokan anime. A top down shooter that oozes charm and the levels play out like an episode of anime. You can even transform into huge robotic form for a while depending how many skull coins you picked up, the bosses are huge and a lot of fun. Im shocked that so many japanese ps1 games are unknown to me, thankfully this one is not like most shooters on ps1 that are stupidly expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                        Currently playing time bokan- Bokan desu yo on ps1 it's an incredible shooter while im enjoying playing for free i need it for my collection in physical form. You play as the baddies from the time bokan anime. A top down shooter that oozes charm and the levels play out like an episode of anime. You can even transform into huge robotic form for a while depending how many skull coins you picked up, the bosses are huge and a lot of fun. Im shocked that so many japanese ps1 games are unknown to me, thankfully this one is not like most shooters on ps1 that are stupidly expensive.
                        I used to own the first game (Bokan to Ippatsu: Doronbo Kanpekiban) for the Sega Saturn. Mighty fun

Comment

Currently playing time bokan- Bokan desu yo on ps1 it's an incredible shooter
                          The graphics look quite like a modern Indie game. I don't think I've heard of it before, so I'll put it in my 'must play' folder. I have a feeling that I'm going to really enjoy it.

Nice one, importaku
                          Last edited by Leon Retro; 27-01-2019, 13:36.

Comment

Originally posted by Nico87 View Post
                            I used to own the first game (Bokan to Ippatsu: Doronbo Kanpekiban) for the Sega Saturn. Mighty fun
                            I have been playing that one as well , they are both amazing, think bokan desu yo might be the sequel as it seems to have a few more additions compared to bokan to ippatsu but they both share the same cool shooting segments. Thankfully that one is pretty cheap as well. Damn that playstation classic it's going to ruin my wallet lol, my ps1 game collection is looking like it might be growing again.

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                            Looks like a modern Indie game. I don't think I've heard of it before, so I'll put it in my 'must play' folder. I have a feeling that I'm going to really enjoy it.

Nice one, importaku
                            It's like a snes game on steroids, it's just fun from the very start and doesn't let up. Im going through the game library of the ps1 concentrating on a genre at a time at the moment im tracking down every shootemup i can find then next think i'll will do platform games next. Already tried all my ultimate fave games on the ps classic to see if they will work first now im looking for new ultimate fave games to add as i feel like i have missed so much that was hidden in japan. Back in the day i did import ps1 stuff but i had no idea just how much was out there it's like the famicom all over again, so many hidden gems.

Comment

Back in the day i did import ps1 stuff but i had no idea just how much was out there it's like the famicom all over again, so many hidden gems.
                              I also missed quite a few PS1 gems. I thought I had caught up since getting into retro gaming, but there are still a few that I need to play. That shooter has really grabbed my attention, so I'll be giving it a go asap.

There's definitely something nice about having dedicated mini consoles, so you can focus on each machine's library. I still need to put more stuff on my NES & SNES Minis, but I always end up doing something else. I really need to have more focus.

Comment

Just started Xbox Munch's Oddysee. Have to say I just could not get on with the Oddworld games on the PS, they looked great but that high level 2D gameplay just never grabbed me. But Munch's Oddysee, which was originally bundled with the Xbox, I'm finding quite good fun as far as I've played it. I read a review by somebody who liked the originals who said they'd 'kiddyfied' it but at this point I'm not seeing it as being much different from the tone and cartoon humour of those games. Early days though.

Weird camera position control though, non-optional, you have to use the d-pad and it is slow.

Comment

Working...
                                X