No announcement yet.

Post any time you get ANYTHING retro 3.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sometimes I wake up with the Micro Machines Turbo Tournament menu music playing in my head. Durr durr, dur duh dur duh duh.

Brilliant game, and the last time I played it it had lost nothing in multiplayer. I grew up playing it on the reg with my next door neighbour as a kid in the 90s, and went on to introduce it to my housemates at uni in the late 2000s via emulator on the Wii. It was still just as much fun!

I don't think the formula has been bettered, to be honest*. I've tried numerous other versions, licensed or unlicensed, over the years, and they've always been pretty boring for the most part. Toybox Turbos was particularly egregious (we ended up turning it off and playing Turbo Tournament instead). Although I do remember V3 being pretty decent back on the PS1.

*With the exception of '96, which is basically the exact same game but with more content and worse music, and which I don't have quite the same affection for, for whatever reason.

Comment

Micro Machines '96 did have the track editor with the insanely long passwords though.

Comment

I didn’t go for ‘96 as a) I never played it BITD so wouldn’t have the same nostalgia, b) as I never played it I wouldn’t know if it had Ferry Fiasco which is a necessity, and c) MM2 TT is available as a standard non-J-Cart. This is the version I bought so I can use the four player adapter instead of plugging pads into the cart (my Megadrive is on a shelf above the TV with joypad extension cables neatly routed round the back and out to the side).

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
          I do remember V3 being pretty decent back on the PS1.
          I bought it along with the four player adapter back in the day purely out of my love for MM2 TT. Whilst you’re right - it was decent - it was also a bit of a disappointment when compared to the Megadrive originals. It seemed to have a lack of variety in the level types IIRC. And there was no Ferry Fiasco!

Comment

Got a 2nd Memotech MTX yesterday. It's a 500 this time. Not sure if it works as it had no PSU. Luckily, I have one I built for my existing one.
            Will try it later this weekend, once I've cleaned it and inspected it.

Comment

Originally posted by gunrock View Post
              Got a 2nd Memotech MTX yesterday. It's a 500 this time. Not sure if it works as it had no PSU. Luckily, I have one I built for my existing one.
              Will try it later this weekend, once I've cleaned it and inspected it.
              Beautiful machine. You are lucky to have one, never mind two!

Comment

Has anyone purchased a Retro-Bit controller from Sega Shop?

I’m about to pick up a MD and Saturn Retro-Bit 2.4Ghz controller but noticed on the official Sega site, they mention an exclusive Sega case. Is this different from the one you would get if you go for one from Amazon?

SEGA Shop is your one stop shop for official and exclusive SEGA products with merchandise from your favourite SEGA games including Sonic the Hedgehog, Golden Axe, Streets of Rage and Yakuza!

Comment

I haven’t seen the case but I’d buy it from the Sega Shop anyway as I’m boycotting Amazon, especially right now in the wake of Covid and the pressure it’s added on to an already under-fire retail sector. I’m not rich, and I don’t want to make Bezos any richer or Amazon any more powerful than it’s already become.

And to think only a decade or so ago people used to consider McDonalds, Nike and Microsoft to be evil empires... the hegemony of Amazon, Google and Facebook have blown them out of the water in terms of power and wealth.

But local if you can. As the old saying goes, use it or lose it.

Comment

That’s a totally fair comment and I must admit that I was looking for an excuse to buy elsewhere. I might do just that!

It’s odd as if the case is an exclusive Sega Shop bonus, I would shout about it, but there’s no pictures!

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                      Wow, only paid for this last night and there it was, waiting for me when I got home. First of many 3DS games. Thanks to you guys.

Very nice, I have the same one. I did get very bored of the dialogue I have to admit, but I was very busy at the time too /excuses.
                      I might suggest playing Endless Frontier (SRW OG 無限のフロンティア) first, but I doubt it is needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Wools View Post
                        It’s odd as if the case is an exclusive Sega Shop bonus, I would shout about it, but there’s no pictures!
                        It is that. Please post a pic if/when you get it as I’ve been mulling over getting a second 2.4Ghz Megadrive pad… not that I’ve had any mates over for 2p action thanks to lockdown.

Comment

Sure, will do!

Comment

Originally posted by Wools View Post
                            Has anyone purchased a Retro-Bit controller from Sega Shop?

I’m about to pick up a MD and Saturn Retro-Bit 2.4Ghz controller but noticed on the official Sega site, they mention an exclusive Sega case. Is this different from the one you would get if you go for one from Amazon?

https://www.segashop.co.uk/collectio...74ef6199&_ss=r
                            I bought the USB wired Retro-Bit Saturn controller back in March and now the d-pad is creaking and grinding around quite a bit. There is also plastic dust around the casing. Of course, this is natural, but not this soon.

I can't honestly recommend their stuff, despite the amazing input response.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post

I've not had the chance to check the latency yet, but they are very comfortable controllers.
                              I actually came back to post about these.

I'm pretty certain these are now my favourite controllers ever made. The ergonomics suit me perfectly. They are an absolute joy to hold, even when I'm not playing a game I'll reach over and pick one up just to feel relaxed. It's like Sega themselves have made a Saturn V.3 controller and fixed everything wrong with the V.2 (loose, rattley buttons, too lightweight, cheap surface feel, etc.).

Over the 2.4GHz there is a tiny fraction of input latency which I can only really feel when I'm playing either Final Fight or Super Mario World on my ASUS IPS display. When I play either of these games on the PVM the latency evaporates into nothing, at least nothing I can pick up. What's more; even if I did pick up on any problems the USB plugs right in and gives me ultra-low latency numbers near identical to the aforementioned Retro-Bit Saturn USB.

I also don't feel 'wrong' playing non-Sega games with them. They suit everything wonderfully.

I'm buying two more for archival purposes, just in case something happens to these; or 8bitdo go bust / get shut down.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                                I bought the USB wired Retro-Bit Saturn controller back in March and now the d-pad is creaking and grinding around quite a bit. There is also plastic dust around the casing. Of course, this is natural, but not this soon.

I can't honestly recommend their stuff, despite the amazing input response.
                                Thanks for your feedback about it. Sad to hear you've not had a great experience with it, I've heard similar online so have always been a bit suspect around picking it up, probably why I've been taking so long committing to buy one!

I may still grab a This is Cool Saturn one as it is an itch I need to scratch but good to hear about 8BitDo, as I've always been suspicious about them. But if they are as good as you say they are, I’ll keep an eye out for my emulated MD needs!

Comment

Working...
                                X