Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rollergames is cool!

Comment

Yeah Rollergames is awesome, a bit janky in places but really playable and it has some sweet music.

T-Birds are a little slow for me, I always choose Hot Flash

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
        Never saw the appeal in any of the DKC games to be honest. The graphics were admittedly a bit of a wow at the time, as was KI, so I guess that was a lot of their attraction to gamers?
        After about 15 years of not playing it, I went back to it a couple of years ago and wasn't sure what to expect, but it's still an impressive game in many ways. Of course, at the the time there was a lot of fanfare about the graphics, but it's also enjoyable to play. It feels really fluid and satisfying to control, and the graphics, sound and overall design create a really nice ambience. It's a simple, straightforward experience but, for me, a joy to play.
        Last edited by Leon Retro; 25-02-2016, 21:26.

Comment

I love SNES DKC, I've replayed all 3 over the past year or so and the only one I didn't particularly enjoy was 3. 1 is great and 2 was incredible. Dixie and Diddy Kong are a great combo.

Comment

I'm with the 'in' crowd on the DKC referendum. A proper classic platfomer in its own right.

Can't help thinking it'd be regarded more highly in these parts if Hudsonsoft or Konami had developed it. I find the 'me too' references a little unfair to be honest.

Comment

I don't care who developed it. Not all Japanese platformers are great that's for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                I find the 'me too' references a little unfair to be honest.
                Yeah, it's unfair to criticise it for being "just another platformer" when the genre was popular and there were loads of rubbish examples. DKC, away from its fancy graphics, plays far better than a lot of games in the genre that have control and design issues. Even if someone doesn't like some aspects of DKC, I'm sure anyone could appreciate the fluid controls and how well-designed the gameplay is.

Comment

I got my modded US N64 out of a storage tub and had a go on Wave Race 64. It's amazing how every time I go back to it, even in 2016, the wave effect is still brilliantly impressive. Not only does the effect look good, but it still feels like you're battling against the ocean. And then you have the graphics, which are really bright and colourful, with only the lego-esque character models spoiling things a bit. The icing on the cake is the catchy synth music that always puts a smile on my face. Such a great game.
                  Last edited by Leon Retro; 26-02-2016, 21:21.

Comment

Life has got in the way for me for the last five months with a new job and all that so I have been off forums during that time but always not what I have played lol-    (ARCADE) Battle Of Atlantis , Double Dragon II , Berzerk ,Lightning Fighters , Stratos Fighter , Sprint-4 , Salamander 2 , Space Firebird ,Gyrus , USAAF Mustang ,Outrunners , TX-1    (ZX SPECTRUM) Impossamole , Turmoil , Gnasher , Zzoom , Robocop , Kosmic Kanga , Spy Hunter   (MEGADRIVE) Street Of Rage 3 , Ultimate MK3 ,Ariel The Mermaid (COLECOVISION) Centipede , Cosmic Avenger   (SHARP X68000) Phalanx , Final Fight , Star Force , Star Trader (WONDERSWAN) Battle Spirit Digimon Froniter , Buffers Evolution , Glocal Excite , Judgement Silversword , Makaimura   (MSX) Super Perriot    (ZX81) 3D Monster maze , Mazogs (DRAGON 32) Death Chase , Astro Blast , Berzerk (VIC 20) Ms,Pacman ,Cosmic Firebirds ,Weetabix Vs The Titches (SAM COUPE?) Escape From The Planet Of The Robot Monsters , Mr Pac , Prince Of Persia   (NES) Ms.Pacman    (ATARI 2600) E.T , Fathom    (3DO) PO`ed    (Master Sys) Ghost House    (TRS80) Dungeon Of Rom
                    Last edited by aticatac; 29-02-2016, 17:15.

Comment

Have you got all those computers or were you emulating? Would love to see a SAM Coupe in the flesh.

Comment

Kid Klown in Crazy Chase and Top Gear 2 arrived so I've been replaying them.

"You might be missing some of the benefits that stereo can provide"

Love it.

Comment

Playing MD stuff on the train thanks to RetroArch on my borrowed 3DSLL. You've probably all played these so I'm instead going to comment on general controls and the condition of my thumbs after playing each game for a little while:

Streets of Rage 2 (knackered my left thumb)
                          SF2 SCE (knackered my left thumb, couldn't reach the triggers easily, dpad in a difficult position, clawed hands)
                          Super Hang-On (knackered my right thumb and doing the turbo isn't much fun so I just set the R button to accelerate which helped. Still a bit tiring to play, though)
                          Micro Machines 2 (now we're talking. Delightful little game and just as much fun as when I was younger. No problems with the controls and the races are short so no hand fatigue. Also, Violet Berlin!)
                          Road Rash (awww HELL YEAH. Slight right thumb exhaustion holding the B button but not so bad, plus the game makes up for it. Music is great, holding up+C and edging closer to someone before whacking them off their bike is still as rewarding as it ever was. Also, running animation FTW. I know it's just their dodgy art skills but he runs like he's injured one of his legs!)
                          Revenge of Shinobi cracking game. The music is great.
                          Golden Axe II for some reason I did better in this than I usually do(still haven't completed it, though).

Comment

Had a Streets of Rage II session (on Xbox one) with one of the boys last night (our youngest, 7). I thought he'd take one look at the old visuals and ask for Disney Infinity or Lego Marvel instead. But he loved it. I'd forgotten just how much fun co-op scrolling beat 'em ups are (especially one as good as this). Even when he kept 'accidentally' grappling me it was fun It was the Jp ver too, with scanlines, thanks to M2's superb treatment of the games.

Now I want Final Fight to get the bc treatment on Xbox one.

Comment

Was just talking about my replay of it recently a few posts back Phil, great game. (I was through emulation though)

Comment

Amazing how well it's aged. The leap in quality from (the already amazing) first game is far more pronounced than I remember.

Comment

Working...
                                X