Post any time you get ANYTHING retro 3.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by importaku View Post
    I sure as hell wish this stupid retro inflation bubble would just burst already but the prices of everything has been climbing & climbing for years and it doesn't seem to want to crash at all. I think now it's either just grit your teeth & cough up the cash before you end up paying even more, or just emulate.

Everything in the states that is retro has a target on it, pretty much everything has been covered on youtube 100 times over. Bargins are a rarity and if you do find one Americans tend to rape you on shipping costs.
    Yeah most US sellers that do actually ship to japan charge $22 shipping which is crazy considering it costs about $4 to ship to the states from Japan with an extra $4 for tracking. But thats down to a scam from ebay using their posting service, the sellers get a fraction of those shipping fees

Ive just ordered an XStation which was $100, thats cheaper than most of the games I mentioned and will let me play hundreds of games on original hardware. Id rather buy the original disks but if they keep going up in price theres no way I can keep buying them.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost View Post
      Yeah most US sellers that do actually ship to japan charge $22 shipping which is crazy considering it costs about $4 to ship to the states from Japan with an extra $4 for tracking. But thats down to a scam from ebay using their posting service, the sellers get a fraction of those shipping fees

Ive just ordered an XStation which was $100, thats cheaper than most of the games I mentioned and will let me play hundreds of games on original hardware. Id rather buy the original disks but if they keep going up in price theres no way I can keep buying them.
      I once had a seller try and tell me that $20 to ship a single trading card was normal, a trading card that weighed next to nothing. Oooh an Xstation will keep you occupied for a while a good way of trying out some of the more expensive titles without the hassles of emulation.

Todays arrival here was Cellophanes, it finally turned up as for a moment i thought parcelforce had lost it as the tracking didn't update in aaaages. This is the first time i have been super impressed with a amazon Japan marketplace seller they took stupid levels of care in making sure this game was well protected the game was already in mint condition to start with but they placed a sleeve over the case then wrapped it in foam paper and then wrapped it in a large layer of bubble wrap even the chirashi that they bundled in for nothing was in a clear file then placed in a plastic wrapper and then taped to a thick piece of cardboard before everything was put in a stupidly sturdy cardboard box, quite honestly i'm not used to that level of care usually it's slapped in a letter pack and sent to Tenso lol. Almost never leave feedback on amazon but that seller sure got some. Ignore the Doraemon himitsu dougu encyclopedia lol.

The chirashi they sent with the game is pretty cool i doubt many still exist for such an obscure game.

Comment

And the postman has just arrived with my PS1 rad2x cable however i have no mini hdmi cables on hand so i can't test it out till i do, hopefully the hdmi to mini hdmi adapter i bought from amazon turns up tomorrow.

Will at least be able to play PS1 on my tv again without the picture looking like total gash. Although a stopgap till i get my hands on one of those PS1 digital boards.
        Last edited by importaku; 09-09-2020, 19:00.

Comment

The HDMI mod looks mint, even better than the PS1 into an OSSC. Nice solution for less cables.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
            The HDMI mod looks mint, even better than the PS1 into an OSSC. Nice solution for less cables.
            it's my next most wanted hardware purchase hope i can get one this month no idea when the next batch will drop it just says september on site.

Comment

The PS1 Digital requires soldering/modding doesn't it? It's not an easy install as the (current) GC Loader? The Rad2x cable looks like a nice thing for some "hd" Rage Racer-ing.

Comment

yeah the PS1 digital mod requires some extremely accurate soldering to get those flex cables on those chips & connectors. Probably gonna have to pay someone to install it as i popped one of my PS1 consoles open to take a peek. Yeahhh i'm not gonna risk a $160 kit lol that chip is tiny.

Comment

I think I'd be confident to install it for myself, but wouldn't want to risk botching an install for someone else... haha, pricey mistake!

Comment

yup its a lot of money riding if you nuke a flex cable lol, the money it will cost me to get it installed would be cheaper than buying a suitable iron as mine is jank and i'd never risk using it on a console.

Comment

With my housemates leaving soon and my gaming office room becoming available again, I've been looking at CRTs in the local area. If you limit eBay to a 50 mile radius and do a generic daily search for TVs in that area, there's still a decent chunk to choose from. A lot of sellers know these TVs are good for retro though, and ask too much imo, like the seller of this TV who wanted £50 as a starting bid with an £80 BIN. A few messages back and forth after it went unsold though, and it was mine tonight for £20

It works with both RGB and NTSC composite (More for the 2600 in regards to the latter) which is nice. I tried watching some Slayers with the DVD drive but it doesn't seem to work. A pity, but no big deal.

Comment

Is that a PAL PSone?

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                          Is that a PAL PSone?
                          It is, and that question just had me digging out my NTSC grey PSX! Still works fine with composite thankfully.

Comment

Yeah I was going to be pedantic and say that a PAL PSone will output PAL60 instead of NTSC but it looks as if you've got NTSC properly covered too!

Comment

I still miss my old tv, it was a rear projection jobby but it accepted everything hell it could even do ntsc through rf in both forms it sucked that the red emitter gun died on it.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                                I still miss my old tv, it was a rear projection jobby but it accepted everything hell it could even do ntsc through rf in both forms it sucked that the red emitter gun died on it.
                                Rear projection TVs have such a cool aura about them. Not something I ever got to try sadly.

I flip flop between CRTs and upscalers so much, I'm sure at some point it'll just become unaffordable to do so. On the plus side, this one's quite small and should be easier to justify keeping around. I've got a hankering for some Time Crisis.

Comment

Working...
                                X