No announcement yet.

Post any time you get ANYTHING retro 3.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

YouTube could do with more genuine people. Actual proper gamers not just posers trying to be cool.

Comment

I'd also like to add that Retro Core nobber to the list!

(just kidding Mark)

Comment

I heard a rumour that fammydodd was doing a channel. Fammy'sDuds will see fammydodd review and reminisce over a favourite pair of underpants from his underwear drawer, and will also feature an on the road section of bargain briefs filmed around the UK's many street market stalls

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
          I heard a rumour that fammydodd was doing a channel. Fammy'sDuds will see fammydodd review and reminisce over a favourite pair of underpants from his underwear drawer, and will also feature an on the road section of bargain briefs filmed around the UK's many street market stalls
          I see an urgent Daz challenge is needed

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki View Post
            I see an urgent Daz challenge is needed
            I believe he has a tyre sponsorship too! "Avoid big skidmarks unlike fammydodd, with our a bargain range of like new part worn tyres."

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
              I was annoyed enough by the lack of good info on YouTube (with most of the good info having an overtly American viewpoint) that I scripted, but haven't filmed, me blabbing about the Mega Drive line-up for 1988. Not sure what demand there is for a drab poverty-stricken northerner enthusing about Super Thunder Blade and cleaning Saturn pads in the bathroom sink, but it's something I guess.
              Finish it . I'll help you clean the Saturn pads too

Comment

I was annoyed enough by the lack of good info on YouTube (with most of the good info having an overtly American viewpoint) that I scripted, but haven't filmed, me blabbing about the Mega Drive line-up for 1988. Not sure what demand there is for a drab poverty-stricken northerner enthusing about Super Thunder Blade and cleaning Saturn pads in the bathroom sink, but it's something I guess.
                Sounds good to me mate. I like MJR personally and find people on here to be hyperbolic when it comes to YouTube, but I'd love more localised content, especially from a fellow northerner.

Comment

Well, let's see what you've done good sir. We need more knowledgeable Brits on YouTube and not dicks in top hats spouting ****e.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki View Post
                    I'd also like to add that Retro Core nobber to the list!

(just kidding Mark)
                    Ooh cheeky bugger

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                      Well, let's see what you've done good sir. We need more knowledgeable Brits on YouTube and not dicks in top hats spouting ****e.
                      Oof! I might knock something up once I'm done with this cold then, at the moment it'd just be me making disgusting snorts and choking on cough drops while playing Ghost House on the Master System. I liked your vids snooping round the second-hand shops and looking at all the pops in the train station vending machine. That's my kind of style.

Metal Jesus seems like a pleasant enough guy, I'm just not fond of the list videos. Their unscripted nature makes them very light on information, plus they pack way too many into one video. You just don't get enough of each game (both info/video) to really get a feel for it and they tend to be quoting information they've remembered off the top of their heads rather than prepared research. Obviously somebody must like it as they get a ton of views, but I end up just skimming them for info and looking up gameplay footage elsewhere.

Top Hat guy comes across as a twerp, I mainly only know him from being all the clickbait anime babe thumbnails in my "suggested videos" list, but I've seen a handful. I tend to dislike any wacky "character" type stuff because most just aren't funny. I guess it was unlikely I'd get on with him. I like stuff with a sense of humour, but more when it's coming from ordinary folks while they show off stuff they're passionate/knowledgeable about. Preferably when they're not acting like some rejected Zzzap! character.

End of the day, I get the impression there's a lot of people on YouTube with a massive wall of games but I bet only a few of them actually bother to play them.

Comment

Speaking of youtube, going off topic in here for a while. While there are some crap no useful info youtubers, these 2 channels are pure gold.

Jimmy Hapas Import gaming FTW series are really fun and in depth vids on various obscure games he also covers Goemon the best info source for that series on youtube full stop

Studio mudprints amazing bullet heaven series is a really good primer for shootemups they have reviewed a lot of them and they go into a lot of detail including how the scoring systems work. Rather high production values too, has become a fave of mine to watch.

Comment

When it comes to YouTube and retro gaming, there aren't many people who act like true, knowledgeable enthusiasts. A lot of them are just collectors who ride the hype train and think it's cool to just buy tons of stuff. Then you have loads of people who just copy each other and constantly make videos that seem like a 'Wiki facts' feature. There's no personal touch.

You also have people who dabble in retro, basking in nostalgia and the attention they get, but they're not very fond of retro gaming when it comes down to it. They just have a very mild interest in retro gaming culture, and they ultimately come across as being very half-hearted about playing old games. There's no sincere passion.

I'm obsessed with retro gaming because I have a strong passion for old systems and games etc... It's an interest that has grown over the years, even if I thought I'd lose interest at some point. But no, my enthusiasm for enjoying retro stuff will not abate.

So it means there aren't really any people on YouTube who can speak to me and I feel they're on my wavelength. Most retro-focused people on YouTube are either just messing around copying each other with the same old regurgitated videos, or they're pandering to a wide audience who maybe have a small bit of interest in old hardware and games.

The thing is -- I've always found it difficult to find people who share my passion for gaming. I only had one friend growing up who was as crazy about gaming as I am. Other friends didn't mind gaming, but they couldn't appreciate my intense enthusiasm for all things gaming related. It's still very much the case now with the internet and YouTube.

Comment

The vast majority just see it as a way of making money, and sadly a lot of it. They have little to no interest in the stuff they show, don't even get me started on stuff like the stupid spectrum girl.

Comment

End of the day, I get the impression there's a lot of people on YouTube with a massive wall of games but I bet only a few of them actually bother to play them.
                              quoted for absolute truth. The only ones that know anything are game sack and my life in gaming. The later for tech and game sack for actual true gaming knowledge. Yet I know more . Well, about the Saturn, Mega Drive and Super Famicom at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                                quoted for absolute truth. The only ones that know anything are game sack and my life in gaming. The later for tech and game sack for actual true gaming knowledge. Yet I know more . Well, about the Saturn, Mega Drive and Super Famicom at least.
                                Randomized gaming is awesome and they know their stuff, I quite like Nostalgia Nerd, LGR too. I also don't mind SEGA Lord X. I do have to say that I'm finding DF retro to be a little arrogant even when they are wrong

Comment

Working...
                                X