No announcement yet.

Post any time you get ANYTHING retro 3.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The PlayStation 2 has a reputation for fairly poor image quality when it comes to component video, so I can definitely see s-video on a CRT looking better. Plus all the latency benefits

Comment

I used component on an old PS2 fat with a Loewe TV years back. It was a little sharper than the RGB input but definitely duller overall.

Comment

I bought a really nice, almost unused Black Dell 19" CRT Monitor (£10 Facebook Marketplace) & have added the Retrotink 2X Scart (£100 from VideoGamePerfection.com). My UK Saturn via an official RGB Scart looks really nice on this combo, perfect geometry.

The Retrotink connects to the D-Sub VGA Port & I have my Mister connected to the 2nd port (DVI-D), this looks even nicer.

Comment

I've been meaning to mention this, years ago people on here said component was the best option for Ps2 but that seems to have changed. I suppose it depends on your display, but I get a pretty good picture with component. I have an Rgb scart, too.

Comment

Finally broke down and got this bag of tricks (after confirming that my TV is very compatible with strange video modes, so I can get the most out of it).

Looks bloody great, wish I'd got one ages ago now. I was generally happy with the standard picture output of RGB Scart on my TV, but it was really irritating that "flashing" effects wouldn't look right. But with the line modes on this all working it looks super crisp, barely different than when I plug my Rasperry Pi in through HDMI. Ignore the vertical stripes, it's a completely unmodified Mega Drive 1 and I haven't bothered to do that mod where you cut the trace for the composite.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
              Finally broke down and got this bag of tricks (after confirming that my TV is very compatible with strange video modes, so I can get the most out of it).
              My TV allows 2, 3 and 4x upscaling. I think 4x looks nice and clear/sharp, but you get a small border at the top and bottom. I like how they added 'Hybrid Scalines', because I think it looks more authentic than standard scanlines.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                My TV allows 2, 3 and 4x upscaling. I think 4x looks nice and clear/sharp, but you get a small border at the top and bottom. I like how they added 'Hybrid Scalines', because I think it looks more authentic than standard scanlines.
                Hybrid scanlines are the way to go. I use that setting on my Mega SG and Super NT.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                  and Super NT.
                  Yeah, it also looks good on the NT. You get a more vibrant image.

Comment

I'll probably get thrown out of here like I'm in an old Western, but I haven't actually used scanlines as I ultimately don't mind the look of the big old pixels. Might have a tinker with them later though!

Comment

I'll probably get thrown out of here like I'm in an old Western, but I haven't actually used scanlines as I ultimately don't mind the look of the big old pixels. Might have a tinker with them later though!

I personally don't like how old games look on LCD screens without scanlines. Even with a good scaler, I'm not happy until scanlines are enabled. It makes retro games look similar to how they are on a CRT, so that's what I aim for. But some people might feel having no scanlines looks good, so opinion varies.
                      Last edited by Leon Retro; 22-07-2020, 17:07.

Comment

Nah, I think you're right tbh. I'm perfectly happy with integer scaling without scanlines.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                          Nah, I think you're right tbh. I'm perfectly happy with integer scaling without scanlines.
                          The only thing I really dislike is image filters, such as SuperEagle and HQx etc...

The filters that remove pixel blockiness.

Comment

Yep! Filters are abysmal, I can't understand why anyone would want to use anything like that.

Comment

Still trying to figure that out myself there's like hundreds of the things and all they do is make it look like you need glasses does anyone like looking at a blurry mess. Well apart from N64 fans lol.

Even scanlines look terrible if they are too dark, i'd rather do without if that's the only option.

Comment

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
                                A Pentium III system is your best bet then, one with at least a single ISA slot for DOS sound. Search eBay for Socket 370 systems, they're cheaper than the earlier Slot 1 motherboards, probably because they don't have that "wow" factor, but they run faster CPUs out of the box. You might struggle to find an all-in-one desktop that's black from that era but you could always transplant it into a new case. You could also source the parts individually if you're feeling up to it.

Pentium 4 PC's can also make for a very cheap Window 98 rig that'll run everything and usually comes in black. Throw in a Geforce 4 and you're laughing when it come to 9x gaming. You may have more issues with sound in DOS though. It can be done with various results but it depends how far into the weeds you want to go with it.
                                Hi again Cepp, I managed to score a Pentium 4 rig for £55 in the end, here is the description:

"Here I have one of my Retro Gaming Vintage computers with an Intel Pentium 4 2.93Ghz CPU, 256Mb RAM and Windows 98 second edition with an ATI Radeon 9600 graphics card for sale, these don’t get used as much as they should do so I am thinning down the collections I have...This is the ultimate Windows 98 gaming machine pretty much as fast as you can get that is compatible with all the drivers needed to work properly
                                This machine is a tower form factor machine, this is a great machine for playing older retro games on.
                                Specs:
                                Intel Pentium 42930Mhz CPU skt775
                                256Mb DDR RAM
                                DVD-ROM
                                Windows 98 Second Edition installed
                                VGA output
                                RS232 serial port
                                Ethernet 100Mb Network port
                                Parallel port
                                4 x USB Port
                                ATI Radeon 9600 128Mb AGP Graphics Card

this is an ideal machine to play those older games on, ideal LAN party machine due to its decent power."

At that price I felt that battling to get the sound working on some titles would be well worth it. Here's a picture: - https://www.flickr.com/photos/773779...blic/lightbox/

Have I wasted £55?

Comment

Working...
                                X