(Retro) What have you been playing this week? Vol.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Goemon View Post
    Oh man, that ‘tranny’ line has started a whole sh!t storm.
    The translator has been getting harassed to the point where he says he’s not going to do translations any more
    Some people always spoil things with hostility. The translator was open to discussion, but some people had to be really negative about the situation. It's always a few idiots who can't conduct themselves properly and end up creating a sh*t storm

Comment

Got the hang of Divine Divinity now. It's quite cumbersome and doesn't really explain anything but it's worth persevering with. I think there's more than one area map but I've spent 19 hours on the first one so far (it's quite large).

-edit-
      Frost weapons make things significantly easier although you can still be overwhelmed by the sheer volume of enemies.
      Last edited by Cepp; 02-02-2020, 19:56.

Comment

5 days off work making the most by juggling a stupid amount of games but enjoying evey minute of it. Yesterday was retro day, ended up playing hours and hours of shivers on the pc one of my fave old pc horror games i was so happy when GOG put it up for sale as getting most ancient pc games to work on modern machines is futile especially when you have a 64bit operating system. Instead GOG do the hard work and teamed up with the scummvm team to get it to work via them and it's fantastic i wish more games would be added i miss companions of Xanth a hell of a lot as well as sierras lost in time although that one does work on scumm vm but not perfectly.

Today been playing yakitori musume and segare ijiri on ps1, cooking and err i don't know what to call segare apart from weirdness distilled and pressed into a disk it's half parts odd and hillarious.

Comment

I wanted to play something a bit more chill, so I started Kirby Super Star on the SNES Mini. I beat the first world, I think? It wasn't very long and there were a bunch of fast moving credits at the end of it. I've only ever beat the GB game so it's all a bit new to me. Short is good though, if it's just six or so worlds as it were, then that's fine by me.

Comment

Played some more of the Konami Arcade Collection.
            Finished Salamander and started Vulcan Venture.
            Pretty addicted to the various Gradius games now!

Comment

I just completed Castlevania on the N64 and am half-way through Gauntlet Legends. It's certainly aged, but I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Strider View Post
                and am half-way through Gauntlet Legends. It's certainly aged, but I'm having a lot of fun with it.
                I remember really liking Gauntlet Legends -- it was a decent update that had nods to the original and its own distinct charm. I really need to go back to Dark Legacy on the GameCube or Xbox.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                  I remember really liking Gauntlet Legends -- it was a decent update that had nods to the original and its own distinct charm. I really need to go back to Dark Legacy on the GameCube or Xbox.
                  It's dated, but I've a lot of fond memories of playing it with my wife before our kids came along, so it was nice to both play it together again over the weekend. The bosses are sponges for damage, but if you seek out the special weapons it makes things significantly easier.

Comment

Originally posted by Strider View Post
                    It's dated,
                    Yeah, it's very much a '90s game, but I like that it offers arcade action rather than something more complex and deep. It's from a time when that style was still viable in the mainstream market. I'll be having a go on the Dreamcast version later in the week.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                      Yeah, it's very much a '90s game, but I like that it offers arcade action rather than something more complex and deep. It's from a time when that style was still viable in the mainstream market. I'll be having a go on the Dreamcast version later in the week.
                      Absolutely, it would never get made today unless it was some sort of digital release and even that's unlikely.
                      I've just opened the ice world and it's losing a bit of its sheen as the stages are now huge, meaning there's a lot of needless backtracking through empty areas. I don't think I've ever completed it in the past so I'm definitely going to get it done this time. I have seven of the rune stones and handily, the wizard tells you where the next available one is hidden. To the armoury!

Comment

[MENTION=164]Strider[/MENTION], have you seen Battle Axe on Kickstarter?

Comment

I haven't so much played anything as spent the last few hours trying to get Seal of Evil working under Windows 10.

I got there, but its taken a lot of trial and error.

If anyone is reading this in the future, add the game's exe as an exception in DEP. If you don't, it won't run. If you're having issues installing it like I did, try temporarily disabling real time protection in Windows Security. Do yourself a favour and grab the NOCD as well. Set compatibility to Windows XP and Run as Administrator, otherwise it'll crash after the intro movies play. You'll need d3d8.dll, libwine.dll and wined3d.dll in the game's root folder. If you don't, you'll get an error message saying you don't have a 3D accelerated card before it exits. You can get them from 'WineD3D For Windows'. Or just run Windows XP

Anyway, it's up and running now so I'll jump into it tomorrow. It does highlight the issue with running old XP games though. That era feels like it was yesterday to me but the OS is 20 years old now. I think I'll see how compatible my Stepmania PC is with XP at the weekend and look into dual booting.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                            [MENTION=164]Strider[/MENTION], have you seen Battle Axe on Kickstarter?
                            Yes. looks pretty cool.

Comment

Making some good progress on Gauntlet now. I have defeated all the bosses and defeated the first incarnation of Skorn. I now have to go back to the levels and find around 5 missing runestones. Reckon I should get it completed over the weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Goemon View Post
                                Oh man, that ‘tranny’ line has started a whole sh!t storm.
                                The translator has been getting harassed to the point where he says he’s not going to do translations any more

https://nichegamer.com/2020/01/27/tr...d-translating/
                                I've been playing these fan translations a little this week, but I had no idea this storm in a teacup had been brewing. I mean FFS, these are FREE translations into which someone poured an untold number of hours into. If people don't like them, don't play them, but to bully and abuse the translator is beyond insane. And now we won't see the fourth Goemon game translated because of it..?!

The original Japanese uses the term "new half", which is crude slang, hence the English translation. What would people prefer? People are actualy pro censorship now? Into what crazy world have we all plunged?

I swear sometimes people really need a slap for their sheer stupidity. I just hope that the translator reconsiders and we'll see the fourth game someday. I actually own a physical copy, but it's a pain having to keep looking up words and kanji.

Comment

Working...
                                X