No announcement yet.

Post any time you get ANYTHING retro 3.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oof I bet you paid a pretty penny on Wild Guns and Undercover Cops, even cart only goes for a premium. Nice gets though.

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
      Just had a major paranoia moment, so I’ve been twaddling away with the Gamebit for the past half hour checking all these out…

And thankfully they’re all completely legitimate Especially good as the guy I purchased Ghost Chaser Densei from has a couple of Megadrive games I want too.
      god damn, someone has deep pockets hehe. Cracking set of purchases right there.

Comment

Originally posted by Arashikage View Post
        Oof I bet you paid a pretty penny on Wild Guns and Undercover Cops, even cart only goes for a premium. Nice gets though.
        I decided to go for loose carts with the Super Famicom due to the completely obscene prices for cardboard boxes that are at least 25 years old. You’re essentially paying a premium to give yourself a headache wondering if the box is fake, or if it’s going to collapse in on itself. I’d never be able to get them in a condition my OCD was really happy with without selling my children or pimping out my Mum.

So yeah, no worrying about yellowing tray inserts or deteriorating paper goods, just need to make sure the cartridges themselves are kosher and in nice condition without any discolouration.

Comment

obscene prices for cardboard boxes
          I hate the cardboard boxes Nintendo used with the SNES and N64. NES & Famicom boxes aren't so bad for some reason.

I wish Nintendo had gone with chunky plastic boxes similar to the Mega Drive's. They stand the test of time really well and look and feel much nicer.

Comment

It's down to that cardboard fragility that nowdays makes surviving mint boxed copies of nintendo games so special but also makes collecting boxed games an expensive nightmare. I shudder to think how hard collecting japanese gamecube would be nowdays, seeing a mint copy of super mario world triggers something deep in me that takes me right back to when it was first released and the import mags at the time had full spreads on it years before i would eventually get to play it myself. I would pend many hours pouring over that amazing boxart.

Same with boxed goemon games, popular games tend to be extremely hard to find in mint condition as everyone seems to have trashed them. While growing up been super ocd with looking after my boxes stuff has paid off, even in 2019 a lot of my stuff looks like it's just come from a shop. Well apart from N64 as thats a mixed bunch lol. Most of my stuff is now inside protectors so i don't have to worry about it as much.

It must feel nice to be freed from that burden by going cart only, someone needs to teach me how to do this lol

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
              . I shudder to think how hard collecting japanese gamecube would be nowdays,
              I only have a few(PC Kid, Mr. Driller) that are boxed in mint condition. Anything that wasn't released in the West that takes my fancy. All the rest are US copies that were quite cheap when I bought them last decade. Kirby's Air Ride was the most expensive at around £25.

seeing a mint copy of super mario world triggers something deep in me that takes me right back to when it was first released and the import mags at the time had full spreads on it years before i would eventually get to play it myself. I would pend many hours pouring over that amazing boxart.
              Yeah, something special like that really stirs nostalgia and is worth owning in mint condition. The SFC Goemon games have really attractive boxes. I don't have loads of boxed SFC games -- but made sure to have my faves like Axelay, Contra Spirits, Castlevania IV, F-Zero etc.... I decided a while back to only have boxed copies of games that mean a lot to me. I'm happy to have other good games, such as Macross Scrambled Valkyrie, cartridge only.

It must feel nice to be freed from that burden by going cart only, someone needs to teach me how to do this lol
              You seem to only buy games that you have a strong connection with, so I can understand why you want nice condition boxed copies. If you are focused on a select few titles it's more important to have boxed copies.

My collection is far smaller than it used to be -- after selling off lots of expensive games. They were all titles that I don't have lots of nostalgia for, so I'm happy to either have cartridge-only or use ISO backups. With my PS2 era stuff onwards though, they're all boxed. I haven't found anything from that era that's too expensive -- they're mostly all worth under-£20, with most costing under £10 in mint condition.
              Last edited by Leon Retro; 12-04-2019, 11:10.

Comment

No idea, never even seen the arcade game!
                Its related to the speed of the music. Nicked from HG101 - “Amusingly, the music in this version plays at a faster speed than the arcade or PC Engine versions. This is because the developers only obtained the Mega Drive sounds specifications a mere two weeks before release, so the tunes were erroneously developed under PAL specifications. Therefore, when played in a Japanese or American NTSC system, the music is sped up by 120%.”

Comment

It's down to that cardboard fragility that nowdays makes surviving mint boxed copies of nintendo games so special but also makes collecting boxed games an expensive nightmare. I shudder to think how hard collecting japanese gamecube would be nowdays, seeing a mint copy of super mario world triggers something deep in me that takes me right back to when it was first released and the import mags at the time had full spreads on it years before i would eventually get to play it myself. I would pend many hours pouring over that amazing boxart.

Same with boxed goemon games, popular games tend to be extremely hard to find in mint condition as everyone seems to have trashed them. While growing up been super ocd with looking after my boxes stuff has paid off, even in 2019 a lot of my stuff looks like it's just come from a shop. Well apart from N64 as thats a mixed bunch lol. Most of my stuff is now inside protectors so i don't have to worry about it as much.

Agreed regarding GC. I gave up and sold my JP unit after completing GiFTPiA. I've found it quite easy collecting GB/GBC/GBA games, some of the games I have are still brand new. N64 is extremely easy (and cheap) as well but GC is impossible because of the slipcases.

Those rare-ish SFC ones are a pain. I was considering buying CIB SFC games and build a collection, but after seeing the prices of stuff like DoReMi Fantasy and and that Zelda-like cowboy game (the name escapes me) I just gave up altogether. Mint CIB first party stuff is also pretty expensive.

I'd never go cart only, but I'd settle for custom hard cases (like Splatter house: Wanpaku Graffiti for the FC) with properly printed art work because the price difference between cart only and CIB is extreme in some cases.

All that being said I never play the actual cartridges. I'm pretty serious about my GB/GBC/GBA collection even though I only have 41 games in total, and the best way to preserve them is to play the games from an EverDrive. Easily worth the money: switching games only takes a system reset, no need to worry about save batteries, ability to save anywhere in any GB/GBC game, ability to install improvement patches (like the color patch for SML 2 and the sound and color restoration patch for FF VI GBA), and you don't have to mess around with cardboard boxes. It's also great for testing out games you're unsure of before buying.
                  Last edited by Nico87; 13-04-2019, 11:51.

Comment

Some more Megadrive games…

Comment

Some Japanese MD games have boxart which is mind meltingly cool.

Comment

Alisia Dragoon always comes to mind.

Comment

Always loved the JPN box art to Steel Empire. It invokes massive Laputa vibes.

Comment

Some more Megadrive games…
                            The Castle of Illusion box fills me with nostalgia.

I've always liked the Gley Lancer box art.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post

I've always liked the Gley Lancer box art.
                              One for you Leon.

Let the image sit for 10 seconds

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
                                One for you Leon.

Let the image sit for 10 seconds

https://imgur.com/1xzJink
                                NSFW

Comment

Working...
                                X