Post any time you get ANYTHING retro 3.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@mmmonkey

Lovely collection of Lucasarts games. Man, I really wish we still got great physical packages like that, instead of a generic plastic box with no manual and a disc with an alpha version of the game on it (or a £150 special edition with a poorly made and over-large model ).

Comment

Originally posted by Samuray View Post
      Damn son.....damn.....you're actually making me want a Lynx here.
      Make sure not to look at videos of Lynx games running on emulators, because they look terrible. You have to see the games on the small screen. If you buy a modded Lynx with a modern screen, you also get the option to turn on 'scanlines', which I think looks good.

Shadow of the Beast on the Lynx is like an arcade version of the game with more polished gameplay and impressive effects. The music and sound effects are also nice. I have a soft spot for the Amiga version -- and I've played most other editions -- but the Lynx version is the best. There's something really impressive about it that puts a smile on my face.

Xybots is another good Lynx game. Checkered Flag is a fun racer. The port of Rygar is also something special. I'd say there are around 20-30 games for the system worth considering -- but it depends on what you like. There certainly aren't loads of great games to collect, but it's still a nice system to have and enjoy.
      Last edited by Leon Retro; 25-10-2018, 17:39.

Comment

Impressive lynx collection. Shadow of the beast is garbage though, no matter the system! Nice gfx demo on the Amiga.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
          Shadow of the beast is garbage though, no matter the system! Nice gfx demo on the Amiga.
          At least the Amiga version is a perfect showcase of the system's potential for graphics and audio. It's just a shame that it's a really bad game. It was obviously created as a tech demo, with little regard for gameplay. The Lynx version also shows off the host hardware -- and the tweaked design/gameplay makes it a bit more enjoyable than other versions.

Comment

To be fair I’ve not played the lynx version, but given its foundations...

Great tech showcase on the Amiga though, as you say.

Comment

Pics soon of my Commodore 64 that arrived this week. Waiting on a new psu from Poland and a composite lead. Looks tidy inside and out. Quite pleased with it.

Comment

To be fair I’ve not played the lynx version, but given its foundations...
                Yeah, it's the same dodgy foundations. But at least the developer tweaked things, so it's a bit more entertaining than other versions. I like how it uses some of the features of the Lynx hardware to great effect.

Great tech showcase on the Amiga though, as you say.
                I sometimes put it on just to admire the graphics and music. It's such a shame that the developer didn't have a skilled game designer to help craft satisfying gameplay. It could have easily been something truly special if the dev had looked at how Japanese developers managed to create really playable action games.

While we're discussing the Amiga -- have you seen the new port of Bomb Jack called 'Bomb Jack Beer Edition'? It's almost arcade perfect.
                Last edited by Leon Retro; 25-10-2018, 20:10.

Comment

You know....I feel like SOTB is more than just a tech demo. To me, anyway.

Yes, gameplay is pretty basic, choppy, uneven, harshly difficult....but the game just oozes atmosphere. To this day I sometimes just imagine traveling from the foreground in the very beginning to the mountain range in the back, beneath that awesome sky, towards those chalky white mountains. The fantastic creature design is also impressive. So I'd say it's not only cool gfx.

Comment

Still some of the greatest graphics and music in any game till this day, it's amazing. Plays like a tart but there's something about it's inane gameplay that's appealing. Still prefer to watch and listen than play it.

Tho the PC Engine version and few others play alright, none are really near the Amiga asthetics.

Comment

Pics soon of my Commodore 64 that arrived this week. Waiting on a new psu from Poland and a composite lead. Looks tidy inside and out. Quite pleased with it.
                      I got one of those of PSUs for the c128 that I had, very good!

Comment

but the game just oozes atmosphere.
                        Yeah, it's not simply a tech demo. A lot of care and attention obviously went into the presentation and overall graphical design. The music also blends perfectly with the game world to help makes things captivating. But after you've played it a few times, you realise the actual gameplay isn't very well crafted and exciting enough.

I will always have a lot of nostalgia for Shadow of the Beast, simply because it was the first game that really showed me how special the Amiga tech is. I haven't seen many Amiga games with such impressive graphics and music. Every time I go back to the game though, I always feel it's a shame that the gameplay is quite dull next to the exceptional technical aspects.

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
                        but there's something about it's inane gameplay that's appealing.
                        Even if it had been a simple action romp like Rastan or Rygar, I'd have been happy. I think the developer should have copied those games when it comes to gameplay -- then at least you'd have some straightforward but fun action.
                        Last edited by Leon Retro; 25-10-2018, 21:24.

Comment

What's "Warbirds"? A 3D game or a classic shoot'em up?
                          Warbirds is a WW1 dogfighting game. It's absolutely brilliant.

No Lynx collection should be without Zarlor Mercenary.

Comment

Do C64 not do RGB? I thought they did

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                              Do C64 not do RGB? I thought they did
                              No RGB, but they do output s-video. With my 14" CRT I find composite is good enough. I use s-video through the Framemeister.

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                                I got one of those of PSUs for the c128 that I had, very good!
                                Good to know. I’d considered making my own but don’t really have the time.

I’ll hook it up to the commodore 1081 so I think composite is my only option.

Comment

Working...
                                X